Custom LST Brushless LiPO conversion...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Custom LST Brushless LiPO conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default Custom LST Brushless LiPO conversion...

Well since seeing Fine Design's brushless lipo conversion for the LST, as well as seeing the $1300 price tag. I have decided I NEED to get a roller LST and make it a brushless lipo beast. Honestly, it seems like a piece of cake, and the guys at Fine Designs are nuts to be asking that much. I am not much of a nitro guy and don't know much about the LST, but I have loved it since the day I layed eyes on it, I even think I might get a mini LST to put my mamba 8000 in. Anyways, what control's the brakes on the LST and how would I get a good braking setup? Also, it looks like all I have to do is get a pinion that mesh's right with the spur gear on the tranny, machine a mount and everything else pretty much falls into place, with some creativity, how does the 2-speed tranny work? I was thinking of using Tekin's new brushless system, because there is lots of rave about it and it seems to be the newest best brushless on the market. Do you think that would be good with a 8000mah LiPO? I really want to make this happen, and any tips or advice would help a ton! And, if anyone has an LST rolling chassis to sell, leme know!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

be sure to make it dual motors. a brake servo controls the brake's. on electrics they use the motors to stop it (engine brake's). so you can get rid of the throttle/brake servo, brake hub, disc's, piston, linkage's, and calipers.

you wont have to really touch the 2-speed. it uses centrifigul clutch's, when they spin fast enough they grav the inside of the 2-speed gear. it freespins when in first gear.

the biggest problem you have is the way the engine delivers its power. instead of a traditional monster truck which uses a spurgear mounted to a input shaft with the pinion's mounted on that spinning the tranny's spur gears. it uses a touring car style transmission, they dont make pinion's like that for electric motors. so because of this youll have to do something really custom. like refab the tranny (or maybe take a tranny off another truck and fit it in there) so you can get it to work with an electric motor.

so, maybe you could take, a savage tranny (the trucks are similar in weight and size, and that tranny is tough seeing as the savage is also a big block truck) mount the tranny in the center, cut a hole out in the center and use a normal stpy drivetrain instead of w/e Losi threw in there. then mount 2 motors side x side on the one spurgear. in place of the engine and gas tank.

good luck and post pics..sounds like a good project
Old 07-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

Hmm, thats weird because fine design's used the stock tranny somehow. It looks as if they just bolted a motor to the tranny, obviously a modified pinion and engine mount were made, but it looks stock. And they just used one motor, a 1500w 2 horsepower motor.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

they could have locked it in second gear. didnt think of that at first.......
Old 07-26-2006, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i've seen people make adapters to use the normal nitro clutch bell on an electric motor,
Old 07-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

now that I think about it, this would be a lot of money, and nitro is just cooler, so I think im just gonna get a nitro LST haha.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

lol all that typing for nothing