Community
Wiki Posts
Search

looking for a nitro monster truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

looking for a nitro monster truck

i want to get into nitro r.c. for something to do when im not working doing hw or at the race track. i know that im leaning towards the savage cause i like it and it comes in a kit, and my freind has it but also i dont know if i should get a tmaxx or an mgt. i figured id check it out here and get some input from some guys who also have the trucks and know thier stuff.

im looking in terms of quality durability ect.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

dude got with the savage....the other day i was at my LHS and this guy walks in with a MGT that had the whole right side of the front suspension snapped in half...it was halarious..i think he clipped a clothesline or sumthing...but i had a look at the mgt close up and ill tell u it aint as beefy as the savage...

i got QVP's on my savage (quad verticle plates) and a whole heap of mods on it aswell as custom mods i have done myself..

i wouldnt realy go with the tmaxx....smallblock engine...crappy little thing plus its 1/10 not 1/8

with the savage u can even get a 1/6 conversion kit from new era..3 speed...lots of aftermarket TVP's with all sorts of features..lower cg,extended etc...

i had been looking of buying a savage and the rage of not having 1 just exploded and now i have a pretty much unique tricked out savage with pretty much everything on it except for the 3 speed wich is gona get picked up next week sometime.....i got bit by the go-crazy-and-hop-up-ur-car-asoon-as-u-can bug LOL !

long story short buy a savage....its totally insane and is the toughest truck of them all ! i got a .21 in it and it pops wheelies all over the place....

if u have msn or yahoo add me
[email protected]
[email protected]
Old 04-19-2006, 10:24 PM

Default um

OK i have had a savage 25 and had bad luck i broke the a arms also didn't want to spend the money to get it running right you now upgrade the muffer air filter and brakes so i sold it. and with that money i bought a monster gt and only thing i have too break is spur gears (do to a dum owner) lol but i don't have to replace anything on the truck. um i no a friend that has a savage only thing he has broken is stripping the spuir gear out ok thats all um best thing to do is go to the local hobby shop and see what the have parts for in stock

Last edited by revoboyz; 04-20-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

I love my Savages!!
Old 04-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by revoboyz
dude i had a savage it broke all the time and i sold got tired of spending money on it and i bought a mgt beat the piss out of it all the time and i hasn't broke anything on the truck yet

wat version of the savage and wat did u brake??? ive done hundreds of head on crashes with my savage even at speeds of 30-40mph and the only thing that happened was i bent the chassis slightly....
Old 04-20-2006, 12:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool

Do your self a favor and checkout the Tamiya TNX. It is faster out of the box than a Savage, it is also easyer to work on, it cost less than the Savage and it is ready to race out of the box. The TNX is also almost as durable as the Savage. If you are a new comer to the hobby I would have to say stay away from the savage,but if you have been around and you are going to do nothing but bash I would say go with the Savage, but if you are going to race, even if it is only once in awhile then I say get the TNX,it is faster than most stock big block trucks. What ever truck you decide to get I wish you the best with it.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mr-e-maxx
Do your self a favor and checkout the Tamiya TNX. It is faster out of the box than a Savage, it is also easyer to work on, it cost less than the Savage and it is ready to race out of the box. The TNX is also almost as durable as the Savage. If you are a new comer to the hobby I would have to say stay away from the savage,but if you have been around and you are going to do nothing but bash I would say go with the Savage, but if you are going to race, even if it is only once in awhile then I say get the TNX,it is faster than most stock big block trucks. What ever truck you decide to get I wish you the best with it.

exactly....ALMOSt as durable as the savage but its NOT....lol.....dude wen the TNX stuffs up it keeps stuffing up......the TNX has freaking 3 peice dogbones man..its PLASTIC in the middle...wat r u telling me this is durable? go into a poll and we'll see if its durable or not LOL!

