Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic RC Racing
Family Hobbies Raceway Vineland N.J. opening day April 2nd. >

Family Hobbies Raceway Vineland N.J. opening day April 2nd.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree39Likes

Family Hobbies Raceway Vineland N.J. opening day April 2nd.

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-30-2018, 05:00 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Family Hobbies Raceway Vineland N.J. opening day April 2nd.
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Judge Judy
Latest Race Results

Opening day- April 7th and we race(weather permitting)every Sat until the end of October

Registration 10:30- 11:30, racing starts at 12 noon.
You can get here as early as you want to set up, but no one is permitted on
the track until registration starts at 10:30.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I stumbled back into the RC world today and that had me looking up a new track. When I read about a Ron Boorman memorial race made me take a seat. I'm sure him and Andy are bench racing,... So sorry for your loss Linda.
tom73 likes this.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

This is a sad thing ….Linda we love you and always will sorry for your loss
I will do everything in my power to make it April 27 th
Digit09 likes this.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jaybird
This is a sad thing ….Linda we love you and always will sorry for your loss
I will do everything in my power to make it April 27 th
Jay we'd love to have you... even more so if we can mic you up "bump pass!"
Old 03-29-2019, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Who is putting this memorial race together? Please send me a PM whoever it is. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

Here is the flyer for the memorial race on April 27th. Just letting everyone know that while the race will be going on outside, inside the shop we will have food, photos, and Ron's personal stuff from his life history for you to enjoy. I will have someone calling races for me so I can take care of the memorial part. I have a speaker lined up who will say a few words during the first break in racing. All in all, it will be a chance for racers, flyers, friends, and acquaintances to get together and swap stories. Hope to see everyone there!

Thanks,
Linda
Old 04-25-2019, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Getting closer!! Anybody know tire suggestions for 1/8 scale proline tires?
Old 04-26-2019, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

Just letting you know that the tribute for Ron in the shop will still be held tomorrow and Sunday because of the food ordered and prepared. There may not be hoagies left for Sunday but there will be snacks and drinks. So whichever day you can make it for the tribute is fine. I should be in the shop after 10:00 a.m. and through the afternoon. It has not been decided on which day the races will be held due to current weather conditions. That is up to Rich Chambers. He will post something when he knows and I will pass it on here. Thanks everyone!
Old 04-26-2019, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Any official word yet?
Old 04-27-2019, 03:59 AM
Tech Adept

Rich Chambers wrote on FB: At the Family right now & the track looks really good after the storm that came through lastnight.We are rolling & drying up some puddles right now & we are gonna be ready to go at 10am! Hope to see you all here!
Old 04-29-2019, 08:54 AM
Tech Adept

I found a really beautiful piece of jewelry yesterday in the pit area of the track. If anyone is missing one, please let me know and give me a description. Thank you!
Also, just a reminder that even though we are not racing right now, the track is closed. We want to keep the track the best we can in case we are able to race again. Thanks everyone!

Also thanks to everyone who came out Saturday! It was a huge turnout and we had a blast!

