Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Well, its about time! New ROAR rules...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Tech Adept

Default batteries didn't have any thing to do with the fire!!!

a spark from the motor started the heavily doused (with motor spray and brake cleaner) garbage can on fire.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Either Fire from Lipo, or Grenade from NIMHs.

Oh well, we all gotta go sometime . . .

The trinity LiPro seems to have a cutoff built into the pack. Really looking into this one, though I wish it used Hyperion taps.

Bob, what is the issue exactly with the Tekin R1 ESCs and slower brushless motors? are they cogging off the line?
Cogging or searching, like all sensorless will. Mind you, I'd have no problem running it. It feels really good, and the RIP on the motors is excellent. I'm curious to see how the sensored feels.

The less you roll sensorless out, the better, so in mod, just run a higher KV motor. I've got about 20 packs through one now. Seems to work. I REALLY like how light the R1 is, and no trash can capacitor...

We'll see, Tekin is about done working on a sensored version. I don't know that ANY sensorless unit would be able to roll out something like a 21.5 without some serious issues, so they've been working on a sensored version.

Sure is nice not to have all those extra wires tweaking the pod.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by flyernemesis
a spark from the motor started the heavily doused (with motor spray and brake cleaner) garbage can on fire.
And our hero Mitchy, removed the can from the building, saving the day!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by grossinator
Bob, that is an amazing video! I really want to see that happen! NOT! I like my NiMH's, i dont have any problem taking care of them.
Between the hardcore 3 of us here that race, I suspect we have around 60-80 packs in various configurations for touring or offroad, or 1/12th or whatever. We've never blown one, and we've rematched most of our 4200's twice, likely another 2400 cell cycles... nothing. last winter I did several hundred test packs on our track... Nothing.

I've often wondered if it isn't more user error that has lead to it. Whatever it is, will be MUCH more interesting with LIPO.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:20 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

eli's explosion at Novak was user error, he saw the battery bar come loose and was taking the body off to remove the cell with it sparking and it finally got enough to dead short and blow.

Mark Day at iic had the battery sitting on the charger heard a hiss unplugged charger boom.

So maybe on some 4200 from ib we have a issue. This in the US can be tracked to one batch. right around the iic, and most others have some sort of user error.

ROAR excomm worked off committe recommendations that were made over the past months of work from many members and experts. You still need to wait and see who gets there batts approved. But no correlation between any vendor, though many vendors were allowed to add input on lipo and bl.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Tech Regular

Hey BillN

My fire had nothing to do with a battery blowing up. I was able to continue using that battery pack for quite a while after it was in a car that was on fire. Just thought I would get the record straight.

Have a great day

Janet
Old 01-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

Hey BillN

My fire had nothing to do with a battery blowing up. I was able to continue using that battery pack for quite a while after it was in a car that was on fire. Just thought I would get the record straight.

Have a great day

Janet
Old 01-17-2008, 06:51 AM
Tech Regular

My mistake, I thought I had heard something about a battery being involved in the lustrious Regina fire! But now I hear it was just you trying to grillup some 1/12 scale for dinner! I can understand why!

Motor spray opens up a whole new round of safety issues in the pits! I've killed my fair share of Bees with mtr spray! Raid has nothing on mtr spray. One of those kills I wish I had on video.

Thanks for the clarification. Have a nice day, even if it is 20 below out.

BillN
Old 01-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

There are a whole lot of safety measures that should be taken that are not at various tracks I have been too, indoors, outdoors, onroad, offroad, etc.

I still get a kick out of the time I saw a guy working on his nitro, fuel all over the place because it was flooded, an open fuel container right next to him, and he was puffing away on a cigarette with Ashes just flicking all over the place. Needless to say, I moved away from his pit area.

Bob, based on your experiences, have you tested any of the A123 batteries? They appear to have a much safer chemistry than anything else based on there videos, and other than the voltage drop which for mod classes shouldn't matter could be the nice compromise between NIMH "safety" and lipo "performance". Do you know if ROAR tested any of there packs?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Brushless got to love them ran one last night 3 laps $300 puff love saving MONEY
CVETTE
Old 01-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain
There are a whole lot of safety measures that should be taken that are not at various tracks I have been too, indoors, outdoors, onroad, offroad, etc.

I still get a kick out of the time I saw a guy working on his nitro, fuel all over the place because it was flooded, an open fuel container right next to him, and he was puffing away on a cigarette with Ashes just flicking all over the place. Needless to say, I moved away from his pit area.

Bob, based on your experiences, have you tested any of the A123 batteries? They appear to have a much safer chemistry than anything else based on there videos, and other than the voltage drop which for mod classes shouldn't matter could be the nice compromise between NIMH "safety" and lipo "performance". Do you know if ROAR tested any of there packs?
I don't like the A123 stuff, we sell some of it, people ask for it, but I'm not a fan. Not sure if ROAR has looked at them. They're more of a "brought in from elsewhere" solution than the lipo stuff we're dabbling with now.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CorallyBQuiK
Brushless got to love them ran one last night 3 laps $300 puff love saving MONEY
CVETTE
Bill has a few outdated Brushless motors, he'd probably shoot you a pretty good deal on.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up New year and new rules...

Nice to see Bill will start racing TC again with new batteries and no maintenance motors. Now everyone have even power so racing will be close.

Talking some racing safety. Last summer I stop by one of off-road race and holy cow (ND slang) marshaling 1/8th gas off-road is danger! Those monster move, fly and weight so I can just think how it feels to get kiss out of car.

Anyway,

Good luck for any racing what you guys doing!
Old 01-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

At one of our offroad races back in the day (Mitch might even have been here for it), Mike Kent was bent over in the double, marshaling a few cars, and took one right to the head... About tipped him over. Was even funnier at the time.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

First hand experience here taking a truggy to the face last year at the last Manvel race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.