Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic RC Racing
Family Hobbies Raceway Vineland N.J. opening day April 2nd. >

Family Hobbies Raceway Vineland N.J. opening day April 2nd.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree39Likes

Family Hobbies Raceway Vineland N.J. opening day April 2nd.

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-30-2018, 05:00 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Family Hobbies Raceway Vineland N.J. opening day April 2nd.
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Judge Judy
Latest Race Results

Opening day- April 7th and we race(weather permitting)every Sat until the end of October

Registration 10:30- 11:30, racing starts at 12 noon.
You can get here as early as you want to set up, but no one is permitted on
the track until registration starts at 10:30.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Don't forget tomorrow is race day! The weather looks great so come out and have some fun! Hope to see you all trackside!

Linda
Old 06-16-2019, 02:03 PM
Tech Adept

Had a fun day at the race yesterday. It was great seeing Chris and Amber again and meeting their dog Kirby and playing with the kids Caleb and Josh. There was some unbelievably close finishes between Chris and Carl all day! Chris made the podium twice and Carl once. We got to race double A-mains in this beautiful weather. Greg Harmer did a great job in E-buggy taking first overall in that class. He finally slowed down for the turns and was able to keep some momentum to come out of the turns with some power. This cut down the wide line he had to take while going a bit fast and tighten up his line through the turns to gain precious seconds. Angel did a great job and obviously worked on his driving skills as he gained better lap times by the end of the day. Great to chat with Brandon Joyce for awhile after not seeing him since he was a kid. He also did well. Now we gotta get Aaron back out. Also returning were Tim and Kyle both running 1/10th buggy. Good to see them again. The results are up posted by Fred on Family Hobbies Raceway. You can see the close competition all day. Hope to see everyone back again on the 29th for some more fun! Thanks to all who came out!

Linda
Old 06-29-2019, 04:26 AM
Tech Adept

Races are on for today! Hope to see you all at the track!

Linda
Old 07-02-2019, 03:22 PM
Tech Adept

We had a fun day of racing Saturday here at Family Hobbies Raceway. I wouldn't have thought that many racers would come out on a hot day like that but they did! We initially heard the first round of rain would come in about 5 p.m. I knew we could be done by then. After round two, the weather forecast changed to the system coming in about 3p.m. So we decided to run two B-mains and two A-mains of 8 minutes each with no bump ups instead of doing round three qualifying, then mains. We pushed the guys to be ready or we had to go without them as we watched clouds rolling in and heard occasional thunder. Anyone who knows me, knows I'm terrified of lightning so I was calling the races, watching the skies and packing up little stuff, whatever wasn't tied down. It looked like the main system was heading for Williamstown and there was a strange dark cloud floating by. After all the rushing, neither system came near us and we got done and cleaned up before the real system showed up at 5 p.m. We were very lucky to not get blasted by a severe storm. We had high winds for a few minutes and some light rain. Anyway, just want to thank everyone who came out and marshaled in the heat. Sorry we had to push things along but just wanted everyone to get as much racing in as possible. Big shout out to Pat Stagg who was hooked up! About time he had some good luck! He was smiling ear to ear when he left and I'm sure he didn't rub it in to Magic Mike too bad. LOL! He said his lap times were very consistent and that's what I'm always telling people. It doesn't matter how short or long the laps are, being consistent means you have a line! The results are posted on Family Hobbies Raceway on Facebook. Bad luck plagued Bob A. and Juwann. Hopefully they will get those gremlins out! There were three 17 lap runs by Steve, Colin, and Mark and some fast laps in the 20.0 range. Definitely a fast track this year! Thanks to those who helped out in any way! It's always appreciated! Don't forget the next two races are Sundays! Who knows, maybe we can get Tom Lane and Scooby to come out and really show us what Fast is!

Linda
Digit09 likes this.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

Don't forget this week's race is on Sunday! Jamar will be closed so bring food. Hope to see you all there!

Linda
Old 07-26-2019, 05:12 AM
Tech Adept

Good evening everyone! Just an update from your friendly neighborhood raceway!
We will be holding practice again this Friday from 6pm to 10pm. $10 a head for unlimited vehicles!
This was posted on Facebook by Fred Perkins. "We will be working on the track Saturday from 10am till 3pm to get as perfect as possible for the race this Sunday.
This week we will be changing the layout slightly with a new feature in place of the double/double in the center of the track.
What will it be? Who knows! Guess you'll just have to join us Sunday to find out!
We will have some new speakers for everyone to be able to hear the race announcements better and as always we will be laying down the sticky stuff for maximum traction!
The weather is looking to be beautiful for Sunday so please come join us for some awesome racing and Family fun!
See you all track side Sunday! Don't forget Jamar, the grocery store around front of the building, is closed Sundays. So bring food and drinks.

