Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2nd Annual Wild about Wheels carpet Race

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Bob,
I've got some vintage Novak ESC's. Not sure how well they will work, but if you need them you can have them.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

thanks Jason.

I've got more than I would ever care to count. But surely we can help somebody.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:58 AM
Tech Elite

Bomber rules

Class definition. Designed to look good at a car show style event and let a person have fun with old equipment on an even playing field. A cool looking class based on the two mid 50's McAllister Bodys. This class should be using most if not ALL of your old gear or old stuff you have laying around. If you're lucky, you should only have to buy a body. Truly, it cannot get any more inexpensive than that.

1) old 1:10 pan car, limited to 235mm wide. No nerfbars or bumpers protruding past the body lines. The "test mule" shown below, is just at 209mm wide. 235 wide cars will have a bit of rear tire hanging out past the body line. Looks great. make sure the body is centered on the chassis. No offsetting of the body. Standard 1/10 foam tires.

2) Speed limited to 20mph (could be adjusted up or down to fine tune, at the race.) the goal is tight, fun racing on a budget. MPH rule eliminates any advantage in roll out, high rpm motor, or good voltage batterys. we should all be EXACTLY the same speed on the straight. Bring spare pinions and spurs. Understand how to use, and get to, the high speed setting on your transmitter so we can fine tune if need be.

3) Body, have to use either McAllister #181 or #182 the mid 50's bomber body's. trimmed to the lowest body line so they stay tall looking. Bumpers in-tact. no add on spoilers or wings of any kind.

4) margin of victory, should you be leading a race, you can't win by more than 4 seconds. 3.99 is fine. We'll fine tune the process on race day. Likely we'll have to see what happens if 2nd gets tangled up in the last 30 seconds. OR some similar scenario. Goal is to create tight racing that looks good for the crowd. Added benefit of forcing the leader to REALLY pay attention to the other guys. I've thought of all the cheater scenarios, we don't need to discuss them here. It's very like the cars will be so similar that we'll just toss out the "margin" rule.

5) motor, Tamiya silver can motors. Johnson, or Mabuchi. You know the motors. Rock stock. Sure, we could run 27 turn stock motors... but we don't want that kind of power. the mabuchi motors are in the 35 watt range, and work VERY good for this purpose. They come in every Tamiya kit ever made, and new are only $15, I've seen them used for $3-$4. Find one. Lower power means reduced tire wear, less busted stuff, better competition, and potentially longer races.

6) battery, up to 2s lipo. Can run round cells if you like. either will take you to 20mph. Round are heavier. No weight break from round. However, there is nothing that says you have to run all 6 of them. The voltage you choose to get to 20mph is up to you. But 2s is the max.

7) Bring spare sticky backed lead weight. We reserve the right to have track officials add lead (let's call them trophys) to any car deemed to be speedier than the rest. Things can happen. Go too fast, break the spirit of the race, we'll hang a few trophys on ya.

8) weight, 1100g

9) When choosing a paint and decal theme. Simple is better. Imagine what local "Saturday night" bomber classes looked like in the mid to late 60's. Kinda plain.

10) I reserve the right to toss anybody that uses the rules "to hard" to some kind of diabolical advantage.

Here's the test mule. I could have made it from a 10L, just didn't seem to be in the spirit of the rules. On an oval, this handles good enough. Notice the silver can motor, and fossil Duster speed control. these are some old BSR spec tires. Not sure how old they are. I let 'em soak in Jack all day... they kinda came around. This class is ONLY about what will look good on the track at a car show. keep that in mind, we're putting on a show AND having a good time . I made me a big old fat bumper because I want to keep the body looking good as long as possible. This Chassis is an old TRC spec chassis, got to be 15 or more years old. everybody sticks to the spirit of the rules, we will have excellent looking cars, and excellent racing with VERY similar cars. Potentially the closest we've ever had. and absolutely, the cheapest racing EVER, with old stuff you quit racing with years ago. Getting some new use. Play this right and you can run the same car again next year, and so on.

Trying to hard to win this class will ruin this class. Let that soak in for a second. We have other classes to go fast in with the latest technology. Have a good time and enjoy it for what it is.

Evan was going to use his old WGT chassis... I SLAPPED HIM!! He's now got the same roached out TRC chassis. Randon will have the same.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 11-27-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:25 AM
Tech Elite

I've had 4 pm's about this since we started the discussion yesterday. Everybody likes the idea. This is good news.

Couple things have come up.

Everybody wants to tweak things just a little to make it a bit easier for their own purposes. i get it, but we're not going to deviate from the 2 bodies. It's about having the class look similar, to the crowd. If you can't swing the body, that's cool, stuff happens. But you can't run in the class without it.

27 turn stock motors... we've all got 'em... they're just two fast. Most are in the 55-60 watt range. that's a LOT more power than we want. With more power you need better tires, better chassis, better aerodynamics. Lower torque means owners with what were "sketchy" cars with a 27 turn motor, will have better handling cars with the Mabuchi. More power means more equipment, and less parity on the track. We want it to be as equal as possible with the LEAST amount of power we can get away with.

This will work just fine. i did a LOT of silver can 1/12th scale testing when we first started talking about 17.5 and 21.5, back in the day. silver can, driven well on our track in 8 minutes would go 68 laps, 27 turn would go 71. Surprisingly decent power.

The 1100gram weight might be heavy, even with all steel hardware, thick fiberglass chassis and 2.67 ounces for a bumper, I'm still light about 1-1/4 ounce. We'll try it and see how it all goes.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 02-28-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:57 AM
Tech Adept

Bob,

This is a great project! Glad to see you getting it put together. No doubt it will be a huge hit with the fans!

