Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New traxxas e-maxx

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The new e-maxx looks sweet. Love the fact that its waterproof.. Can't wait to drive it in the snow!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Tech Rookie

I would'nt get one, until i know what to do incase anything bad happens to it. Just because it would suck balls to buy one of those and then you/or something breaks it, and you have no clue what to do..

But if i knew alot about rc, then i would probably get the revo then this as my second choice..
Old 12-02-2007, 05:34 AM
Tech Addict

This new E is going to be great in the snow. Can't wait.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Tech Adept

this should have come out 2 years ago...they should have introduced an e-revo
Old 12-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I think Traxxas need's to come out with a little mini or little revo lol
Old 12-04-2007, 01:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Based just on what I've seen on the traxxas site, about the only thing that's the same as the origianl e-maxx is the name. The new steering setup is super dope and with a little modding would work on the t-maxx, doing away with that PITA servo saver system they use. The chassis is redesigned for better weight distribution, quick change battery straps, redesigned transmission, revo-tech suspension, what's not to like.

As for the e being a battery eating SOB, the first run of thrucks was exactly that. I bought the first e in this area and the ESC was a complete POS. Not only did it eat batteries, the ESC was little more than an on/off switch. I hated the thing so bad I threw it under the work bench and forgot about it. Some months later, traxxas recalls the ESC due to problems with it catching on fire if the batteries were left hooked up. The free replacement ESC's were actually manufactured by Novak and using one was like night and day. Almost twice the runtime and an actual throttle profile to work with. unfortunatly, traxxas started making the ESC under license from Novak and it went back to being a quality crapshoot. Over the years I've had 3 different e maxx trucks and after the first one I had to put a Novak HD ESC on the second one and I ran a brushless setup on the last one and they all ran good. All things considered, I think the new E will be a vast improvement over the original.

As for the E savage, I help a local hobby shop with repairs and from what I've seen of the e savage, it's got a very fragile driveline compared to the e maxx.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

25mins of run time.... how boring +1 for NITRO
Old 12-04-2007, 02:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jatoman1992
why an e savage?, they are a little slower, cant go as many places as the e-maxx can, and they are little hop ups for it.

the waterproof e-maxx is the best pick in my point of view. and it can handle 2 bruchless systems on the stock tranny.
its electric, arrive at track 12:00 thrash for 20mins then wait 4 hours for it to charge?? electric
Old 12-04-2007, 04:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dave_x8
25mins of run time.... how boring +1 for NITRO
Has lipo not made it up to your neck of the woods yet? The e maxx guys around here running lipo are getting 30~45 minute run times out of theirs with no flameouts, blown glo plugs, slipping one way, etc, etc, etc.

When I had my e-maxx's I won several t-maxx trucks from guys who suffered from the delusion that nitro was faster than electric in a straight up drag race down the front straight at our local track.

We have a guy around here now running an LSP converted to electric and on jumps where all the nitro truggies struggle, he just rolls up to the jump, blips the throttle, and clears them with ease. He has to be careful not to overshoot jumps the nitro truggies are struggling to just make without crashing. When (not if, trust me it's coming) electric 8th scale gets sorted out, nitro will be relegated to the bash pit or their own separate class. I can see it now, pro electric truggy in one class and has been nitro truggy in their own vanity class because nitro heads can no longer take the constant application of azz wax the electrics will be putting on them.

Don't get me wrong, nitro will always have a place in the bash pit and the front yard, but racing is about going fast and electric will quite simply run circles around nitro in that department already. Give them another year or two and nitro will be history on the track.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Looks like I will sell my older E and get a new one.
With the brushless set up, traxxas should keep a 2-speed trans..make the new first gear the old second gear and come up with a new second..
Old 12-05-2007, 02:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

i have heard of the Lipo batteries, and yes the brushless can be faster than nitro in a drag, but for me i like the noise of the nitro cars, and they go plenty quick enough for me,im only interested in bashing my cars at track whilst learning, but when i do start racing it will be with a nitro, all im saying is nitro is for me, and the electric ones dont really appeal to me...sorry for sayin electric was crap cos there is BRUSHLESS with lipo. and im sure there would be a nitro setup that would come close to brushless wouldnt there??
regardless of the power source R/C cars kick ass, especially buggies and MT
ok and maybe truggies
sorry if i upset any electric r/c fans out there
Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

No upset here, just making sure you are aware of what the real deal is regards nitro versus electric.