u cant go wrong with a savage dude.....its my 1st nitro truck and i built it in under 8 hours non stop....didnt eat or nothing and i know it inside out....if u think its hard to wrench on well yess it is abit because everything is secured between the 2 TVP's....trust me man the savage is a great beginners truck......even my mate that dosnt know wat a freaking machined screw is can handle it..LOL...watever u do do not go with the TNX it just is pure trouble...
Old 04-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

i

Last edited by mr-e-maxx; 04-20-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

I love my Savages!!!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr-e-maxx
You know, before you run your trash talking, need to post just to get your post count up mouth do your self a favor and quite imbarresing your self. You have no idea what your talking about. Ive been in this hobby longer than you have been on the face of this earth. I also have a Savage and a TNX and about twenty some other cars, trucks and buggys. Do your self a favor and get a TNX and work on it and run it before you run your mouth,if you did you would see that first the TNX hardly ever need anything done to it, second the dog bone are three peice, but the middle of them are not plasticas you said, it is aluminum and yes they are very durable. Try going to some of the TNX sites and reading up on them , you will be suprised at how durable the TNX's are. There a guys that bash the living crap out of there TNX's (and have .24.7 &.21 & .28in them) and never break the so called undurable stock drive lines. The TNX by far is one of the easyest if not the easyest MT to work on. Also a stock TNX with its littlebitty .18 will smoke the Savage like it was sitting still.
I'm sorry, mr-e-maxx I have to agree with ProudSavageOwnr. If you have bein in the hobby as long as you say. Then you have to know that the savage is a much better Value then any other Moster Truck on the market. Ya there are faster ones with less durablitly, and more durable with less speed. No I don't have TNX, but I tell you. If you are new. SAVAGE is a much better choice. IMO.

But I have to say, i don't see the so call trash talking? and I wish you rctech newbies would stop talking about post count.

SO MY VOTE IS FOR A SAVAGE. go to any track and see what is the most used truck on there. Savage by far, and some Revo's. I have not seen anyone talking up TNX yet.

My peace,+1 posting for me e-maxx
Old 04-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Most ppl are fanboy's and just dog on other brands for really no reason at all. Doing this when you've never ever owned or run another truck is really dumb. Personally I have about 6-7 trucks/cars and some decent experience but I don't find any reason to trash something I've never had.

Because you saw someone bring in an MGT that needed repairs doesn't mean much. Obviously if the guy was bringing it in to get fixed he couldn't do it himself, which doesn't exactly put him at the top of the RC cream of the crop so there is no telling exactly what he did to break it. Gimme 5 minutes with your savage and I bet I can have it in 100 pieces.

If you look into almost any of the top tier MT's you'll find articles that say replace these parts ASAP. And hopup these for quick improvements, etc. You wonder why? Because thats the way the truck makers want things, if they made them freaking perfect from the start and they never broke or needed hopups then they wouldn't make any money in replacement parts.

So when it comes down to picking, I'd say look at what you got to spend. Decide if your going to do most of the work yourself and order the parts online or if your going to have the LHS work on it and buy parts from them. If your going with the LHS, then find out what their people are the most familar with and have the most parts for.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

I love my Savages!!!!

Oh and no manufacturer knows what exactly will happen to a product until it gets in the hands of the general public. The average basher is the best tester anyone could ever ask for.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Tech Regular

everyone is going to say that they love the savage if they have the savage...if they have a tmaxx they are going to say they love their tmaxx...i dont have a mt...but if i were you i would look into the revo..they just came out with the 3.3...the suspension kicks but...way hightech...check it out some time
Old 04-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Whatever the choice, go with one on which you'll be able to have parts easily. They'll all break somewhere soon or later, just make that task easier.

My 2 cents
Old 04-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

im gonin with a 4.6 savage. the three spd will fit in it right? and also you can still put reverse into the 3 spd right?

just to adress the durability thing i saw this one kid come into the hobby shop where i work with his savage x totally f***ed up. the every front suspension part was broken, needed new all new shocks all new chassis and a butt load of other stuff in the front end.

but im still gonna get it the 4.6 that is. my hobbie shop also has a lot of parts for it and it is a kit witch i like so thanks for your help and with the q's above.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.