R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Minnesota and North/South Dakota Racing

Old 11-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Tamiya mini cooper

Hey i started this page as there were a lot of questions at racing as to what chassis can be run and what you can do to the car. going over 3 diffrent threads of info is a pain.

The class is based off of the tamiya m-0 chassis. if you have a old m-01, m-03, or a newer m-05 these three chassis will work for this class as they are the front wheel drive version of the car.

as far as upgrades go there are only a couple that you are able to do

1. full ball bearing kit. tamiya has one for $22.00
2. the mini c.v.a. super shock set part number tam50746 is the set that fits these cars. these shocks are sold in pairs so you will need 2 sets. price is right around $14 a set.

other then that the car is ment to be ran box stock. the kit can be found around town for about $120.00 with a speed control and stock motor in the box.

now i do have a couple questions of my own

1. is the battery going to be spec?
2. as there are a lack of the mini cooper version of this kit avalible intown. will we allow a diffrent bodied version of this car?

now for what

Last edited by onroad dude; 11-30-2010 at 05:01 PM.
onroad dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can say by next year lsrcrc is expecting to run a box stock m05/ bearing car with no battery spec.

I'm hoping body rules open up and maybe shocks, but the way WildBill drives a all stock car and getting 4 laps on the field proves to me oil shocks are not a must.
Pit Bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for this, I was starting to do research on the minis, after watching these run at the armory on sunday, im rather smitten

Hey Pit bitch, thanks for the info at the track, im the big guy with the mohawk that was racing short course. Im seriously considering making a purchase. One question, what batteries do you use? I know regular lipo packs dont fit.
lsandifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Big guy with a Mohawk?? You're gonna have to narrow it down.

I run a Yea Racing 20c 3200mah but it's over kill IMO. A 8 minute main was 1508mah and 6 minutes average around 1000 mah.

Total car weight is 1313g according to MMR's scale.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default Mini

Last time I was at MMR he had the mini in stock along with the shocks and bearings.
haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bitch View Post
Big guy with a Mohawk?? You're gonna have to narrow it down.

I run a Yea Racing 20c 3200mah but it's over kill IMO. A 8 minute main was 1508mah and 6 minutes average around 1000 mah.

Total car weight is 1313g according to MMR's scale.

venom makes a 4000 mah pack thats made to fit the tamiya cars. right around $37

3 of us were running them on sunday
Old 11-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to wild_bill

First off I'm very excited for the interest in this class. I've run cooper at LSRCC, MMR and TCORC. There has been a ton of interest and close battles every race. Good idea Brian for starting a thread here to answer questions and any updates.

We started this class at LSRCC to possibly replace the current spec class. We are not trying to kill off the Trinity spec class but the chassis has been discontinued for some time. The cooper was intended to be cheap and simple.

Here is what we have so far....

Chassis
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXPV3&P=7

Bearings
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXRC5&P=Z

Shocks
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGL65&P=7

This is the battery I'm running
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYKT6&P=7

I don't see any need to spec a particular lipo. I don't think there will be any advantages while running these esc's and motors. Just respect the tracks requirements on roar approved lipos. I know Venom, Yea Racing and Orion all make roar approved packs that fit these chassis.

I don't see any issues in running any tamiya body that is designed for the M-05 chassis that utilizes the SHORT wheelbase. I also don't see any issues with running an older version chassis as long as it is FWD only. NO PRO CHASSIS.

The only thing that we haven't decided on is tires. If you price it out to replace the current ones its around $40 for rims, foams and rubber. I know mine after four race days are showing alot of wear in the front. I'm not looking to find a tire that's better just something cheaper to replace.

Now I'm open for any suggestions or feedback here. Originally we were going to run this class at LSRCC as a demo and kind of make up the rules as we go. After four races this is where I stand. The whole goal here was cheap and simple. I am currently running box stock with bearings only and a venom lipo.
wild_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I pretty much agree with what Billy said. We will probably test another tire to try and find one that works the same but wears better and hopefully costs less.
My only reason for wanting to keep it a Cooper only body is to just keep it simple. I'd hate to see someone get a new body thinking it's short wheelbase only to find out it's medium or long. With that said, if the rest want to open up the bodies it's fine with me so long as it's understood that we run short wheelbase only and med and long will not be allowed. I don't want to see the class turn into a "gotta buy this body or that one to make the car handle better" kind of class, that would get expensive at $30.00 plus per body.
Oil shock have already been agreed on and we will find out soon how they work. I think the springs that come with them are too long and will not let us get all the benefits of changing to the oil shocks so would like to be able to change springs also. Not a big deal but some may not want it and I think the added ride ht adjusment will only help.

Can't wait to run mine again, this is one fun car!
G the Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
Tech Master

as far as the oil filled shocks go. i built mine today! the part number above is the kit. and they can be built in a few diffrent lengths. and also come with limiters wich helped drop my ride height big time! i will see how big a differance it makes this weekend
Old 11-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onroad dude View Post
as far as the oil filled shocks go. i built mine today! the part number above is the kit. and they can be built in a few diffrent lengths. and also come with limiters wich helped drop my ride height big time! i will see how big a differance it makes this weekend
How did the stock springs fit on after putting in the limiters? Just courious.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIITA View Post
How did the stock springs fit on after putting in the limiters? Just courious.
not to bad maybe a little tight. but its way less springy then it was. i dont think it cramped the springs enough to make them to stiff
Old 11-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Wild bill, thanks for the links, Ithink I see an order in my near future.
There was talk about tires and finding cheaper alternatives, I found a UK based site that uses the mini chassis for full out rally racing and they noted that tires from the rc18t fit the mini rims. With the release of the losi and associated late model and vehicles that use a treaded tire, that could be a viable option.

Pit bitch, I was the guy pitting next to NicklePimp at the table across from you.
lsandifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsandifer View Post

Pit bitch, I was the guy pitting next to NicklePimp at the table across from you.

PickleLimp? Never heard of him.

Good looking out on those tires. I have some road rage prolines I might try to fit later today.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

Can I run one of the aftermarket pre-tuned motors?
Old 11-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #15
Tech Master

stock motor not a pre tuned one