As for racing nitro, if you are wanting to do that, I'd hurry. When I first started racing, it was hard to find a nitro race for anything but 1/10 gas and even that was thin. It was all about 10th electric back then. About 2 years after I started, nitro 8th scales started coming in (complete) kit form, and a few of them actually handled worth crap, next thing you know 10th electric is dying out and 8th and 10th nitro became the classes to run. That was also about the time monster truck became more than commic relief for the "serious" racers. This was pretty much the norm for the last 6 or so years and then lipo and brushless started getting adapted from airplanes to cars and racers are begining to realize that electric is easier, cleaner, cheaper, and hands down faster than nitro. We are in the middle of yet another shift in focus for r/c racing and this time it's moving from nitro to electric. I'm not saying nitro is going away, but within a couple years at most, it's going to be tough to find enough nitros to make a class at most race tracks.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Why don't you guys try racing virtual cars, like need for speed or something? Super clean and no hassle!

Oh, because it is not the same as being on a track and having the actual experience. Nitro is racing a real machine, with all the fun and maintenance of a real machine. Electric is more expensive, and yes, I have to do after run and cleaning on my nitro. And yes, you still have to clean your electric and balance the batteries.

I would love to see a real cost comparison, at differing levels of performance. How many charge cycles does the average lipo pack last before needing replacement? Probably close to how often a nitro engine will need to be rebuilt, and it is cheaper to buy a piston/sleeve than replace lipo packs. Fuel is expensive, but so is a good lipo charger. How long until the cost advantage of either nitro or battery is yielding a return?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:19 AM
Tech Regular

I've raced both nitro and electric and electric will cost you a bit more up front, but in a years worth of racing, not counting items common to both electric and nitro, electric will be much cheaper and faster.

Figure at least $25 a day for fuel to race a nitro. If you race 2 weekends a month, in a years time you spend $600 for fuel. Current lipo cells claim 500 to 700 cycles before they begin to fall off. 2 lipo packs large enough to race a full program plus practice, or about the same run time as you would get from a single gallon of fuel will run you around $300. At 2 cycles per race day that's somewhere between 250 and 350 race days. 250 divided by 24 race days a year comes to over 10 years of racing on the same packs for half the cost of a single years worth of nitro fuel. That puts a years worth of battery cost at around $30.00. You only need a single $100 servo for electric 8th scale, but you need 2 of those $100 servos to race the same class with nitro. Nitro requires a $30 to $50 clutch every 4 or 5 race days so add another $150 to $200 a year to keep a clutch in your nitro for a year of racing. Electrics will need new slipper pads about once a year at a cost of around $5.00, so even if you are hard on your slipper and have to replace them 3 times, you still spend less in a year on slipper pads than you spend on a single set of nitro clutch shoes. A brushless motor capable of running an 8th scale truggy will run you $300 to $400 and will run circles around a $500 nitro engine. That one electric motor will last you a season of racing while the $500 nitro engine will require at least 1 (usually 2) $150 piston, sleeve, and rod set for the same amount of run time and will still get spanked by the electric.

So we have:
$600 a year for nitro fuel versus $30.00 a year for electric power
$200 for servos in a nitro versus $100 in an electric
$650.00 for a nitro engine versus $400.00 for an electric motor
$150.00 a year for nitro clutches versus $15.00 for electric slipper pads

Nitro $600 + $200 + $650 + $150 = $1600
electric $30.00 + $100 + $400 + $15.00 = $545

To be fair, add in a top shelf battery charger for around $250 and electric still costs you around $800 less per year to race electric versus nitro. Oh crap, I almost forgot, you also need to have a good charger to run nitro.

Did I mention electric will out accelerate, out jump and out corner nitro?

Oh and I also forgot glo plugs, so add another $50 to $100 a year to the cost of nitro, and don't forget a starter box with batteries, add another $150 or so to nitro.

What was that about nitro being cheaper than electric?
Old 12-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default emaxx race???

pretty good comparison between brushless and nitro. pretty convincing indeed. i'll still stick with the nitro though. i like the sound, fumes, and the grunt of nitro. its just manly.... that's just me.

however, race the emaxx? i don't know about you, but i'll wait for the brushless REVO. its time for the emaxx to retire.

hm... tekno has a conversion kit for the revo to go electric. if traxxas doesn't follow suit like they did with the wing kit for the revo, i'm just going to drop the money and convert one of my 3 revos to brushless with the tekno kit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.