Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible new track in Detroit Lakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

Default Possible new track in Detroit Lakes

Just wanted to see what people would think about the possibility of a new offroad track here in Detroit Lakes? I just got off the phone of a friend of mine that has ties with WE Fest. They are in the planning stages of a couple of different venues for this summer and also next. (Can't say what yet)

But one of the venues may happen this August after the Big WE Fest concert takes place and then again for sometime early next summer (May or Early June). Now what we are thinking about is getting one of the camping areas of WE Fest (Not sure if you guys have any idea of how big the area is, but this area is huge and it doesn't get used much right now other than for two venues now, WE fest and 10,000 lakes festival) What we are looking at is to set up the track after WE Fest and use it for a semi-big race in latter part of August (say two week before the X Games, don't want to compete with XGames) which would be the same time of this new venue.

We are going to go out in a couple of weeks when things dry up out there and try to pick out an area that would work best. I mentioned that our offroad tracks now are in the neighborhood of 100x200, and he said that small! Meaning if we want bigger not a problem! And this may be setup as a permanent track if we can find the right location.

The venue we are thinking about could get huge! Nothing like WE Fest, but when compared to what we have now in the state now the possibilities could be huge! This would be great in that we would have a lot of possible future racers! New blood! Good exposure.

This is all just preliminary, but it has great potential! We would have power, camping spots, showers and lots of room. And the site now is ready for 60,000 WE Festers so a few hundred RC guys shouldn't be an issue.

Let me what you think?

Bill N.

p.s. Yes I do Offroad too!
Old 03-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Tech Addict

Would it be there for more than 2 years?
Old 03-30-2007, 03:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Would the track be free of complaining? All I see you do here on the tech is complain and no one is gunna come to a track long term and listen to people whine.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:07 AM
Tech Adept

how far is that from woodbury because i am looking for an off-road track
Old 03-30-2007, 06:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattster
how far is that from woodbury because i am looking for an off-road track

First off wish you VERY good luck with your project in DL, hope it goes well You can never have too many race tracks!!!

mattster, just a heads up, MarkO from TheBarn is planning an off road track (electric) for this summer
Old 03-30-2007, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

This could grow into a permanent track location with a permanent large race date that would occur the same weekend every year as the new venue. So yes this could be longer than 2 years. F.Y.I. WE Fest is celebrating there 25th this summer. (I've been hired to take pictures at it.)

p.s. This would be a predominately Nitro Offroad track, and the only thing that I have ever complained about is stock electric racing and HP. And with Nitro this is not an issue. Go back the back year or two that I've been on this forum and you'll see that, that was the only time I've complained about anything. So lets keep this thread positive and aimed at Offroad.

If this makes money for the WE Fest organization or even breaks even then I could see this lasting for years if there is support. (They are looking at this as added entertainment to the venue) This could be a National premiere permanent Offroad site if we do this right. These guys don't do anything second rate!

We have a local hobby shop that has been compiling a list of local guys with Offroad cars looking to race and the list that I saw from a week ago was 2 pages long. (These are new local guys). So I'm going talk to the owner about organizing a local club of these guys and have a meeting to talk about this.

Bill

If you want go to Goggle Earth to see the site of WE Fest.
46°46'23.51"N
95°52'14.91"W

WE Fest is located on the West side of 59, in between 59 and Cr-22 and to the East of Cr-22. North and South half mile or so. remember they fit over 60,000 people in here for WE Fest every year. The open area West of 59 is where we are thinking the track might go. Near the lake.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That's a reasonable drive from Winnipeg
Old 03-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

I notice you mentioned the X games--maybe you want to think about working around the MN Nitro Series too......because there is a ton of "premiere" off-road tracks and growing every year, and guess what--as the title said said Nitro Series thergo nitro orientated and all permanant.

AND you say keep this thread positve but yet you pi$$ed of half the racers in MN and now you want our backing???

Sorry but I am not backing this yet, maybe I will warm up to the idea later but of all the people to ask MN racers to back him it shouldn't be you after recent threads and post's-------on or off-road electric or gas you just have made poor decisions as far as how to go about things, and this leads me to believe you will make poor decisions in this venture. If I were you I would run the series and show the MN Series guy's(myself being a series racer) your serious and dedicated and I bet you might get some backing then.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

Not here to pi$$ guys off! Trying to keep this positive.

I don't want to step on the dates of the Nitro series if all possible or Xgames! Again nothing is set in stone.

But realize too that this side of the state we don't have anything! And this is a pretty big state! I'm 220 miles from Mpls and 300 from Sioux Falls and 300 from Winnipeg and 220 or so from Duluth!

So if you don't want to support this then its your choice! Being 200 mile plus from this site shouldn't effect your nor us much. With a little PR in the Fargo area we should be able to get a good startup base from there.

Bill
Old 03-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am sure you can count on few racers from Winnipeg!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Good Luck with it Bill, make sure you keep us informed on how its going and any possible race dates. The Nitro series race for August is in Foley on the 18th and 19th. If possible try to go a week before that, but I know how it is, there is too many race dates and not enough weekends!! Good luck!!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Bill, on a related note, that list of guys compiled by the hobbyshop in your area, are they thinking of doing any regular running at a club level? I know this is a thread about the bigger race, but would be cool to know also if the area will have club level action too somewhere in detroit lakes.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

dp
Old 04-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

If this goes one of the ideas is to have this accessable for local racing during the week.

But now that we have another 8 or 10inches of the white stuff hitting us, this may be put back a day or so! ;(

Global warming! I have about 8i nches of Global warming to stuff down some Green Peace guys pants! Just last Friday the local Golf Courses opened at Noon and then promptly closed at 1pm because of the Rain! And now we have 8 inches and its still coming down.........

Bill
Old 04-04-2007, 03:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I would race there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.