Linda
Old 05-12-2019, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

Good afternoon all and Happy Mother’s Day!
As we all mourn the loss of track owner Ron Boorman, the question still remained, what will happen to Family Hobbies Raceway?
Well.....we are proud to announce that the Raceway will continue to be open this year!
Frederick Perkins has stepped up to take over the operation of the Family Hobbies Raceway! He along with some core members of the local crew will continue to operate the race track in Ron's honor.
Linda Vogel will continue to be the race director for as long as she wishes to do so! She will be running the normal program with a few changes that the racers have asked for!
We will however no longer have a hobby shop on site and we will be running a limited schedule for this season to see how things go. We will open up the track @ 9am for electric practice and nitro cars can hit the track @ 10am. There will be 2 to 2 ½ hrs of practice each weekend race day. We will close practice at 11 or 11:30 am depending on the turn out and start racing between 11:30 am and 12pm. We will take a break in between rounds to sweep/blow and water the track as usual but, may break between 1/10 and 1/8 classes for a quick sweep/blow or water of the track.
Track work began yesterday and we will continue to improve on the facility as the weeks go by. We have made a slight change to the track on the back left side. The track has been shortened by about 20 ft only in this lane after the feature jump. This was done to allow us to use the dirt already in the corner for repairs and changes. We will not be changing the overall layout this year but, we will be making tweaks each week to make the track and racing better! You never know where a new "Boorman bump" might appear!
We will be running all 1/10 and 1/8 classes this year. Come next year this may change depending on the mix of classes that show up this season. Any class is welcome to run as long as there are 5 entries in that class. We may combine classes with less than 5 so that all the needed marshal positions are filled.
We will be repairing the handicapped platform to make racing here possible for all! This has not been done as of yet but, is #1 on the priority list to accomplish over the next few weeks. We also want to encourage new racers to come out and join us! There will always be a car on hand for someone who wants to give it a try! Any new racers that come out will be assigned a veteran racer to mentor him or her for the day. Volunteers are preferred to help with this. In order for us to entice new racers to the hobby we MUST make it a welcoming and fun environment.
With that being said there has to be rules. Most of you know them already so we are not going to bore you with a list of them but, we will post them up trackside shortly for all to see. It is our job as a community to teach the new racers and police ourselves when it comes to basic racetrack etiquette.
Now, the first race will be next Saturday May 18th. We are aware that there are other races going and we are doing our best not to interfere with the current racing schedules of other tracks. However there will be some overlap. We will be running opposite Pit Stop Hobbies in Mt Joy Pa. and Zaks Hobbies in Vineland NJ. They are the two closest tracks to us with the same basic race programs. We will not be running the Memorial Day weekend race but, the Eastern States Race is going on as planned. We are currently working on title and associate sponsors now. We will be opening Friday august 30th from 5pm to 9pm for practice and race 1/10 on Saturday with 1/8 on Sunday as done in years past.
Facebook will be the place to get the latest up to date info on race dates, possible practice days (Insert Allen Iverson meme! HAHA), track work days (If you would like to help) and rain outs. If the race is rained out it will be held the following day except for our 2 Friday Heads up challenge races (electric only) and our 3 Sunday Qualifier races. If either of those 5 races rains out they will be canceled. We will be creating all races via the Facebook events calendar. Please add them to your schedule!
In doing some research Fred found that there are actually 2 Facebook pages. 1 created by Facebook and 1 created by Linda. We are doing our best to merge these pages but, this may not be possible because the hobby shop is no longer. Please like and share this page and post to encourage everyone to watch the proper page. The page created by Facebook is what most of you are following so we will tag the other page while we attempt to get this figured out.
Race fees will be as follows:
$25 for the first class
$15 for the second class
$10 for the third class
Please bring cash for all entry fees as we do not accept CC payments at the moment. We are working on a way to accept CC payments in the future.
There is a lot to do and Family Hobbies Raceway is still one of the best facilities on the east coast. It will need support from YOU the racer if it is going to continue and grow. Only YOU the racer can make this happen!
We would like to thank all that made this possible, you know who you are!
We would also like to thank everyone involved with putting on the Ron Boorman Memorial race! This race will now be held annually with all the proceeds going to Linda Vogel.
Thank you all for your support and we look forward to seeing you at the track soon!
Sincerely,
The Family Hobbies Raceway crew
Family Hobbies Raceway
savage24x likes this.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

see ya sat hope
Old 05-17-2019, 04:59 AM
Tech Rookie

There are two Facebook Pages Second one has NJ after it.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:08 AM
Tech Adept

Looking forward to a great day of racing today! Hope to see everyone trackside!

