Wiki Posts
Search

Revo BB Qoncepts New Era Traxxas

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Revo BB Qoncepts New Era Traxxas

Here is an update to my oringinal Revo BB post. I learned a lot since I first started putting this truck together, so I just want to pass on some info that may be useful to some of you considering a BB conversion. I started with a Traxxas BB kit and it worked ok, but I found that my truck was geared to low with a 15T bell. Thats when I found out the Traxxas kit doesn't allow you to move the engine out enough to use a larger bell. I then went to the Qoncepts kit, it's very well made and allows you to move the engine enough for a 18T bell to fit. You do have to trim your stock motor mounts to fit the mounting plates. The OS 30VG is too strong for the stock two shoe clutch so I went with the New Era 40mm flywheel/three shoe clutch. This allows you to use a starter box and a 1/8 scale clutch/shoes. This is a good strong combo and allows you to use lots of different shoes (carbon, alloy, etc.). I am using a RD Logic II starter box and it works very well with a 40mm flywheel, anything less and you would have to jam the wheel in so far it would hit the chassis and not spin up to speed. I also went with Robinson wide ratio steel gears and a 36T spur to get the gearing I needed to match the power of the OS 30VG, anything esle would be geared to low and the truck would rev like crazy but not go anywhere. Using a side pipe which is a requirement with a BB engine, molded the body around the pipe to cover it. Also have an Ofna 250cc tank for plenty of run time. I am still using the Traxxas throttle linkage because it works well and fits closer to the chassis. 1/8 scale diffs front and rear and CVD drives shafts to make it bullet proof.

My BB Revo with modded body

Qoncepts mount

New Era 1/8 three shoe flywheel and Ofna 1/8 18T clutch bell

Qoncepts mount requires you to cut the stock mounts.

Revo on RD Logis starter box.

RD Logis starter box, I added a power panel on the side.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

hows it run? and how much clearance does the engine have over the rear shocks? i want to upgrade to big block, but use piggy style shocks from integy and im worried about clearance
Old 06-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

streetracer745, I have not run it yet, I am waiting for the wide ratio Robinson gears (in the mail). There is actually more room than I had the with the Traxxas BB kit. I will try and get you some pictures.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

ok well that be great. id like to know before i go out and buy it.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

streetracer745, here are some pictures of the rear shocks. It looks pretty tight in there. The Qoncepts kit has the most room, since it can be adjusted the furthest out (allowing an 18T bell). The Traxxas kit would only move out far enough for a 16T bell and I believe the New Era kit lays the engine down flatter so I would assume there would be less space, just an opinion since I have not seen a New Era kit in person.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

yeah looks tight... i might be able to get them in there though. dont really want to risk it though. might just end up with a .21 TM or picco maxx i guess. or brushless...
Old 06-21-2007, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i ran a 18/36 with a traxxas bb kit i wonder wuts so different about my tru ck you are not the first i heard say it wont work im running a 20/34 and close now maybe something you should think about with the torque monster you got. do you use the center diff!?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

slowpokeRRR, I couldn't get the Traxxas mount to lower enough to fit a 18T bell. The mount/engine would hit the chassis. May be it's the engine, what are you running? You got any pictures of your setup? Since I have the Traxxas mount out and I have a spare bracket I will see how far it will adjust out of the truck. I still think the Qoncepts sliding adjustment is far better than the Traxxas rocking adjustment using the star washers (which are a pain to get in). The Q kit also sits much lower in the chassis allowing use of 40, 38 or 37mm flywheels.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ill try and get some pics shes down for the count rite now ran into a car so she hurt but i may have some old pics. as far as motor i was runnin a vzb but i put that one on my truggy.but from my experience i like the q set up what scares me is there throtle mount but youve got that figured out and the truck was designed with a cradle so i figure it bakes it stonger and it made it beter with thte 18/36 because the cradle had to be fully extended so there was need workin for a mesh it was perfect i actually ran the 20 /36 a couple time before i could actually find a hardened 34 spur gear! the only thing is i have stripped 2 traxxas mounts so far
Old 06-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Tech Rookie