Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Clod Help what electronics do I need or should I get? >

Clod Help what electronics do I need or should I get?

Clod Help what electronics do I need or should I get?

Old 02-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Clod Help what electronics do I need or should I get?

I have a like mint Clod that I got but it has no electronics just the servo. Does any one know what I need or what would be good. I love this truck everything is original.. thanks. if you know what I need where do I get it from that would help. here is a couple pics all original.

Last edited by tnralberta; 03-27-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

In mine I used a Futaba 9402 high speed high torque servo. I use Tekin G9 ESCs. They are old but great for clods. Runs two motors and two batts with no issues. I have 2 13 turn motors and two 6 cell batts in mine.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

sweet thanks, but can you run like a VXL ESC with what motors ?
Old 02-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

The VXL is a brushless ESC. The Clodbuster requires 2 motors in order to run. Most people run mild brushed motors since 2 brushed motors are much less expensive to run. Also your running equpment will be determined by what you want to do. If you're just looking to cruize around the yard then you could go with some stock or mild modified brushed motors. If you would like good torque and want to turn it into a rock crawler you should go with a high turn brushed motor. I haven't seen a Clodbuster with dual brushless motors before and I'm not sure if the truck would even hold up with dual brushless. There is another site called rccrawler.com that has TONS of specific info on the Clodbuster and is also a great source for aftermarket parts. That truck is truly a great find and looks to be in great shape! I would definatly take really good care of it!
Old 02-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Adept

do you have any suggestions on what I should use, I have 7 different r/c but now nothing about them. Besides changing tires ect. I get confused when it comes to ESC or motors. I just put a motor in and call it good. I have 2 titan 550 motors but they are a hair to big, I need a nice little st up if any body has one email me. I got a whole list of things parts aftermarket parts from Integy.com . They have some good stuff.I will check that sight out thanks.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Well the ESC will need to be able to handle two motors. What kind of driving will you be doing with this truck?
Old 02-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Adept

not rock crawling, maybe hills, just play around. maybe crawling later.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

You could go with something like this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUJ1&P=0

Or if you want zero maintence and long lasting you could go with the Tamiya orignal motors:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPML4&P=0
Old 02-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

thanks alot for the info they have some good priced stuff better than any other sight. thanks again.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech Initiate

use a super rooster. its a great esc and can easily handle 2 motors.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

That would be my recomendation too, however they are discontinued and pretty hard to find. You might be able to pick up a used one somewhere, maybe Ebay? However if you are going to run the stock Tamiya motors almost any ESC would be able to run 2 of those.

Here is a page that explains how to wire motors in series or parallel.
http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/H...ors/index.html
Old 02-21-2009, 03:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nice looking Clod!
However, it's not 100% stock... Your shocks are NOT factory issue

Originally Posted by dont slow down
The VXL is a brushless ESC. The Clodbuster requires 2 motors in order to run. Most people run mild brushed motors since 2 brushed motors are much less expensive to run. Also your running equpment will be determined by what you want to do. If you're just looking to cruize around the yard then you could go with some stock or mild modified brushed motors. If you would like good torque and want to turn it into a rock crawler you should go with a high turn brushed motor. I haven't seen a Clodbuster with dual brushless motors before and I'm not sure if the truck would even hold up with dual brushless. There is another site called rccrawler.com that has TONS of specific info on the Clodbuster and is also a great source for aftermarket parts. That truck is truly a great find and looks to be in great shape! I would definatly take really good care of it!
Clod handles brushless just fine! Even in -30*C
You just have to remember that you need sensorLESS motors.

Clodtalk.com is another good forum, and Clodparts.com is an encyclopedia of almost everything ever made for the Clod.

Don't put too strong of a servo in the stock location, otherwise you might crack the chassis.

Watch the center of it, where the servo is mounted... It flexes
And that's only with a Hitec 645MG!

If you're willing to carry the extra battery pack, with some slight modifications you can fit E-Maxx motors in it... You can get an entire E-Maxx motor/esc combo for fairly cheap, thanks to all the brushless E-Maxx stuff
Old 02-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

thanks alot your a big help but I don't know the difference between motors as I stopped doing rc back when the B3 came out lol I tried to put my titans out of my Revo converted with emax but it is a hair to big!! out of all 7 of my r/c this is my favorite. I found alot of different sights 6 different ones and so far rcplanet is the best but I will check out the others you gave me and let you know. thanks. again. yeah on the shock I forgot the guy told me he upgraded those.

Last edited by tnralberta; 02-21-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You need to put spacers between the metal backing plate, and the suspension arms, in the area that goes around the bigger ball studs on the center chassis section...

Then, depending on luck, some slight trimming on the suspension arm on the endbell side of the motor...

A lot of people also just run the 17T Speedgem motors... But with mod motors, unless specifically designed for the truck, you will have to take the motor apart and turn the endbell 180 degrees on the rear motor.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Tech Adept

yeah thats a pain I just want to get something that will fit perfect. Those 17t speed gems where is the best place to get those?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.