Wiki Posts
Search

First time out with the MGT 8.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default First time out with the MGT 8.0

I got a new MGT 8.0 last week and finally broke it in last night. WOW!!! It's pretty fast, that .50 is insane. Very easy to tune, easy to get started and keep running. I had some fun with it today in a gravel pit and lots of WOT runs. My only complaint is the weak body mounts, I already broke both front and rear! I also tore off the screws on the rear bumper and I'm still not sure how I'm gonna get them out (or replace them).

Anyone else have one still? These things are a blast out of the box, I'm not sure whey they're not more popular. I need to snap some pics of the aftermath
Old 04-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gtxracer
Anyone else have one still? These things are a blast out of the box, I'm not sure whey they're not more popular. I need to snap some pics of the aftermath
because alot of trucks are better and cheaper. lets see, we all know the savage is the best basher hands down. the revo is the best racer. the mgt is neither. for the price of a mgt you could get a savage which is a better basher and a revo which is a better racer.

but thats just my $.02
Old 04-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I can't see why either, I have the 4.6, it is very tough, the only things I would replace would be the bulkheads and body posts, they are the weak points.

But that is why I got a roll cage, LRP Z.28R Spec 3, and a JP-4, fast as hell, worse on the corners (that is what my Slash is for), but I can't seem to break anything.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MoparRules
because alot of trucks are better and cheaper. lets see, we all know the savage is the best basher hands down. the revo is the best racer. the mgt is neither. for the price of a mgt you could get a savage which is a better basher and a revo which is a better racer.

but thats just my $.02

I'm not a mathematician or anything like that, but I'm pretty sure you CAN'T buy a new Revo and a new Savage with what I paid.

Oh, and maybe you should pick up the latest issue of RCCA Monster Trucks. MGT 8.0 beat out the Savage Oh and I've had two Revos, they're good trucks, but out of the box they need improvement. The radios are garbage, the engine is finicky and hard to tune (I've had 3 2.5s and a couple 3.3s), and for racing the tires aren't very good. The platinum edition is better, but the radio still is entry level at best.

If it makes you feel any better my 2nd pick was a Savage XL. The .50 and the radio system in the MGT is what did it for me. Plus it was a little cheaper (hence another reason why I think you did your math wrong).
Old 04-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not a mathematician or anything like that, but I'm pretty sure you CAN'T buy a new Revo and a new Savage with what I paid.

Oh, and maybe you should pick up the latest issue of RCCA Monster Trucks. MGT 8.0 beat out the Savage Oh and I've had two Revos, they're good trucks, but out of the box they need improvement. The radios are garbage, the engine is finicky and hard to tune (I've had 3 2.5s and a couple 3.3s), and for racing the tires aren't very good. The platinum edition is better, but the radio still is entry level at best.

If it makes you feel any better my 2nd pick was a Savage XL. The .50 and the radio system in the MGT is what did it for me. Plus it was a little cheaper (hence another reason why I think you did your math wrong).
well according to tower hobbies the savage is $430, the revo $460 and the MGT8 is $515 so i did my math correctly...

and i believe experience over magazines. we use them for a long time, they use them for a day for their tests. and the revo would woop your mgt anyday

so, in conclusion, you have another useless monster truck.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Addict

I'm pretty sure it's not useless because I used it today. I'm not sure where you're going with that, maybe you could explain it to me.

By the way, the regular Savage isn't what I was looking at and is not the current model. The Savage XL is what I was talking about, which is what most people would want. Bigger, better, meaner. That's why they compared the MGT 8.0 and the XL, not a regular. Not doubting the XL, it's a nice truck and I wouldn't mind owning one, but bang for the buck, the MGT was my top choice. The Revo is a good truck, like I said. But not bang for the buck, even for racing.

Have you ever driven a MGT 8.0? Just wondering since you said it came from experience.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

I'm pretty sure it's not useless because I used it today. I'm not sure where you're going with that, maybe you could explain it to me.

By the way, the regular Savage isn't what I was looking at and is not the current model. The Savage XL is what I was talking about, which is what most people would want. Bigger, better, meaner. That's why they compared the MGT 8.0 and the XL, not a regular. Not doubting the XL, it's a nice truck and I wouldn't mind owning one, but bang for the buck, the MGT was my top choice. The Revo is a good truck, like I said. But not bang for the buck, even for racing.

