Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Indoor Carpet Setup: Emaxx?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 04:16 PM
Tech Adept

Default Indoor Carpet Setup: Emaxx?

This thing currently sucks at the many turns of the local track inside of Xtreme Hobbies. I currently have slight toe-in on each end, Aluminum 2.5 Suspension kit by Integy set at the lowest, stock steering servo, stock springs, 40 and 60 wt. oil at every corner. I keep on getting my butt kicked by my cousin, Shaun Morgan, and his Stampede with a Titan 550. The truck makes GREAT power, but I have to slow down way too much to make it through the many turns. HELP ME!!!!
Old 04-18-2003, 04:21 PM
Tech Adept

I also use Pro-Line Bow Tie Tires, and a Pro-Line GMC Sierra body. The local track is an indoor carpet[same kind you'd find in your living room]. It used to be a Carpet One store, so it's naturally the perfect home for a hobby shop and track. It only has small jumps[not a problem]. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

First thing I have to wonder is how he's beating you with a Titan motor in a Stampede. The Titan 550 motor is a 14 volt motor and would be really seriously slow on 6-7 cells in a 'pede, unless he's running 12-14 cells. ?????? You sure he's not running the stock 20t Stinger motor?

Anyway. It's hard to say exactly but from your discription. First leave the rear toe in at about 1.5 degrees. But toe out the front to about 1 degree. Toe in on the front with 4wd will take away a lot of on power steering into the corners. The stock springs are way far too soft for high traction like carpet. You'll get a huge amount of body roll. Go with harder springs. Something like Losi Orange or Green all around. If you don't have much jumping to do then go with 100 front and 80 rear on the shock oil.

Making a set of swaybars is a good option. All you need is a piece of 1/8" piano wire, some fuel tubing, some 1/8" collars. 4 long rod ends with balls in them and long 4-40 screws. Drill a hole in the top suspension arm out where the arm forms a "T" right in the center of the arm. Run a 4-40 screw up through the arm into the long rod end. Do both sides. Then slide a piece of fuel tubing onto a length of the piano wire. About 1½" and put a collar on each side of the tubing. Remove the front bumper and slip the wire with tubing into the space in the bumper mounts between the screw holes. (you'll get the idea with the bumper off.) Adjust the wire so that when bent back at an angle the end's of the wire will pass through the balls of the rod ends. Bend the wire as needed and replace the bumper over the "swaybar". It's a cheap setup but it works. Do the same for the rear if you need it.

Mount your battery packs on the underside of the chassis rather than on the top side. Buy an HPI body mount set. Use the long body posts. Drill through the battery mount holes in the chassis all the way through. Run a long 4-40 screw through the hole and into one of the long body mounts on the underside of the chassis. Do both ends then put in a battery pack and slide the strap down on the post's. Pin the strap in place then cut off the excess post. Tape or zip tie the battery to the battery strap to prevent the pack from sliding sideways.

I assume you used the stock foam inserts that came with the BowTies? If so they are way too soft for high sidebite. If you can get away with it, bake off the tires from the wheels and get a good set of the ProLine 2 stage foams. It will stiffen up the sidewalls a lot. Then use a pair of sharp clippers or sissors to clip off the very outside row of lugs on the inside and outside of all the tires. Clipping the single outside row of lugs will help the truck track straighter and be less "twitchy".

Run the suspension with the Front lower arms level and the rear lower arms just a bit sagged.

The truck should now be very fast into the corners and be well planted alround.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

THANKS! Races tonight. I'll try it out.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

they make some foam tires for the emaxx, there like a 100.00 for a set of four.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yeah Jaco makes 'em, but not sure how good they'd be for jumping...
Old 04-25-2003, 03:12 PM
Tech Adept

Sounds pretty expensive. Could a Horizon Hobby dealer order them for me? The LHS is a Horizon dealer. I have seen one Kyosho[Great Planes] item in there, but it was one of their really cheap screw sets.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

Those would look pretty good with the stock wheels if they're black. As for jumping, they would work well 'cause they're so soft. I'm not sure they would work as well as my Bow Ties, because the carpet is about 3/8 inch thick.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

Default RE: Pinky

Yes, my cousin was using a Titan 550 E-Maxx motor on a 7-cell 3000 pack with the Traxxas XL-1 ESC. It's much faster than you would expect because he changed out his gearing. He can still pull a wheelie off the line, though. I put an E-Maxx motor in my XX-4 with an RRP 16 tooth pinion and a purple spur. It could climb the steps. It sure didn't have much top end. I switched to a Trinity Speed Gems Pro Titanite 15 dbl. with the same gearing and have been racing with that.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

I tried green and orange springs with 80 wt. at each corner and it steers MUCH better now. I'm now looking into Integy MSR4 shocks because the stockers explode so much. On one of my rears I can pull the top off.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Tech Adept

Does the Pro-Line steering kit help much?
I'm still trying to make it steer better on-power. Off-power steering is great, but it slows me down a lot.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Not really. I still run the original Traxxas servo saver and stock linkage. The truck steers fine. The problem with the ProLine setup is you have to cut/grind off part of the chassis' old steering posts step. If you take off too much the steering post wobbles, too little and the steering binds seriously. If you have plenty of steering into a turn but not comming out then it's still in the setup, not the mechanical's. Most likely you still have too little dampening in the rear. You need stiffer springs and a bit stiffer oil in the back to keep the weight from transfering to the backend. A sway bar in the rear will help a lot too.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:26 PM
Tech Adept

Now I can't get the truck going straight.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Tech Adept

I've been looking at Traxxas videos recently and have been wondering how the truck goes so fast when mine can't. I think I may just get a new transmission. I'm also positive that I'm going to get a Hacker C50 BL motor and ESC. I've been focusing on my buggy recently. I just ran a 17-tooth pinion in it and was going about 35 when this hunk of cement jumped in front of my car and rolled it twice, destroying the whole left front suspension[please see my profile and look under occupation]. I think I'm going to focus on my E-Maxx now, not that I have a choice. Anyone know any other stupid stuff I can do to this poor truck?
Old 06-11-2003, 05:39 AM
Tech Rookie

go brushless and never look back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.