Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Minnesota and North/South Dakota Racing
Winter 08/09 RHR Racing: ELECTRIC OFF-ROAD RACING ANYONE? >

Winter 08/09 RHR Racing: ELECTRIC OFF-ROAD RACING ANYONE?

Winter 08/09 RHR Racing: ELECTRIC OFF-ROAD RACING ANYONE?

Old 08-31-2008, 08:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Winter 08/09 RHR Racing: ELECTRIC OFF-ROAD RACING ANYONE?

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY CAIN at www.mnnitroseries.com :

This thread is to discuss general electric racing at the Red Horse Ranch Winter Events that Jon Carlson will be putting on, and come up with some configurations of classes to propose to Jon for his approval for the Winter races.

Jon has mentioned that he is open to running electric vehicles as long as there is enough to make a class (minimum 7). As there currently are a variety of electric vehicles out there, maybe it would be good to discuss ways to meet that turnout and give electric racers a chance to participate.

Initially as I have stated before, I think a setup based on scale would be a good way to draw in a variety of vehicles. This would keep the bigger vehicles like 1/8 scale and MTs away from the 1/10 scale sized vehicles, but allow the various types to run.

My initial thoughts would be:

- 1/8 scale & MT sized vehicles
- 1/10 scale sized vehicles

It may be beneficial to initially have the classes open similar to Mike Fisk's age based classes as far as powerplant goes till enough electric turnout builds. As a side effect, nitro guys may have the opportunity to get more racing in too.

Is anybody interested in running electric offroad up at RHR this winter?

We need AT LEAST 7 confirmed racers to make a class as stated before. We could maybe make an electric open class if you 1/10 truck guys don't mind running with the 1/8th scales?

Or are there at least 7 electric 1/8th scale racers out there?

Please post here as we are trying to make this happen.

Once again, in order for this to happen we need 7 confirmed racers!!! Please post!

Thank you for your time,

Steve
Old 08-31-2008, 11:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i have a brushless t4 and will run with the 1/8 just for the fun of it. my son as well
Old 09-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ddtjr
i have a brushless t4 and will run with the 1/8 just for the fun of it. my son as well

That is very cool...Do you think I can confirm you on attending?

First race is Dec. 6 I believe. We would be happy for you to join us.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Where is this track located?
Old 09-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

i plan on attending all 4 events and running my truggy but i will be bringing my electrics with as well and hope we can get enough to race
Old 09-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mike_d
Where is this track located?
Fergus Falls, MN

Originally Posted by ddtjr
i plan on attending all 4 events and running my truggy but i will be bringing my electrics with as well and hope we can get enough to race
Very cool. Yes be sure to bring your electrics-and your son lol

As of right now:

ME (rustlerboi1052)
Cain
Entjoles
ddtjr
ddtjr's son

That's 5---> 2 more confirmed racers and we have a class. Its that easy.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I think the alvashere's will be able to attend as well with there electrics too which can range from a 2wd buggy, 2wd stadium truck, or even a 4wd 1/10 scale buggy. I would say that if they do attend, we could count on at least 2 more entries, maybe three.

The Fergus Falls Red Horse Ranch is really nice facility for indoor racing, HUGE. Heck, you could probably run three tracks in there as its so big. You also have power, etc. Food was pretty good too. Really enjoyed the WOR series events that took place there.

ddtjr: is this donnie? Do you know if the Manvel / Grand Forks guys may attend? I know several of them have electric trucks.

If Lone_Drifter is available, I believe he has a 4wd electric buggy and a 1/10 scale stadium truck to run as well as his nitro vehicles too.

Another thing to discuss and get to a draft to submit to Jon Carlson is what we want to do as far as rules and heat / main configurations.

I know for brushless setups using lipo or a good NIMH, mains between 10 - 20 minutes can be achieved.

What does everyone else think for mains and heat times? right now, I like a 5 - 10 minute heat range, and a 10 - 15 minute main range.

could do 10 - 10 - 10min range (2 heats, 1 main assumption).

Last edited by Cain; 09-02-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

I say heats should be 7 minutes.

Mains 10 minutes.

I know that not everybody has the best packs out there for racing (ME!!) but if i had some better packs that I could afford i'd totally be up for 15 minute mains. You know i'd really just have to go to the track for practice and see how long it takes for me to run out one of my packs going and a racing pace.

I'm guessing 10 minutes on my Zippy lipos...since they are not the best quality...
Old 09-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Legend

From what I understand in the 1/8 scale electric crowd, the zippy's actually work very well for the money. shockingly well in that matter.

Here is something else that may be helpful for the 1/10 scale truck crowd.

Jon mentioned in a message that 1/10 scale electric stadium trucks are allowed to run with the nitro stadium trucks for his events. So, if there is a concern that you will show up and not be able to run as not enough people turned out for 1/10 scale stadium trucks electric, you are still in luck.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not promising anything here but if we(Alveshere's) were to run, 10 minute races would really be pushin' it as we do not run Lipo's. Also, last time one of our electrics ran in the 15 minute gas main the motor came off at like 225. That length of race is too hard on hot brushed mods. Not trying to make things difficult but just wanted to throw that out there as there are probably others who would run into the same issues.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:00 AM
Tech Legend

thats good info. It may be either a less hot setup, or, maybe some other format for mains? Main thing I am thinking is that actual runtime is something close to what nitro gets. maybe a triple main format or something?

Thoughts?
Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i would be interested in running 1/10 electric truck if the track is of medium size. i say that as i just raced at x-games in the electric class and the track was way to big. 60 second laps are to long.

as for time racing compared to messing around
7 minutes can be made
10 minutes is possible with medium to good packs
15 minutes is possible but motors and esc and batteries get hot

i am game to race!

Racin'4-fun
Old 09-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Tech Legend

Not sure on what Jon is planning, will ask what the size of the last track was for the WOR event. I would say though that from what I have seen, Jon is really good about making the tracks flow really well, and I believe that it the track should work well for 1/10 scale trucks since gas truck is a class.

Anyone have any more opinions on what they are thinking as far as heats and mains?

Also, any thoughts on open style classes based on scale? The age based classes appeared to have good turnout at the WOR events, maybe scale based open classes could give those with bigger electrics similar sized vehicles to run with and have 1/10 scale guys feel more comfortable running there vehicles?

For those interested in the 1/8 scale electric thing going on, here is a little breakdown comparison of cost between a nitro race setup and a similar electric race setup for 1/8. Bear in mind that you can go cheaper on both setups for sure. Main thing to draw from this though is that the cost isn't astonomical for 1/8 scale electric as compared to nitro to get going.

http://www.tony1034.com/ts/EMBX5R/Ni...MBX5R_cost.htm

Last edited by Cain; 09-03-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

yes cain this is donnie. i dont know about the guys in grandforks. i guess the best we can do there is ask them at the fall shootout. as far as runtime goes im game for whatever happens plus i dont care what i tun against just want to have a good time
Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Triple mains work quite well and so far I think that's the best suggestion to accomodate everyone, however it would probably be quite time consuming and probably inefficient to use at a primarily nitro race. We run 5 minute heats and 7 minute mains here in Bismarck and that works good enough for most. I can see where it would be more fun to run longer races but I think it's gonna be tough unless there's a separate class for lipo/bl.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.