Which monster truck to buy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which monster truck to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

65 mph meaning his speed and mine combined, sorry about that.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

my dragster used to go around 140 k's wich is like 70-80 MPH.....

overall i reckon the savage is a great truck and its pretty much invincible but for value the hpi savage 4.6 SS wasthe best "bang 4 ur buck thing" because i already had aradio and all the other crap u need....i got the truck for 670 with 4 litres of fuel,spare spur gear,high torque servo and paint...i already had a radio from my drag car...so i could of went n bought the LST2 but for around 900-1000 bucks it aint realy worth it for me...i love building stuff n seing how they work n if i didnt know i had to loctite all the screws on the lst2 i woulda had lots of problems....u know wat i mean.....just get the savage 4.6 ss
Old 04-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

for the record PSO is talking in australian, those being australian prices in australian currency.......
Old 04-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

LST2
Old 04-02-2006, 07:57 AM
Tech Adept

LST/LST2, A factory upgraded RTR that came about due to RACER upgrades.
It can and dose clear air over all the rest, will easily teach you, about tuning changes and throtle control. Big truck, Big power, Big Fun = Big Win's
Old 04-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Tech Rookie

I hear good things about the Savage line, however I'm a partial Revo owner and I have no misgivings about this truck. A friend of mine owns a Savage and when we go out to bash he spends a good portion of his time fixing his truck while I'm playing. It could be due to driver skill or just preventive maintenance not sure, but I think the Revo would stand up to a Savage. Support for the Revo is great if there are any problems. IMO either one would be a solid choice, but I would go with the Revo.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

welcome to the forums freelance.
ony prob ive had on the savage x is a setscrew in the brakehub that seems to fall out easily. ill have to put alot of threadlock on it next time, fell out twice in one day.....and once at the track.......the big three are all good trucks but i prefer the savage i own 2 and with meshing set right it will go on and on like the energizer bunny (my x has with the exception of today, stupid setscrews) IMO the x has the best engine, its based off of the s-25 which was an awesome engine, and this one is no exception. as we all know the lst has the best radio and the revo has the worst, i havent worked on a revo or lst but the x is very easy to work on compared to the previous savvy's. these three trucks all have suspesnion that made the actual trucks legendary (and popular), youll never get a final answer on which is the best so dont try. savage's suspension is geared toward bashing (and JUMPING) but can be ajusted for good handling. the revo's suspension is very soft and can make bashing a little scary but bottoming out shouldnt hurt the truck too much, but the truck handles awesome. the LST's suspension i could not give you an honest answer on. as for durability, the savage will probably come out on top, but crashes vary, the suspension arms are the weakest point on the savage but still not by any means weak. i have heard the suspension arms are also weak on the revo, and the lst has had problems with the uprights which were supposivly fixed in the second version, this truck's next weakpoint will probably be the suspension arms. parts availability, revo and savage should be about the same, depending on how biased your hobbyshop is, i have not seen much losi in any of my 5 local hobby shops. the savage and revo will have more hop-ups made for it and more unique stuff.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

personally the savage is the easiest truck ive worked on...not the X...but again maybe its just me? i like doing stuff like rebuilding n stuff wen im bored but wen i need time i hate that !

wen that guy said his mate works on his ssavage and ur playing...i rekon hes just doin stuff like installing those rockets n stuff to blow ur revo to BITS !

the revo on bottoming out and riding gutters on 2 wheels.......hmmm..bye bye steering servos..

the savage has all its stuff nice n enclosed and u dont need to worry bout that stuff..
Old 04-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool

Check out the Tamiya TNX it cost a lot less than the other trucks talked about in this post and the TNX can hold its own against(being a small block .18by O.S.) all of the big block trucks talked about in this post. It is a great racer and basher right out of the box for a beginner. It may not be quite as tough as the Savage but its pretty close and for the price around $369.00 I think it is the best bang for the buck. JMO
Old 04-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Talking

wen that guy said his mate works on his ssavage and ur playing...i rekon hes just doin stuff like installing those rockets n stuff to blow ur revo to BITS !
Naw, the stuff he's working on is spur gear (stripping), throttle linkage, carburetor, little things like that, that are usually needed for the truck to run let alone keep up. In all seriousness though, I'm sure the savage is a good truck, but from my experience the revo has been VERY durable and reliable for me. My broken list consist of the following:

1 Push rod
2 Tie Rods (my driving skill or lack there of)
1 Spur (Motor mount coming loose)
1 Front Bulkhead (holds front diff, impact with wall at full speed nothing else damaged)

My friend has replaced much more due to failures and driving. I'm only going off of what I've seen, as well as the lhs when I go in there usually at least two customers will come in asking for savage parts that are not upgrades. This could be due to the fact that there are more savage owners so statistically speaking that would happen. I drive me revo hard but I do take the time with afterun to inspect for loose screws or cracked items, I've owned the truck for over a year and have put on many upgrades and I'm more than happy with it. Not bashing any truck, the fella that started this thread asked for opinions, and we all not what they are like, I'm just giving mine. I do take the debate as fun though. I think this will be a fun forum. TTFN
Old 04-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Well Brandon x....there you have it. Multiple posts...multiple opinions. I don't think you could wrong with a LST/LST2, MGT, Savage, or Revo.

I love the LST2 and think it's the best MT out there. Bar none. What I wanted in a MT might not be what others wanted. Check out your LHS's and see what they carry and if they stock parts for what they carry. Parts supply can be the key decision.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

imo..i prefer the savage or mgt..had them both and good bashers.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have a Savage 4.6 SS kit (with lots of upgrades/mods). I have no major complaints. The thing takes a beating and comes back for more! If you're not into kits, then a Savage X would be my next suggestion. You can get Savy parts just about anywhere.

TNX is also a good choice for the budget minded, but you'll probably have to get parts online since most hobby shops don't stock 'em. It's very, very fast out of the box. Durability is almost up there with the Savage and much easier to work on and tune, especially for someone new.

My number one piece of advice is to buy the truck your local hobby shop supports. It makes fixing things so much easier. However, stick with the tried and true trucks for your first outing into RC (Revo, MGT, Savage, LST).

Lastly...

STAY AWAY FROM THE DURATRAX WARHEAD!
Old 04-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by redbarton
Lastly...

STAY AWAY FROM THE DURATRAX WARHEAD!
Unless you're RCA magazine!!
Old 04-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Horatio
Unless you're RCA magazine!!
Or if your RC Driver or Xtreme RC CARS they both give the WARHEAD a nod of aproval. I dont know if RC Car did a review or not but with three out of four mags giving some type of aproval then they must be seeing something that all of the owners are missing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.