Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minnesota touring car thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yeah, I think that's gonna be the way to go. 17.5 is definitely plenty fast, especially with the track layouts that we race on week after week.So I guess in all fairness, I'm for 17.5. Mr. Bangle proved that 17.5's are just about as fast as 13.5's last year when he sometimes would run his in the 13.5 class. 13.5's got the speed in the straight, but My God, straight, what's that. Each and every day I come closer and closer to 17.5, it's good, it's fast, it's sticky, and most of all, it's FUN.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

In support of the 17.5 I must be honest, wednesday I ran both 17.5 and 13.5. The 13.5 was .2 slower and had twice the tire where! Didn't get hot though.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default 17.5

I ran the 17.5 all weekend in both stock and SS at the WOW race like Bub said and for the SS main I put the 13.5 in and did not go any faster!To Sandy's point about the heat between the WOW race and the MMR Challenge race I burned up a great motor but I knew that I was running it on kill but I really wanted that Race Rewards Trophy!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
I ran the 17.5 all weekend in both stock and SS at the WOW race like Bub said and for the SS main I put the 13.5 in and did not go any faster!To Sandy's point about the heat between the WOW race and the MMR Challenge race I burned up a great motor but I knew that I was running it on kill but I really wanted that Race Rewards Trophy!
Thanks Bangle! Come to Vegas and win an even bigger one.
Your sponsors should VASA & MUSTERCARD. That would be funny!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'll start off by saying I don't own a sedan. At this time.

I've run both foam and rubber tires on sedans, and they both work. I would have said rubber tires until I read Huttner's point about getting a groove into the carpet quickly.

While I hate the idea of using a tire lathe and the possibility of chunking tires, I'd agree that foam tires are for the greater good in our circumstance.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Althought John makes a good point with the groove and its very good one. I didnt say anything after his post because i didnt know if rubber tire would put down a groove in compared to a foam tire car.

So my scientific approach was this:
So in short i changed my layout, from the 2010 snowbirds layout on my personal 98x42 CRC track and within 300 laps i was within .5sec per lap of the A-Main Rubber tire 17.5T class. It was the 2009 snowbirds layout i used so i have concrete data on lap times for comparison. And that was just me no one else and no foam cars on the track so if you had 20 cars or more the groove would be just fine after just a little practice. Oh yeah also my track was 10ft longer because I didnt have the pit row the 'birds layout had to the left of the drivers stand that year. You know the place where the fire ball happened. That was funny by the way. I was about 20 feet away when that happened.

Also what some people dont know is many promotor will vacuum the track and use fans to get rid of the groove between rounds becuse it gets too sticky. So the groove aspect should not be a factor.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Tear up the carpet, lay down some real nice black-top.Problem solved, everybody would run rubberDon't worry bout the grip, it'll just get grippier....and grippier.....and grippier even still. Unless, of course, ya wanna vaccuum.Then it's all over.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Im just stating objective facts that grip wont be an issue with rubber tire sedan, thats all. And too much grip is a huge problem with for foam tire cars. So the addition of rubber tire wont effect any class performance. Plus you will attract people from wisconsin for races.

I've been to tracks on club nights that the carpet sticks the to bottom of you shoes when you walk on it and you can watch the carpet pull up when you walk on it. Feels like you walking in shoe goo. You can see people for the first time walking on in it because there actions are like what the #(%) is going on and looking down at there shoes. It's really funny!

And Mr. Bubby you can vacuum i have not touched a vacuum in 5 years or so. Our house keeper does that for our family.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SkarTisu

I've run both foam and rubber tires on sedans, and they both work. I would have said rubber tires until I read Huttner's point about getting a groove into the carpet quickly.

While I hate the idea of using a tire lathe and the possibility of chunking tires, I'd agree that foam tires are for the greater good in our circumstance.
I pushed the rubber tire scene quite a bit and no longer do so. I felt it was going no where and I was just pissing people off. I am fine running foam however I believe we are just delaying the end result which will be us running rubber tires. Spec tires now will level the playing field and there won't be the tire and insert of the week. Once again I am fine with both and I don't want to make enemies. Marshall, Andrew has his Hudy lathe set-up at the track along with his tweak boards for us to use. MMR is the real deal for us carpet racers!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Default Sedan

You want a sedan..... You need a sedan.....
Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

The only way you run rubber is a spec setup that is controlled by the track. That will eliminate some of the cost factor for sure, but the real issue with rubber tires is the abuse on the carpet. Having run both for years, the rubber tires were much harder on the carpet than the foams so maintenance and moving the corners around regularly so they occur in different places is key.

That said, I'm still for foams... Looks like I'll need a 17.5 now...
Old 08-24-2010, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

I'm tellin' ya, nice flat black asphalt is the way to go. Absolutely no maintenance'cept maybe for a broom. Maybe even make it with raised corners and have an outside oval with an infield for TC's and such. Kinda like Hide-a-way tri-oval but on a much much smaller scale......yeah....That's the ticket
Old 09-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Just figured I'd see if others would/wanted to post what they are running this year for gear.

Car: Associated FT TC4
ESC: Novak Kinetic 2s
Motor: Novak Ballistic 17.5/13.5
Battery: R_PWR 5200 40C
Servo: KO 2343 Digital

BTW, I installed and left the Novalink at the track so if you get a Kinetic, you won't need to buy the Novalink.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

my self i would rather run on foam! i have ran both. you watched me run both cars last year! infact the new years rumble race i won the 17.5 class on rubber tires!

last year 1/12 was the biggest class, and WGT was just starting. like John said if we switch the tires to rubber were not going to get the grip for those type of cars thats needed for the good racing we saw last year.

as far as the motor goes. on Andrews tracks i would say the 17.5 motors would be plenty fast as he runs tighter layouts. i will say that up at LSRCC where they run a little more open for some the 17.5 might be a little slow as there tracks will let the 13.5's use there power more.

so i vote foam ive talked with Jaco on this and at this time they have no plans to stop production. just maybe cut back on how many they make as the demand goes down! they said themselve they have seen this trend before and in 4-6 years it will probably be back to foam!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default tires

Hi guys.
I just started running a sedan late last year. I really enjoyed it.
John's point on the sedans on foams contributing to the groove is where I'm at. Our track needs all the groove it can get ...especially on a cold day (We could use a foam draggin Zamboni). As far as motor goes...For me, the racing is still fast enough (17.5), especially with the new speedo's. Another consideration would be that most entry level and mid range racers aren't going to be as out of control running 17.5's. That should make for better racing with cleaner passing and less hard crashes.

Last edited by sterling moss; 09-13-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.