Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

THE TRACK RACEWAY

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

*facepalm* I keep forgetting to ask. Too much fun racing... A lot of wrenching...

Out of town this week.

Check in on Facebook - "The Track in Gaithersburg, Maryland" - that's Mimi Wong, owner; or "Racers of 'The Track' in Gaithersburg,MD" - that's us.

If I was betting, I would say yes. Mimi stays open almost 365
Old 12-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxnickj
Any word on this yet??
THE TRACK is closed @ New Year
Old 12-22-2016, 07:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SMcD
^^Oh, right and the spec class. I think you can run truck in that. The motor you pick at the track on race day and hand back in at the end of the day.
Hello..very new to hobby so excuse this questions. I'm looking to get into the race scene locally and do intend to visit the track but have a few questions in the meantime.

I understand the new spec class but am wondering about how it works when given the motor. Are people soldering the handed out motor or is there a standard connection that the racers need to be prepared for in order to use the motor?

Also, when is open practice? Is it basically any other time other than racing? And how does it work? First come, first served or is there some specific way this is done? And when practicing, is it open driving or is it simulated racing and timed?

thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Spec class doesn't have a "huge" following at the moment, but there are a few. For club racing, you just have to have the specific turn motor, and esc usually in "blinky" mode.

Open practice is open whenever the store is open. Just ask Mimi to cut the lights on, and she will gladly accommodate.

Also, there are a great group of people that regular the track, so please don't hesitate to ask any questions! You know, the whole "no question is a..." saying.

Welcome to the ADDICTION!
Old 12-22-2016, 09:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by WonTonsChicken
Spec class doesn't have a "huge" following at the moment, but there are a few. For club racing, you just have to have the specific turn motor, and esc usually in "blinky" mode.

Open practice is open whenever the store is open. Just ask Mimi to cut the lights on, and she will gladly accommodate.

Also, there are a great group of people that regular the track, so please don't hesitate to ask any questions! You know, the whole "no question is a..." saying.

Welcome to the ADDICTION!
Thank you and it is an addiction for sure. I was actually in the hobby as a kid in the 80s and just came back a few months ago...

So..I'm building an RC10 Worlds re-re and hope to use it for learning. I am under no illusions I'll be fast. I just want to stay on the track, be upright and get out of everyone's way...

That said, I do plan on starting out w/ stock 17.5T so I can learn about tuning the car rather than worrying about electronics (so much to learn). I'm okay doing this even though I've heard that stock is the most competive (and expensive) class now. That's okay to me. Haven't bought the ESC/Motor yet but slowing narrowing things down while I stock up on parts...

I understand that mid-motor is the thing now but will my rear motor be a huge disadvantage? I talked to some people at LHS and they gave me encouragement and said that ultimately it comes down to driving skill. Work on that first and the fastest guys will always be the fastest guys no matter what car they have...Will the usual soft compound electrons or dirt webs work fine for me? Any thing else anyone would recommend initially like ways to move my center of gravity more like a mid-motor? I wasn't planning on doing too many upgrades initially because I'd be doing this just for bling and w/o fully understanding why.

Thoughts welcome. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2016, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Haha, you'll be pleasantly surprised how quick you will be with the mindset of just staying consistent.

I would say for The Track, you want Supersoft compound. And, both of those tires will work great. You may also want to entertain the new Positrons by ProLine. They are supposed to work very well also.

Your center of gravity will usually stay towards the rear (unless you add weight up front) on your car. But, I will defer to others whom have driven longer, and have more experience.

Only upgrades I would suggest would be the ones to add durability. But, that my own opinion.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by WonTonsChicken
Haha, you'll be pleasantly surprised how quick you will be with the mindset of just staying consistent.

I would say for The Track, you want Supersoft compound. And, both of those tires will work great. You may also want to entertain the new Positrons by ProLine. They are supposed to work very well also.

Your center of gravity will usually stay towards the rear (unless you add weight up front) on your car. But, I will defer to others whom have driven longer, and have more experience.

Only upgrades I would suggest would be the ones to add durability. But, that my own opinion.
Thanks very much! Hoping to visit in the next few weeks.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: 17.5 Spec class

For the spec class, you will attach the motor to the speed control via 4mm connectors. The motor already has the male leads attached. The spec class also has a spec tire, available for purchase at The Track (really cheap). When you pay your race entry, you will be handed the pre-wired motor, and you plug it in and bolt it up. The motor is returned at the end of the day.

For tires, you want supersoft compounds. Grip is coming up, and people are migrating to slicks for racing purposes. SS Electrons are the fast treaded tire.

Spec class is only raced on Saturdays. Club racing is on Wednesday nights, and buggy class is run what you brung
Old 12-23-2016, 09:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SMcD
For the spec class, you will attach the motor to the speed control via 4mm connectors. The motor already has the male leads attached. The spec class also has a spec tire, available for purchase at The Track (really cheap). When you pay your race entry, you will be handed the pre-wired motor, and you plug it in and bolt it up. The motor is returned at the end of the day.

For tires, you want supersoft compounds. Grip is coming up, and people are migrating to slicks for racing purposes. SS Electrons are the fast treaded tire.

Spec class is only raced on Saturdays. Club racing is on Wednesday nights, and buggy class is run what you brung
Thank you for the explanation!

So..If I will be running my own 17.5T in blinky mode on my 2WD, what classes will I be able to run? Is there a sportsman class for beginners? I've seen some of the videos from the track and the skill level looks pretty intimidating...Just want to get feet wet.

Last edited by howaboutme; 12-23-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

There is a sportsman class, but I think it is mostly for younger ones. There is a race coming up in a couple of weeks (Jan 7) you should try to show up. I am taking the 6th off to go to the track and practice.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

new years eve saturday is closed?
Old 12-31-2016, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BiLL77
new years eve saturday is closed?
Open 10-4. Racing at 12
Old 12-31-2016, 06:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is Monday 1/2 regular hours? Any racing or just practice?
Old 01-03-2017, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is there still racing on Wednesday nights? Thinking of doing some racing on the 11th.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, Wednesday nights good crowd of 2wd and 4wd mod buggies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.