good deal or not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

good deal or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well i would like to have more power so i would prob. get the Pipe then the servo then the tranny. Buddy of mine has a savage so he could help me, plus he rebuilt his motor on his so i figure i can have him help me break mine in. What pipe and servo would i need the best for the price. I have heard that HPI customer service is crappy.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

as far as pipe's go, the HPI tuned pipes do the job. I prefer RD Logics pipes.

as far as servos go, the Hitec 645 is a good servo for bashing. thats like a 50 dollar servo. if you want to double the performance AND double the price you can go with an airtronics servo. but you dont need that for bashing around.

whoever told you HPI Customer Service was crappy either lives in Europe or hasnt called HPI customer service.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

it was the owner of the LHS that said that. So Trinity 20% fuel and couple glow plugs and i'll be set on the Savage X. I was wondering have you seen the new HPI Whellie truck? or the E- savage run both look sweet.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

I havent seen the wheely king run up close. but i own an E-zilla (same truck as the E-savage)

the e-zilla was worth every penny. it rips.

I have heard one of my LHS's tell me the dealer support was horrible, but it was only one and i dont like that guy anyway. good thing i have 3 other hobby shops....

I have dealt with HPI customer service quite a few times. They have replaced an engine (defect), a driveshaft (my fault, but i didnt tell them that), a few one-ways (stripped one), and a roto-start (burned out for some reason) all for free. The only time i didnt get something free was just recently, apparently servo gears arent covered under warranty......my poor poor Baja.

you may also want to pick up 2 extra spur gears. getting the gear meshing right might take a few trial and errors. have your Savage buddy help you out
Old 01-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reptilesnr/c
Well i would like to have more power so i would prob. get the Pipe then the servo then the tranny. Buddy of mine has a savage so he could help me, plus he rebuilt his motor on his so i figure i can have him help me break mine in. What pipe and servo would i need the best for the price. I have heard that HPI customer service is crappy.
Traxxas has the best customer service in the whole rc world

Cheers
Old 01-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

alright im going to get the X when i get my taxes back i really like to get some other nice things for it also but im not worred about it's looks really just wanna have fun bashing with my buddies savy.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

make sure you get a different frequency then him
Old 01-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

He's got a septrum in his, he gave me his old MX-3 radio and reciever but i don't have the cystals and i don't know if it even works so i don't know what to do that, but im going to either buy the 13.00 dollar crystals and see if they work or just forget about it and just put it in the pile with my old t-maxx junk.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

give it a shot. the MX-3 is a nice radio. if so then id say get the Savage XSS kit. it has the aluminum diff cups, HD axles and driveshafts, the steel spur gear, the K4.6 engine, the tuned pipe, dirtbonz tires, revised tranny case, revised chassis, revised engine mount and engine pate, dual disc brakes, . just spend the extra 70 bucks on servo's and you have a really nice hopped-up truck. you already have the MX-3 to drop in it.

check the truck out here

only downside is you have to paint the body and that is sometimes intimidating. you can just paint it a single color and put decals on it or try taping it off and go for a 2-tone. it isnt as hard as you might think. the rest of the truck is well worth it in my opinion.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

So i should spend the extra 13.00 and get the cystals and check it out. Then get the best Savage made right now correct and i wouldn't have to buy anything to upgrade it hu?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

pretty much.

it will save you money in the end. you still wont have the 3-speed but that isnt any biggy right now.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

How much is the kit instead of the RTR X i also need a fail safe also.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

youll need, in addition to the truck, 2 servos, a failsafe, and an RX pack. 70-80 dollars for the Hitec 645 servo and a standard servo, 20 bucks for an RX pack and charger, and about 15-20 for a failsafe.

on Towerhobbies, the Savage XSS is 439.99 and the Savage X is 439.99. 418 at Hobby Etc. and 440 for the RTR. 455 at Horizon Hobby (for both trucks). check your LHS for their prices.

rx pack and charger
http://maxamps.com/index.html?lmd=39101.487662
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHCF1&P=ML
failsafe
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHLV3&P=7
Steering Servo
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXUZ80&P=
and any standard servo would be fine for the throttle (about 15 bucks)

then the usual, a few glow-plugs and a gallon of fuel, no need for extra spurs as this truck has a steel spur. i assume you have a fuel bottle from your t-maxx? wipe the neck off with a rag then clean it out with some of the new fuel. find a spot in the grass where nobody will notice, shake the bottle for like 15 seconds then squeeze as much out as possible. just to get rid of any water or any old fuel thats in there.

your friend should know how to set up your radio (servo reversing, EPA, and Trims) so ask him to help you with that when you get your truck together.

when you get it, if you have any questions about putting it together, visit the Savage thread, Macnkitty2002 has an X SS so he can help you with something specific. me, JFC and Horatio will be able to help you with pretty much anything also, if you have questions about break-in, your radio system, set-ups, etc.

if you have 20 dollars to spare afterwards, it is worth it to purchase the Ofna MP servo saver http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXABH5&P=7, you take the spring and bearings from that servo saver and put it on the Cam set-up that comes with the Savage. it will make the steering action smoother and more responsive when you get a servo that is able to take advantage of it (the 645 will). it is a small mod, but worth the 20 bucks.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for your help tonight you have been very helpful and i wish more people was as helpful as you are and understanding. Thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

no problem.

I would like to point out, because you are getting a kit, if you see any option parts you want for the truck, before the build is the best time. This way you can put the option parts on as you build it, instead of building it, then buying the parts, taking it back apart, then putting it back together. that is half the point of a kit.

do you have any tools? to put it together (and for maintenance) youll need needle nose pliers, a 3.0mm allen wrench (high quality, not an L wrench) a 2.5mm allen wrench (any wrench will do for this one), a small flathead screw driver (for the carb needle) an 8mm socket (for glowplugs and wheel nuts) and a #2 phillips head screw driver. the truck comes with a 4-way wrench for any smaller nuts and a turnbuckle wrench. and a few allen keys.

here are nice tool sets if youd like...
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFWE6&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUC44&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSB47&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKTL3&P=7
that would be all you need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.