Have you ever driven a MGT 8.0? Just wondering since you said it came from experience.
im not saying its useless in that sense, i mean what is its purpose?

well i was talking about the savy 4.6, which i have. and just outa curiosity. how did you get the mgt8 so cheap?

and yes. ive driven ALOT of peoples cars. i have a track in my back yard and the local rc club has some races here so i can speak from experience.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the mgt 8.0 is more the competitor with the t-maxx i think. It dosent match up to the savage in bashing but it can outrun and out handle one.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

Bashing, dune running, beach romping, and overall fun. Very useful if you ask me. If I wanted to race, I'd buy a RC8T, but I'll have one of those sometime soon.

Good deals are everywhere. My LHS has the 8.0 for $510 in the store, so it's really not that much more.

I understand the concept of "what I have is better than anything else out there" but that doesn't mean everything that isn't a Savage is junk. I'm sure you believe your Savage is better than all other Savages too. It's just a biased opinion which is fine to have, but maybe you should try to keep an open mind before telling someone they bought "another useless monster truck...because alot of trucks are better and cheaper." If it were actually true, then it would be a different story. But I doubt you can even compare the digital FM radio of the MGT 8.0 to that of the Savage or Revo. As far as size goes, the MGT 8.0 has the biggest engine of them all. The only truck I can think of that beats it is the EK-4 monster truck from a few years back that came with a .70 then a .90.

Make sure you got your facts right before you go trash talking someone's brand new MT. Fact of the matter is, the MGT is well equipped and it doesn't take more than a few minutes after opening the box to figure that out. If you wanna talk "experience" then you don't have very much since you said you haven't owned a MGT. I haven't had a Savage, but then again, I'm not bashing it either. I know it's a good truck, there are a ton of them out there. Like I said, bang for the buck. This is my basher, I don't want to upgrade very much and I want it to be ready to go. Spending another $150+ on a good radio just isn't in my budget. Plus I hate the TVP design and the tires that come on the XL too.

So you see, you may think you have the best monster truck in the world, but you don't. If I follow your current transgression, you need the Savage XL to have the "best MT in the whole freakin' world!" But the guy with the MGT 8.0 thinks he has the best MT in the world. See the point? Be happy with what you got, but don't bash someone else who doesn't have it. That just shows immaturity.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by snowboard094
the mgt 8.0 is more the competitor with the t-maxx i think. It dosent match up to the savage in bashing but it can outrun and out handle one.
From what I understood the Savage had less tuning options (shock positions, etc) and that's the reason why the performance is lacking. This also makes it a little tougher too. Simple = reliable and strong. I have to give the MGT 8.0 credit though, there were some real nasty crashes today that should have broke something important - but didn't. At the track last night there was a 6ft nose dive right on the front bumper that should have broke it clean off. Nope, bounced, landed on the bumper again, good to go.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

well you cant say the revo is the best racer and savage the best basher i think the mgt just hasnt been marketed the best and in stock at hobby shops and thats what makes them sell ive seen a few run and they looked alright a little tweeking and tire swap it will do fine on a track or figure out the weak links to bash with it. you know with AE the qualitiy will be decent and thats what matters
now go get ya some lrp tires and take it to the track and eat up some revos to prove to the world there not the onley race mt out there that wins races
Old 04-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The Savage is slow and doesn't handle out of the box, but is the best JUMPER there is, the Revo is the racer, the Platinum's radio gear isn't a problem because it doesn't have any, and the MGT 8.0 is the BEST M/T on an even basis.

The Savage XL is a great pile of dog do do.....
Oversized, underpowered and weak drivetrain.....

I like the new version Tmaxx with the exception of going back to 4 AA receiver batteries.....
Someone over ther was having a bad day when that decision was made....
Old 04-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

i have both the mgt 8.0 and the revo 3.3

the mgt is a lot better basher IMO. Being able to do wheelies shifting into 2nd and not flip over because of the built in wheele bar is awesome.

100 foot without the front wheels ever touching the ground is great.

I'm really considering doing a few mods and making my 8.0 into a racer...you could go with a bigger brake setup, stronger steering servo, and lower it just a little bit and you'd be ready to rock IMO

Also when the .50 is tuned in I don't think theres another monster truck that can keep up with it
Old 04-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

also the body mounts are the only bad things about the 8.0s

I had machined 4 posts out of aluminum and used the plastic body mounts and havn't had a problem since.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JustinT22
also the body mounts are the only bad things about the 8.0s

I had machined 4 posts out of aluminum and used the plastic body mounts and havn't had a problem since.
Same. I already broke them but replaced them with plastic units. If these break, I have a metal rod I picked up that I'll drill and modify to take their place. I did manage to tear up the rear bumper too, but I have a feeling stronger screws would cure that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.