Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newb with a question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Newb with a question

I have a savage 25 that i have ran only occassionally in the last couple of years. I had to replace the spur gear on it, so after it sitting for a while during me moving, getting married, etc... I finally got back to it and got it done. I had it running for about 20 minutes when it seemed to loose torque. It seems to be like a transmission issue, but i hate to go through all the trouble to tear it down and find out that is not the problem. So here goes...

The truck revs fine. However, it does not have forward motion. It will on gravel, but not in the grass. When i have it in the grass, the engine will throttle up, but the power will not get to the ground.

I checked the spur gear, and the drive gear on the engine. They seem to be in sync and everything is fine there. Everything i can see on the outside is working fine, so that is why i am thinking it must be the transmission.

Thanks for any help you can give me...
Old 11-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Possibly a slipper. Tighten the nut on the slipper.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok, I hate to ask like a newb, but i am... What is the slipper?
Old 11-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

No prob. We were all new once.

The Slipper is like a clutch on a full size car. There are pads on the spur gear that press against a metal disk. The tighter the nut is will give more grab. The nut that holds the spur gear is the nut to tighten. Check the manual when in doubt. If you don't have one....get one. There's all kinds of good information there.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

if u said savage 25(discontinued already), the page 32 show u what slipper is. tighten the z684 nut. check the image.

the how to do it, check the pg 18.
Attached Thumbnails Newb with a question-s25_p32.jpg   Newb with a question-s25_p18.jpg  
Old 11-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Make sure that pin is there, too!!! (Part #Z260)

Also, check your (2 or 3 shoe) clutch on the engine. It might be oily, or glazed. If it slips, it will generate heat and melt your new spur very quickly.

So too will a slipping slipper. Although the slipper by definition is designed to slip, it should only do so during shock-loadings - like when landing off a jump, or hitting a big stone etc. It's not supposed to continually slip.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

sounds like the clutch