Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ammdrew
Now who has the laptop and can turn it on and hit upload...????
Gary maybe?>
Old 01-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So basically you guys shared one set of tires amongst yourselves, and based on that one night, decided to change the rules? Kind of stinks, some people have allready got spare tires, the kit tires don't wear out THAT quick, the sweeps are not that easy to get, especially for a local shop some might want to support, rather than mail order.... I could see making a choice like this at season's break, but to just do it now after one Thursday night with the locals seems like a short sighted decision in my opinion.... JEFF
Old 01-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ffejdat
So basically you guys shared one set of tires amongst yourselves, and based on that one night, decided to change the rules? Kind of stinks, some people have allready got spare tires, the kit tires don't wear out THAT quick, the sweeps are not that easy to get, especially for a local shop some might want to support, rather than mail order.... I could see making a choice like this at season's break, but to just do it now after one Thursday night with the locals seems like a short sighted decision in my opinion.... JEFF
The only rules they changed was for Thursday club nights at LSRCC. I do think they have the right to do that. MMR should do as they see best for their racers.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Since we run the class weekly up at lsrcc, most of our tires are down to the foams and we need new ones. Since the stock tires are 40.00 and most guys want to keep it cheap we decided to test a set that would be a replacement tire for this class. Since the sweeps are 25.00 and a lot better on our track, better on the motors and last longer we decided to go that route. I really don't care either way and if the guys that travel and race the class have to switch back to the stock tires, "not a problem".
Old 01-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ammdrew
Now who has the laptop and can turn it on and hit upload...????
Andrew made a funny !
Old 01-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by G the Menace
We are looking at 2 options for replacement tires at this time. First option is the Sweep premounts, they are easy to get, cost $10.00 less for a set of 4 and are supposed to last a LONG time. I have s set on order for testing and if they hook up well on carpet they will probably be the replacement for the kit tires. If they don't work at least as well as the stock tires we will go with the Tamiya Spec premounts as the replacement tires. We should be able to make a decision after this Thursdays or next Thursdays points race.
Where were all your comments and opinions when I posted this on 1-10 ?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Greg, I believe I voiced all these kind of concerns in person when you were talking of checking these tires out, I knew you were gonna try them, I just didn't think you guys would make sucha quick and IMO rash desicion to change tires midstream, I know Bill's tires lasted a LONG time for how much he ran his car, If he would have rotated front to back once in a while they would last even longer...
So is this only going to be for Thursday night tires for up there the rest of the season, or are they now the tire for all LSRCC races, what about World of Wheels? Which hardness or shore tires are the "right" Tire? How do you police which shore is being used?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 PM
lee
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So based on one night of racing (100 - 150 laps) you decieded that these new tires will last longer. I think the smart thing would be to have 3 or 4 racers to share these test tires for a month to truely test how long they will last. Or will there be a new test tire next month?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

ok so heres my question. every one is saying a new set of mini tires will cost $50. tamiya has a diffrent set of m-chassis tires that are cheaper. and the same size so you wont lose speed do to a smaller tire. plus its still a tamiya tire. and only $6.75 a pair. Homer has been running these all year with very little ware on them and get just as much traction as the stock tires.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=TAM50568
Old 02-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Wow, where do you want me to start. Where has Homer run these all year? MMR? TCORC? Do these tracks have an open tire rule? Has he been running illegal all year by not running the kit tires at either of these 2 tracks? Why did he switch from the kit tires? Did the kit tires wear out too soon forcing him to buy new tires? Why didn't he get kit tires when he got new ones? How much did it cost to mount these up with inserts and wheels? Are these in stock so others can get them? It says they are on backorder on the link.
If you race at LSRCC a new set of mini tires does not cost $50.00, it's $25.00 for the Sweep premounts and they are legal, that's the point of the rule change.

Last edited by G the Menace; 02-03-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G the Menace
Wow, where do you want me to start. Where has Homer run these all year? MMR? TCORC? Do these tracks have an open tire rule? Has he been running illegal all year by not running the kit tires at either of these 2 tracks? Why did he switch from the kit tires? How much did it cost to mount these up with inserts and wheels? Are these in stock so others can get them? It says they are on backorder on the link.
I'm pretty sure Homer didn't buy a new kit. He's running a kit he already owned. I'm positive he's not running them to cheat. I vote to quit taking this class so damn serious. I don't know about you but I race to have fun.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:40 PM
lee
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Greg
Let me clear some of this up. Brian was telling me he had found a Tamiya tire that was only 6.75 and I said that must be the same tire I bought as my was the cheapest tires I could find. Here is the tires I bought at Hubb.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=TAM50683
If these are not the correct tires please let me know. The reason that I was changing tires was the tires I had on my 8 year old M03 that has been setting in the closet was dried out. I was lucky enough to be able peel the old tires off the rim and was able to reuse the foam. But at $9.50 a per even with needing to buy rims and foams you are only looking at $30.00 per set.

I am not against changing tires but I think there should have been more testing and more in put by everyone that is racing the Mini.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Homer, I understand completly. It's all about having fun and saving some money too. I was just tying to make a point using Brians post. I am just the messenger here trying to let everyone else know what we are doing at LSRCC. The decision was made based on what the majority of mini racers at our club wanted. Since the begining of the season the question of a replacement tire has come up every time we raced. I found a cheap replacement tire and made sure others were onboard with trying them out with the understanding that if I spent my money to try them out and they worked we would go with the Sweeps so I wouldn't be left hanging with tires I couldn't use myself. Instead of being told that I'm taking the class too damn seriously for trying to make others understand what we are doing and why, it would be nice if I got a little backup from some of the guys that this rule change was made for.
For the record, if it was up to me we would have gone with TCS rules, then we wouldn't have all this B.S. !

Last edited by G the Menace; 02-03-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

3 words
VINTAGE TRANS AM
Old 02-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

VTA has always been my first choice for a low cost Spec class and I tried that at our fall meeting,ask Andrew, but nobody else in the club wants to get into VTA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.