We've made a lot of progress on our "Montana Motorsports EXPO" since we talked a couple weeks back. Like the Minot Crew, it is a great opportunity for us to host a race and get out in front of a big crowd. I've no doubt that a lot of R/C clubs will be doing this type of event in the near future. Just makes sense!

Keep us in mind as you test this Bomber Class out. I think we have a couple of guys with parts that could do the same as you've shown here. If it's possible, we would like to offer to run the same thing here? Maybe we could borrow a couple Bombers you could bring back with you, repair when we're done and send back?

Our flyer for the R/C part of the race is done and due to go out. I would like to hold it up and put a "Bomber Class" on there if you guys will bring your stuff with you?

I'll email you the Flyer for the R/C race and the Poster & Flyers for the EXPO later today so you can see how our show is rounding out.

Thanks - And Best of Luck to the Minot Crew for another Wild About Wheels Show!!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Hey Bob,

I think I will be ordering a body and am going to be able to participate in this class at wild about wheels. That being said, I was wondering what everyone thought of doing a staggered heads up start for qualifiers, just like we do in the mains. Rotate the pole position just like what we do for qualifying but the crowd might like it better if the horn goes and all the cars take off. It would be easier for the crowd to tell who is in the lead and so forth. Food for thought.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

hey bob,you say old pan cars.how old are we talking about? only thing I have is a 10l3t. is it within the era?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Bomber Class

That's what I plan on using Troy. I think mine is the 10L4.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by VRacing

Keep us in mind as you test this Bomber Class out. I think we have a couple of guys with parts that could do the same as you've shown here. If it's possible, we would like to offer to run the same thing here?
Aaron, We're coming to your event in Great Falls in April. Car show races are WAY important to us as an RC community. Much more so than hiding in a warehouse and racing amongst ourselves for bragging rights. Bombers are cheap, especially to guys that have been in it forever and have TONS of old crap around.

Count on 3 from here. The old crapola you see in my pics.

Originally Posted by big_ads
I was wondering what everyone thought of doing a staggered heads up start for qualifiers, just like we do in the mains. Rotate the pole position just like what we do for qualifying but the crowd might like it better if the horn goes and all the cars take off. It would be easier for the crowd to tell who is in the lead and so forth. Food for thought.
Here's what I think is a Great idea. Finally, and simply, reward the first guy standing in line for the heat. You're there first, ready, not holding up the show, being responsible, you get the pole (for qualifying). Everybody else just lines up around the track 10 feet apart. You show up 2nd, you're behind that guy, etc. You're still on your own clock, so it technically doesn't matter where you are. give space around yourself, and go. I think all at once is just fine.

Originally Posted by roadkill
hey bob,you say old pan cars.how old are we talking about? only thing I have is a 10l3t. is it within the era?
Originally Posted by Loryde
That's what I plan on using Troy. I think mine is the 10L4.
10L4... how's that gonna work if end up doing road course? I suspect the advantages of having a nice chassis will be negated by the fact that you won't have to much horsepower and requiring it.

10l3t and L4 are triple shock cars. gonna be heavier, and I suppose that's fair.

Run 'em if you must. You get less respect points though for running a real car, expect some good natured teasing... I'm pretty confident that the mph rule will stand up as the equalizer. Remember, we ALL want this to work, and just one time, JUST ONE TIME, have relatively inexpensive racing that's competitive and still fun. Do your part to be a good citizen. ensure that those around you are also having a good time.

I think my personal head is in the right frame of mind. I don't want to win, I want to participate and have a good time. And would be quite pleased if anybody won, as long as the majority felt it was a success, and were willing to try it again some time.

Randy Grosse, get me a dimension and we'll start looking at track ideas.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 02-28-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

We're officially a part of the race program.

Got off the phone with RG and he says enthusiasm for the class is UP! and we are in. "Bomber class" is a part of the race program.

Get your junk ready.

ALSO, the "Bomber class" has just been added to the Montana Motorsports Expo race in April. Another great Car show style event in Great FALLS. No excuse not to get one going now!

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 02-28-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
We're officially a part of the race program.

Got off the phone with RG and he says enthusiasm for the class is UP! and we are in. "Bomber class" is a part of the race program.

Get your junk ready.
Dusted off the Corally CCT tonight after work. I hope the motor will fit in that pod haha
Old 03-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Bomber class update,

Randon had a great idea. You have to pick and run a number on your car. It's a race car, it's supposed to have numbers on it. And, if possible, for this class, I'd like to see everybody show up in the computer that way. It would help with announcing. "#55 Ralph Henderson in 4th and #61 Bobby Mengold is all over his back door..."

Don't get caught having the same number as somebody else.

Bomber "car number" list: 3 digits maximum. no letters or decimals.
#0, Mike Butts
#6, Troy Fisher
#7, Taylor Mogard
#08, Janet Grosse
#11,Lloyd Lochthowe
#14, Bob Stormer
#16, Marc Clementich
#18, Evan Billingsley
#51, Tim Reeb
#67, Steve Beeter
#78, Adam Balk
#85, Jason Lochthowe
#99, Steve Regstad
#167, Mark Kemmit
#256, Randon Stormer
#720, Tyler Lynn

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 03-15-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

No problem Bob. When I put them in the computer Ill put the number ahead of the first name.

#78 Adam Balk
Old 03-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Those 2 bodies, Normally, as you might imagine, not big sellers to a race crowd. We only keep about 4 of each around. and we might have only 1 of each right now.

McAllister sent us a bunch more, they'll be here in a few days.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 03-01-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Reminds me of our old "Days of Thunder" racers.

Those ill handling things were a ball to race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.