Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Minnesota and North/South Dakota Racing
Vintage trans Am racing Twin Cities and Duluth >

Vintage trans Am racing Twin Cities and Duluth

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vintage trans Am racing Twin Cities and Duluth

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:23 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I do know how much faster the 25.5 2s is...

We have classes those traveling can run. 1/12th class's and Sedan. This was argument for rubber sedan which has not recovered from the change yet. Has not brought in any out of town racers and still working at getting back to numbers yet.

The grass always looks greener... but man we have the nicest lawn I can find anywhere right now and we are not changing the fertilizer.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

First off, Chris, I love to watch conflict but this thread isn't what that is for.
Second, Alan and Andrew, Mmr is already running mmr spec. I don't know why tcorc and lsrcc have to follow. Most of the mmr crew doesn't venture outside of mmr. Same with tcorc members and same with lsrcc members. Its fine to have separate variations of the same class.
And I heard a rumor tcorc won't be around next year. Well if it comes to a complete shut down, which I doubt it will, I will buy it and run it independently
Old 01-27-2012, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So let me get this right? You want to take what has been one of the biggest class in this state for the last couple of years, and make everyone who races buy new motor, esc, batteries, change the set up in their car? Sounds like a great idea but wait a few days so I can go buy stock in Novak.

But really let’s look back to the great rubber sedan, blinky debate of 2011. One reason for the change to blinky and rubber sedan was to get more “out of town” racers. How many have been pulled from out of town so far at your club? Count how many racers have come into this state because of the national rule following. Seriously take the time to check it out. Now look at how many racers you WILL lose if you choose to go USVTA rules. Bet the loss of racers will triple what you COULD bring in.

If you are asking who here has raced/seen the speed difference between MMR SPEC VTA and USVTA spec. Ask Andrew M (who set the MMR SPEC rules 4 years ago and brought more racers into this class than most clubs have racers) what he saw and tried to run with PK last year. I am sure if you PM he will let you know.

Want to run in a faster class, there is always open mod 12 scale!
Not enough said
Old 01-27-2012, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joezjr
...Alan and Andrew, Mmr is already running mmr spec. I don't know why tcorc and lsrcc have to follow...
Morning Joe,

For the record, I am not saying that any racing venue follow another. If they do, fine.

The word here is some racers want all tracks to coordinate a standardized set of rules. What program has the most racers in the VTA class and the best WEEKLY racing this region has ever seen?

Must be doing something right.

Andrew has stated the MMR spec VTA class is not changing. We can discuss who shot JFK as well, it doesn't matter.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Cool, mmr has their class set. That is worth a third
Old 01-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I'd like to think that this has been thought of already, but I'd be curious as to the percentage of local racers who this decision would affect are on RCTech and know of this debate. I'm sure TCORC will talk about it at a club race and that will be the non RCTech crowds chance to speak up. I'd assume LSRCC would do the same. But maybe all those racers should be

I personally am in no way a regular VTA racer at this time. So I feel my opinion on the rules doesn't matter much. But honestly, the amount I race the class wouldn't change whatever the rules are. I feel it's the on road class that best suits me and that's why I enjoy racing it when I can. I'd adapt either way. Good luck everyone on keeping this class popular in MN.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fig865
I personally am in no way a regular VTA racer at this time. So I feel my opinion on the rules doesn't matter much. But honestly, the amount I race the class wouldn't change whatever the rules are. I feel it's the on road class that best suits me and that's why I enjoy racing it when I can. I'd adapt either way. Good luck everyone on keeping this class popular in MN.
+1 ... Nuff Said! ... just wanted to say that!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
I had a family function and could only race one day that weekend so I went to my local MMR on Sunday! Really Greg you want to start **** with me?
I'm not the one pitting clubs against each other. You stated something I knew to be false, I backed my point up with facts. Perhaps next time you should too.

Why not give a state series a try next year to combine the tracks/dates//rules and create more opportunities for racers to race at all the venues? You can still hold a club series, but rotate a state series race (on or off a club date) once a month (Sept-WOW race) and make the State Championships mean just that much more as a series championship. In the process all venues could see a significant uptick in turnout throughout the year...
Old 01-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

...And I heard a rumor tcorc won't be around next year. Well if it comes to a complete shut down, which I doubt it will, I will buy it and run it independently
?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry, I should elaborate. I got a text saying there was a rumor going around about tcorc and the validity of them being in this debate because they might shut it down next year or put a pause on things.