Linda
Old 06-02-2019, 07:59 AM
Tech Adept

Well, it was great to see everyone yesterday for the 1st club race since the memorial race. The turnout was good and the weather was beautiful! I tried to keep with the times and do 'live starts' for electric but it didn't work well for me so I went back to calling names. Seemed to go faster and with less hassle. So I will stick to what works for me on a club level. I still do live starts for Nitro. Good to see new people and returning racers. Didn't recognize Ed Hankin's son Brandon! He did very well, when he had some good luck. LOL. Newbie Rob Smith, one of two short course trucks along with Nick Shaw ended up running with the nitro buggies, the smaller class. Had there been at least three, I could have let them run in their own class. The biggest issue is marshaling afterwards when you have to find volunteers. They all ran very well together though. Rob had some fancy moves when he got in trouble and backed out of the way of traffic. I shuddered a few times but he managed not to get hit most of the time. LOL. I know we're not supposed to use reverse, but in this case I had to let him do his thing. Hopefully he will be back. Nick Shaw did well, and I know 13 laps was possible, but when you're mixed into another group it is hard to concentrate and not get in the way. He's looking into a 1/10th buggy. Hope he gets one soon. I think he would do well with one. Missed Jared due to work but hope to see him back again. Jared is one of the cleanest drivers I know. He graduates high school in a couple weeks and we'll see what his plans are. Carl did very well and is always one of my favorites to watch. He's always there in the end. We didn't know what to expect as far as classes. It seems like 1/8th E-buggy and 1/10th 4wd. buggies are still the two largest classes. Nitro buggy was fun to watch and everyone did a great job. Rich Chambers had some issues with his car and didn't get to run the main, but he is a good flag guy. It brought back memories as the pit stops went on. Now the pit people wear headphones! What happened to good old fashioned yelling? Haha. My highlight overall was seeing Chris and Amber Powell and their two kids Caleb and Josh who drove two hours to race here again after moving way across the country years ago to Oregon. It was fun catching up and swapping stories! Chris did very well and picked up where he left off. Now that they are back in the east, they will be back soon. Also great to see my good friend Faith. Her humor and insight help me so much! This week's tip is about transponders.... when you're not racing, check the number and photo it or jot it down to keep it updated and next time you race, write it on your sign up sheet. I always check those that are written down to be sure my data base is updated. There were a lot of transponder issues the first round and takes time to figure out who is who, especially when it comes up 'unknown' for the (old) race director among several others of different names of previous owners or users. Meanwhile everyone else is waiting to get started. So let's do our homework, no matter where you race. Tom Petrella was back and always fun to have around. He's a very competitive racer and always there in the top of the field in the end. Gotta mention the team of Pat, Mike and Harry (no particular order, I can hear you now). You guys have been practicing somewhere! You all did great! Harry always looks so serious when he walks in front of my table. I guess he's concentrating so hard or just plain scared. Thanks to Paul for jumping in to help whenever needed, and Caruso who always makes me laugh. Honorable mention to Bob I. who was back and did quite well. I heard he'll be returning with some new equipment to spank some competition! Be afraid... be very afraid! His marshaling skills were still up to par! Kimley's were there as well as Greg Harmer and Juwan Hunter, along with Jason and his son David. Haven't seen them since indoor racing. Good also to have Brian Burton back again. He always seems so calm. And who knew Bob A. would be back! It's been quite awhile. He always brings fun with him! It was good to see Sean O'Keefe, the one guy I know who can race every class and be ready in time! A really good racer! Also thanks to Steve Warrington, Nick Wink, and Jim Lillie for coming out. All fun, great people and good to have here. Can not thank Fred enough for taking over the track and keeping Ron's legacy alive. Looking forward to a great season! Thanks to everyone who came out yesterday and to those who volunteer to marshal or help out. Without you all, there is no track. We're always open to suggestions on how to improve the race day. All righty!

Linda
gearhead_22 likes this.

Last edited by Judge Judy; 06-05-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.