Also this will be the final weekend before our shirt and hat orders go out! Make sure you get your order in Sunday as we will be sending out invoices on Monday!"
Old 07-26-2019, 05:44 AM
Tech Adept

Here are the photos of the trophies in the shop that Ron won. If anyone would like one or more, please contact me. They have to be out of the shop by Wed. July 31st. Keep in mind they are very dusty right now. I still have to clean them up. The majority are made with marble. The trophy guy refused to make cheap ones and the guys appreciated it. Let me know. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2019, 05:54 AM
Tech Adept

Here are a few more.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2gnzkHQXi6el3O
Old 07-26-2019, 06:11 AM
Tech Adept

Here is a list of stuff from Family Hobbies shop that needs homes by July 31st.:

Original show case, lots of history here. This case has all dash plates on the glass from every major race we've ever had. The glass on top needs to be replaced.
The counter between the two show cases. Has lots of storage in the back.
3 pit tables
One large computer table/desk.
shelving
pegboard
pegboard hooks
stools
pit lights
2 file cabinets... one metal; one wood (came with computer table).
radio
T.V.
Table & chairs. Chairs need new upholstery. Table has leaf.
2 hanging racks that held Ron's airplanes made from PVC
gearhead_22 likes this.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:36 AM
Tech Adept

Accomplished a lot yesterday at the shop. I will take photos of what's left as far as fixtures. Thanks to Mike Dare for helping get all the trophies down and putting them on the center fixture so everyone can see where they were won. Several different tracks among them. Really interesting. Mike took several as well as John B. and Dan. I hope everyone at least stops by the shop today to check them out and what objects are still there. There is so much good stuff there. I will be going up to the shop between rounds of racing today so if you're not working on your cars, please stop in. I can also hang out there after racing is done. Everything has to go by Wed. night. Thanks! Hope to see a good turnout today. Fred and his crew worked their butts off yesterday! Looks great! AND there are new speakers!!!!!!!

Linda
Old 08-03-2019, 06:11 AM
Tech Adept

This weekend will be the final days of Family Hobbies shop (not the track). If you are interested in fixtures or anything else that's left, please stop by. I will be at the shop today 10:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. and tomorrow also. Stuff left as of right now is: pegboard, pegboard hooks, counter, showcase- original with all the race plates on it, stools, tables, chairs, and misc.

Thanks everyone!

Linda
Old 08-08-2019, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

See you guys at the friday night challenge!
Old 08-10-2019, 09:26 AM
Tech Adept

https://ronefuneralservice.com/tribu...#tribute-start

Words cannot express how sad I feel. Bobby was one of the first people to say hello when I first went to the track (probably 1983?) to see what it was all about. They needed a score keeper and I helped out that night keeping score on paper with hash marks. The rest is history. He had a colorful way of telling a story, especially about Mustang customers and his hunting expeditions. When I walked out to feed the track cats every day and Bobby was outside at the garage talking with a customer or working on something, he would always wave. Ron worked for him for many years, the two of them butting heads more than once, but Ron never had a bad thing to say about him; maybe about something he did, but not about him. (Ron is probably chuckling right now). Those two were strong personalities butting heads once in awhile, but they always worked it out. They were friends. Bobby called Ron "torque-y", I believe from Ron's quick starts off the line when he was racing. Before the 4 way stop was installed at the corner where the shop is, there was approx. a car accident every week. Bobby was always the first to arrive on the scene to assist in any way. What can I say? He was a kind, good hearted, out going individual and friend and will surely be missed by many. My condolences to Debbie, Dawn, Pati, and their families. Praying for you all.

​​​​​​​Linda
Old 08-11-2019, 07:09 AM
Tech Adept

Yesterday I handed in the keys to Family Hobby Center, as it was called when I began going there in 1983. Many people thought we owned it, but we didn't. There were 3 owners over the years. I have to give credit to Vange Gelsi who I believe was instrumental in the beginning suggesting there should be a hobby shop to go with the track that was built in 1982. That's when Ron converted the laundromat into the shop. When I started going there, Chick, of Chick's hobbies in Gibbstown was the first owner I knew. He tried to run both his and our shops but the long distance made it hard to keep track of. When he pulled out, Vange jumped in to help us. After her husband passed away, and she wanted to get out of the business, our friend and fellow racer Ron Fillman took it over. He already was making his livelihood from his own shop H&R Railroad Supply in Northfield with his partner Harry and specialized in trains and airplanes, but also had plastic models, rockets, etc. Since we were mostly cars because of the track, the union worked well. He sold his shop several years ago and let us keep our shop open to support the racers. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease a few years ago and had to let go of our shop. At the same time, sales were down and we realized the end was near. His wife took over making sure the bills were paid until Nov. 2018, paying rent and utilities to Jimmy Marcacci owner of Jamar, with the money from the customers, the numbers of which were slowly declining The internet hurt us but there was no time left to regroup and possibly sell over the internet. Hobby shops nowadays need to sell a variety of stuff, where as we sold mostly cars and parts, and survival was not in the cards. I feel that the timing was right to let it go. Here's to the many, many customers and friends we met over the years, to those who supported us to the end, and even those who stopped by just to search through boxes to find that one treasure. We learned a lot about each person and every time we saw them, we heard the next chapter in their lives. They were not just customers, they were people, who just wanted something to enjoy in their free time and take them away from the daily grind. I hope we succeeded in that as we tried to leave them smiling when they left. On behalf of Ron Boorman and myself, thank you all for a good, long run and for giving us a fun job as a bonus. The friendships we made now go on through the continuation of the track with dedicated people like Fred Perkins to keep R/C alive in this area. BTW: the bottle of champagne you see in the photo was a gift from a customer many, many years ago. Did I open it? No. I'm saving it for the next chapter. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Linda

savage24x likes this.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

good luck in your next chapter girl

I really miss racing in vineland …...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.