Greg, that would be great between the two clubs
Old 01-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

alot has been covered and said.

i feel the class is perfect where it is at.

If YOU are a racer that travels for racing, just like those going to snowbirds you will change or make a car for that race.

as for the dream of 3 location getting together and running a series and same classes is most likely not going to happen as there are to many opinions.

there are faster classes

sad part of this is we as rc racers in minnesota have the ability to race at 3 location and instead of supporting what works there is this decussion -- there are people that have no where to go and race in the us
Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

Sorry, I should elaborate. I got a text saying there was a rumor going around about tcorc and the validity of them being in this debate because they might shut it down next year or put a pause on things.
Being at the pretty much all the TCORC races this year I have not heard any rumors to this statement. PM Mike about this before making statement on 3rd hand information. The people at TCORC are very laid back club, its a very fun place to race, with good participation, the chance this happens seems unlikely at this point.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

I have had a discussion or two already. And that rumor just started 2 weeks ago
Old 01-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sbeamish
If you read the VTA rules they also spec'd the ESC as well. For those of us running VTA in its current rule set we have to upgrade those as well.

2S batteries also cost more. For me to upgrade to this setup will cost me just shy of $300.

ESC: $100
RevTech 2S : $110
Motor: $80

Im all about National Rules and will gladly upgrade if that is the local decision. The race will be the same so lets be clear that the decision is so we can travel to races and attract out of towners to our races.

Im not advocating or recommending MMR rules even though that is the rule set Im currently using. I just want to be sure we are all on the same page and understand why we are talking about this.
Originally Posted by Greg Amendola
As far as cost. You can score ESCs for $50 from Novak on a GTB, motors for $40-50 (maybe not a revtech without it being second-hand) and batteries, a GEN ACE from Hobbyparts is like $35. So you can convert for about ~$130-150. I know Beamish will spend more
For those actually considering the switch, all this banter means nothing without numbers. Scott and Greg outlined 2 very different approaches to side-grading to 25.5, new and full price vs slightly used and low price.

Novak Edge + 25.5 Ballistic = $159 Lightest weight ESC approved for USVTA. Unless the esc sucks, most people will gravitate towards this combo.

Gens Ace 5000mAh = $33.42

Fantom 5000 mAh performance pack = 79.95

Putnam Revtech 6400mAh = $119 Not Legal under USVTA rules, but I believe this is what Scott was referring to (correct me if I'm wrong Scott)

HPI Driver Figures = $16.39 Technically you only need one, so you could cut this in half and split it between 2 cars.

If a racer travels to your track and races VTA, it will either be as their only class ($15-$35 depending on event type) or as a second class ($5-$20). How many racers do you actually get weekly that travel from out of the area? How many Racers do you get for your big events? How many people are currently traveling the region to go to big races that also feature USVTA as a possible class to run and would actually run it?

Do the numbers add up to warrant taxing everyone on average $210 to race the same class you raced last week and run the risk of turning it into another "Rubber Sedan debacle"(no offense to those that like rubber sedan)? Or does it make sense to go to such an effort to make everyone feel better that someday you might travel to race USVTA and have a legal car (be honest, if you aren't currently traveling, you most likely aren't going to travel much more than you already are...)?

Personally I love my VTA car, its a great car to run on a weekly basis, but that's what it is, my competitive local car. I'm glad that if I ever wanted to travel, I have 1/12th scale and Rubber sedan as options and would much rather put $210 into either of those before my VTA car.

Do what you want to do. Just understand that by changing your rules to be different from each other, you discourage traveling in Minnesota in favor of racers further away. So if you want to complain that no one is traveling to each others tracks, this is a great way to put another nail in that coffin and just be done with it as far as on-road is concerned.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Centerline Racing
Mike,

I'm at a loss how your comment is valid in the Twin Cities. We have Pfielsticker, Beamish, Cox, etc., etc., running VERY fast on the carpet in St Louis Park under the current MMR spec.

I challenge you to show up on a Wed nite or a Sunday race to see just how fast these cars are.

And, Mike, I will pay for your race fee and buy you a pizza and pop.

Sometimes the Wed night tracks at MMR are pretty compact. 1/2 to 1/3 the size of ToRC's gymnasiom sized track. Sometimes the ToRC layout is open and flowing, like last Sunday's layout. Some racers last Sunday whos cars were turning well and who had their gearing lower (higher numerically), could take the whole course without lifting off the throttle, if their lines were good. On this day, on that layout, I thought (not speaking for others here) 17.5/1 cell was a little slow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.