R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Minnesota and North/South Dakota Racing

Old 05-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default ALTEPETER FAMILY RACEWAY WILL BE ACTIVE AGAIN SOON

ALTEPETER FAMILY ELECTRIC OFFROAD RACEWAY CROOKSTON, MN

Some of our locals are getting together to start up electric off-road racing here at my home track in Crookston. These races will likely be all "Open" classes with the main focus on just having some fun. The main class be Short Course Truck, but I expect there will also be 1/18, 1/10 and possibly 1/8 if more go to that.

For the sake of having fair racing, models must be legal for the class entered in ROAR under "Open" divisions. For example, 3-cell LiPo or double packs won't be legal in 1/10, SC and etc. Racing always implies rules, so keep it simple and legal.

As things are right now, I have sprayed the weeds heavily and they are turning brown. It will take a couple more weekends before the track is ready again. Then, I will bring the KRC Raceway system here from Grand Forks and we can have some races. We have an AMBrc System with a full rack of loaner transponders. No one gets left out if they do not have their own Personal Transponders here, nor at any other R/C Racing action we are involved with.

This is not some half-baked scheme of some action that might happen. These races will happen. At least, some organized fun will be had. We do this to promote the hobby and there are no entry fees at the Altepeter Private Raceway. If you want to help with this project and run with us, let us know. For more info, Check out this board: http://www.krcproducts.com/forum/index.php?board=38.0

Last edited by Kevin; 05-22-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Tech Addict

ALTEPETER RACEWAY UPDATE 05/27/2011

The weeds are all dead now. Some of us are going to work on the track this weekend, weather permitting. The word is it is going to rain out tomorrow. That should not kill our efforts though, unless it really comes down. The raised black dirt area sucks up water great. As is now, the layout is completely dry.

I did get one thing taken care of for our site today. This item is something that has to be the absolute most important thing there is when it comes to getting the guys to come over to work on the track. My gas grill was shot, so I picked up a new one. Feed the guys well and it keeps them happy. That always worked at the manvel track.

With any luck, we will have this site running again real soon.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Default ALTEPETER OFFROAD RACEWAY UPDATE SUNDAY 5/29

ALTEPETER OFFROAD RACEWAY UPDATE SUNDAY 5/29

The track is all cleaned up. Bob and Cody came over this morning from Thief River Falls to help Grayson and I hoe all the green-age off. We now have a track again! Bob and Cody finished up the afternoon by running their SC Trucks and Electric 1/8 Scale.

We still plan to rework the layout, add some features, smooth things out and do some repacking. I also have to hook the watering system back up and move the KRC Race Management System back here from Grand Forks. Depending on the weather and help we get, it should not be much longer before we can schedule some race days.

Our group consists of guys that raced in Grand Forks mainly. There also are some Fargo area guys that say they plan to run with us once we get going. If you want to get in on the action here, let me know. If you register to the KRC Products Forum, you will be notified of any KRC Races including these at my home track in Crookston through the summer. In Crookston, we will have activities at least twice monthly until a public site can be put up in Grand Forks for KRC. Here is the address to our forum: http://www.krcproducts.com/forum
Old 05-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Default ALTEPETER OFFROAD RACEWAY CROOKSTON, MN UPDATE 05/30/2011

Looking at previous post titles, I realized that some may get the idea that KRC Raceway in Grand Forks may have an outdoor offroad track due to the address in my signatures. To that I say, "Sorry" and "I wish". Altepeter Raceway is a nice mid-sized Black Dirt Off-Road Racetrack located on my home property in Crookston, MN in a residential zone. That is why we cannot have nitro racing.

We will be re-working the layout and have some activities soon. Thanks for your patience.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Default SUNDAY JUNE 5TH AT ALTEPETER RACEWAY

We are getting together on Sunday to rework the track. The circuit will be changed and a crossing jump will be added. The other existing features will also be worked on as Time allows. Once we get the track redone and are ready to have some races, I will move the KRC Raceway system back here and we will schedule some race days.

Do you want to get involved, help out or just check the place out and see the track? We will be happy to see you. Here is the address:

Altepeter Raceway
702 Washington Ave.
Crookston, MN

The track is west and wraps behind the garage off of Crescent Ave. If any questions, please PM me or give me a call. (218) 791-4091.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Default ALTEPETER RACETRACK UPDATE 06/05/2011

ALTEPETER RACEWAY UPDATE 06/05/2011

The layout has been reworked. The Thief River guys came over early this morning to set the new layout and work the track flat. The crossing jump is figured out, but just braced up with some ties and an old tire so they could test run. Just between the two of them running for a couple of hours, the groove was already forming. I will frame the base of the new jump before next weekend.

Bob and Cody ran the track dry before they had to leave at around 3:00PM. This put off quite the little dust storm just between the two of them, especially when they ran electric 1/8 scale. A ready track watering system is definitely not optional on any dirt track. After they left, I managed to get the watering system reinstalled before quitting for the day to catch a movie. After we got home again, a nice little storm came through wetting the track down nice. That was just what the doctor ordered to smooth out out the new lanes.

So, basically the track is ready for action. On next Sunday 6/12, we will have Open Track to allow some practice while we get time final stuff done and I get the race management reinstalled here. The 6/19 weekend is Fathers Day, I do not expect we will plan to have anything then. After that, we will schedule some races and see how it goes.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Default OPEN PRACTICE SUNDAY JUNE 12TH

On Sunday June 12th we will have open practice starting at 9:00AM. Any Electric R/C Model from 1/18 to 1/8 Class is allowed. Please bring your own table, chairs and power cord. Time to start having some fun here!

Our first scheduled race date here will be on Sunday June 26th. After that point, regular racing will be scheduled throughout the summer. These races are provided by us to promote the hobby. There are no charges to enter. Public AMBrc transponders are provided.

Notice: KRC Products will not be moving back to Crookston for these summer races. KRC now operate out of Grand Forks as a North Dakota company. There will not be much for parts and products on site; just what we need for our own models. Please bring your own parts you may need. If there is something that I can bring you from KRC, please let me know in advance and I will have it here for you when possible. Thank you.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:49 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

how big is your track is it still in your back yard?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
Tech Addict

The track is a "L" shape area boxed in with Rail Road Ties with the long area 88' x 50' plus another 24' x 24' behind the garage. Total is a little under 5000 square foot.

Yes, it is located on my home property that is a corner lot 150' x 90'. Thus I cannot charge entry fees for my home site races. The Anti-Fun Police will have me in front of City Hall again if I do.

They cannot stop us from our fun though.

Site address:

702 Washington Ave.
Crookston, MN

(South corner of Crescent & Washington)
Old 06-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

There will be 3 of us coming from trf. You guys need to check out the track it's bigger than you'd think. Plenty big enough for a great day of racing for sure. Hope to see some fellow r/c'ers on sunday
AE FT SC10: Savox, MMP, CC 5700kv
Slash 4x4: MMP, SC 2400kv...Futaba 4pk
globolindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Tech Addict

To be honest, I am very happy with our mid-sized track here running electrics. Larger tracks these days are more designed for 1/8 Nitro Buggies and Truggies. You get lost out there with the smaller electrics; old farts like me can't see that far. My site is, and alway was, designed to cater mainly to 1/10 electrics. It is plenty large enough for this and you don't need 10 people free to corner Marshal the races. It is a great 6 driver per heat/main track; 10 with mini trucks. The layout is fun and fast, and having fun is what this is really all about, right?