Savage x 4.6

Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 AM
pmp
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cupton79
what is the part number for the throttle mod? that looks awesome and it has to function much better than the factory setup. I would like to do that to my truck!!

thanks,
chuck
Ok here are the part numbers
OFNA linkage sliders (pt#10104)
OFNA linkage kit (pt#10724)
OFNA hd servo horn kit (pt#30661)
If you have any more questions just ask
Old 02-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pmp
Ok here are the part numbers
OFNA linkage sliders (pt#10104)
OFNA linkage kit (pt#10724)
OFNA hd servo horn kit (pt#30661)
If you have any more questions just ask
do you have a link to indtructions?

thnx
Old 02-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Initiate

thank you very much!! I have seen several other trucks with that mod but until now nobody could tell me what the part #S were for all the pieces needed.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Need some help here guys...Im using the HPI metal spur/pinion 49/17 combination for the HPI F4.6 engine.It has awesome power. But whats the best combination for a medium sized track? Thanks...
Old 02-02-2009, 10:11 PM
pmp
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MoparRules
do you have a link to indtructions?

thnx
STEP 1 - REMOVE EXISTING LINKAGE SET UP
The first thing you want to do is remove the existing throttle and brake linkage set up. This will include the servo horn, linkages, springs, throttle mixer etc.

Once you have removed all these items you should end up with the following bits and pieces off your truck.

STEP 2 - PREPARE THE NEW GEAR FOR INSTALL
The next thing you want to do guys is preppare all the new items, as well as some old items from the orginal linkage set up for install.

I find that by laying everything out will help you visualise what you need and where it will all end up going.

You are going to have to bend the supplied OFNA threaded rod to a similar shape as the existing HPI thorrle arm. Once you get it close, leave it for the moment, as once you install it you may find you need to change the shape a bit to suit.

Get the small silver OFNA ball end and nut and attach it to the throttle mixer. This is what the Blue OFNA ball connector and threaded rod will connnect too.

Thread the Blue OFNA ball connection onto the the throttle rod too.

Get your existing HPI brake rod and put a small bend in it about half way between where the servo is and where it connects to the gearbox rod, this just helps it move freely. This bend only needs to be small.

You are also going to have to bolt the sliders that come with the kit to the servo horn. Use the long single bolt supplied, not the two small ones and connect BOTH Sliders to the OUTSIDE hole on the Servo Horn.

Here are some photos of the above items.

** Please note the the top throttle slider on the below image was moved to the outer hole (as per described above) for a better fit and clearance. See the installed photos for reference.

STEP 3 - INSTALL IT ALL ONTO THE TRUCK
Now the fun part, you get to fit it all onto the truck.

The first thing you need to do is get a small, maybe half inch round file and just file a small half circle into the radio box lid where the throttle rod ends. This gives just a little more clearance. Please see the installed photos for more details on where and how big this filed area is (not big at all and not noticeable).

Start by re-fitting the throttle mixer to the plastic bracket on the TVP.

Then attach your servo horn to the servo.

Attach the existing HPI brake rod assembly to the brake mount on the side of the gearbox and slide the rod through the lower slider on the servo horn. Instead of re using the HPI brake knob and spring, I opted for the OFNA metal end and a small piece of fuel tube - this will give a much more responsive and firm brake feel.

Make sure you have a Blue OFNA metal stop on the throttle rod BEFORE you slide it onto the slider.

Slide you new throttle rod through the top servo horn and attach the Blue OFNA ball end connector to the Silver OFNA ball end you installed on your throttle mixer. Finish off with the thorrtle spring and another OFNA metal stop once it is actually in the slider. Also connect the existing HPI carb link to the throttle mixer and carb slide.

See below for the install and finished linkage.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:16 PM
pmp
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by razzie
Need some help here guys...Im using the HPI metal spur/pinion 49/17 combination for the HPI F4.6 engine.It has awesome power. But whats the best combination for a medium sized track? Thanks...
Im using a 52/15 on what I would call a medium sized track. thier is tripples and double doubles and this seems to work for me. but all gearing will be different depending on track surface and track grip. Also depends on clutching also.
All I can say is go to the track and try different setups and see what works. I would think 49/17 is just as good of a starting point as any.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 PM
pmp
Tech Apprentice

thank you very much!! I have seen several other trucks with that mod but until now nobody could tell me what the part #S were for all the pieces needed.
you can also use the dynamite 1/8 scale buggy linkage kit but it doesnot come with the rod that comes in the ofna one.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:42 AM
Tech Initiate

just wondering, but where do you get diff fluid? and what weight do you recomend?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:43 AM
pmp
Tech Apprentice

just wondering, but where do you get diff fluid? and what weight do you recomend?
from the lhs. I use 7 - 10k in the front and 2 - 3k in the rear depending on the track conditions. I just bought extra diffs on ebay and have them already made up with diferent fluids so i can just switch them out in a few min and see what is working best that day at the track.
I use mugen diff fluid but you can use any brand