Like Tree2Likes

THE TRACK RACEWAY

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs
Since no one else will call out the elephant in the room, here goes:

1/8 buggies and truggies put a huge amount of wear and tear on the track, in a very short time. They are at least 2lbs heavier than a 4wd sct, and 2x the weight of a 1/10 buggy, plus they have at least 3x the power of any 1/10. Since the turnout for 1/10 racing is about 4x that of 1/8, it is very important to preserve the track for saturday's racing. If 1/8 scales practice on thursday and friday, Gabriel will have to spend another 4 hours fixing the track friday night.

If we want to have a world class surface for the 1/10 race on saturday, we can't have 1/8 running on the track for 2 straight days.

Since racing is now starting at 7am on sunday, there will be plenty of practice sunday morning. Think of the race fee as helping to pay gabriel for fixing the track sunday night.

For those that still aren't happy, you can always get a 1/10 scale.

Bill no offense but Gabe and others asked for off-road (dirt) and you got it and many of us are excited for it; however it's the price you pay when you have dirt. It's called maintenance and it will require more of everyones time to help maintain the track.

Last edited by munrath; 10-11-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Default New track

We aim and try to please most of the racers.
We just open this track. I like to have all classes racing, sedan, buggy, truck etc., But......

Let me see, who cares right?

1. A few times we had let 1/8 practice on the track. We will spend 4-5 after closing repairing, plus 2 hours before open the next day. These people are the pro/expert, know how to repair these damages, not anyone (any cheap labor) can do this.

2. Who would like to marshall for these 1/8? We have a difficult time asking anyone to marshall these cars.

3. We are willing to open early on Sunday for 1/8 scale, so you will have plenty of time to practice. How early you like to show up at The Track Paul?

Thank you for all your supports!
MiMi/ The Track
Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can we train more people (who are regulars at the track) to learn how to repair and maintain the track? I don't want to start anything, but it just seems like it is a necessity now. Do we need more of those special bristle mops at the track? Can it be bought at Home Depot? I'm willing to pitch in and help if someone shows me what needs to be done.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

+1 on harrys comment

I wonder if we could use any form of light equipment that could make track maintenance less time consuming. I remember when I used to play tennis on clay courts they used to use a vibrating compactor/roller to fix any pits on the court; the thing was a lot lighter and smaller compared to the heavier stone rollers and was very effective.

Maybe a fund raising race to buy equipment can be held to get the money!
or maybe im out of my mind to think this so call me crazy
Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

How to fix Pitts or potholes. Take clay wet area and compact it in. Homedepot has a stamper that has a handle like a shovel with a heavy flat bottom. Works awesome for quick repairs.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Here's a pic
Attached Thumbnails THE TRACK RACEWAY-image.jpg  
Old 10-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I run 1/8 all summer long so I'm
Not just being bias here but if it were my track there wouldn't be 1/8 scales on it. Let's be honest. They tear up the pipes, they create holes and mess the surface up. It's more then just sticking dirt in the hole to fix it. Honestly the track is kinda small in places to be running 1/8 anyway. Just my 2 pennies. If people insist on running 1/8 just run it at bigger events or something. Correct me if I'm wrong here someone with track experience but, won't all these "patched" holes an pits eventually overtime causebthe track surface to be inconsistent? Right now the surface is awesome and grooves up nicely. Hate to see that ruined

Also. Saturday the track was slick in the am after it had been watered. It grooved up after it was swept and cars on it for awhile. Maybe the track can only be watered in te edges and the groove only swept so the traction keeps coming up and does not get washed out by the water?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

we have two of the stampers....
Old 10-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default Racers...

Racers want what they want when they want it, and if they don't get it, they go berserk and/or leave.

Now, I agree that what was advertised should be served. BUT

I don't get it... 1/8 scale used to be the class to run (reserved for) outside in the summer months. Now, we must run it indoors - on 1/10 scale tracks? Motorama: separate tracks 1/10 and 1/8 scale (and folks were complaining that 4x4 SCT had to run on the 1/8 scale side). Why? - because they blew out the track surface. jeeze... I don't know Scotty Ernst, but I bet he knows a thing or two.

The Track is trying to preserve/protect/manage a world-class dirt racing surface. What's wrong w/ that? When the old carpet came up and the asphalt went down, the asphalt was not "world-class" enough and everyone rolled out. Only the "idiots" stayed and ran asphalt/carpet jump off-road surface (T. West, I'm not classifying you as an idiot). And look what we have now - a world-class indoor dirt track. Who could ask for more?

The Track is just trying to preserve/protect/manage it. The Track is learning as we go. What we have seen so far is that the ebuggy and etruggy are hard (to say the least) on the surface.

Now, what does the racer want? A world-class 1/10 scale track, or a blown out and under maintained 1/10 1/8 scale track? I vote for the former.

Last edited by SMcD; 10-11-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by function>form
I run 1/8 all summer long so I'm
Not just being bias here but if it were my track there wouldn't be 1/8 scales on it. Let's be honest. They tear up the pipes, they create holes and mess the surface up. It's more then just sticking dirt in the hole to fix it. Honestly the track is kinda small in places to be running 1/8 anyway. Just my 2 pennies. If people insist on running 1/8 just run it at bigger events or something. Correct me if I'm wrong here someone with track experience but, won't all these "patched" holes an pits eventually overtime causebthe track surface to be inconsistent? Right now the surface is awesome and grooves up nicely. Hate to see that ruined
Well said Josh. I agree
Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

...isn't a 4wd buggy just a smaller 1/8? And OFNA does make a 1/10th truggy....

Don't get me wrong...I love my 1/8th scale, but I also love to open it up! With that being said, I will run what/when I can

~Ron
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is just my two cents here, so please don't take anything I say as a jab.

If 1/8 scale is indeed too hard on the track, but people enjoy 4WD buggies, why not just get a 1/10 4WD buggy? It's a little cheaper, and probably the same amount of fun.

As far as Truggies, what about stadium trucks?

And as far as track maintenance, I figure if more people help Carlton and Gabe out, it wouldn't be too much of a pain. But I can also see where Gabe and Carlton are coming from, in terms of paying attention to detail and doing things thoroughly and properly. If you just slap some dirt on a patch, then water, then stamp, and water some more, you're going to get some high and low spots everywhere, making it that much harder to drive around on the track.

Again, what Mimi and Gabe have provided us is a privilege in my honest opinion. I'd like to help out where I can and make sure we keep the track. Arguing back and forth is not going to get anything done. Let's just help out where we can and maintain this awesome track.

I know on real race tracks like Summit or VIR, if help is needed, people step up and help out any way they can, even risk getting yelled at by their SO/GF/Wives. I see a lot of people that want to stay and help out at The Track as well. I think maybe we should have a session about track maintenance and upkeep so in case Gabe or Carlton are out, someone else can step in and keep things in tip-top shape.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Tech Addict

Default vids

Let's all take a break and watch these videos from last night! I wasn't able to get 4WD Buggy main because my phone fell off the mount during the race. The beginning of 2WD SCT main is blurry for a minute or so, then the lens comes into focus. There are a few parts of the track on the far side that are obscured by elevation.

I will probably shoot from this location for Saturday's race.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

Last edited by pastaman; 10-11-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Welcome to off-road. It's a learning curve as many are finding out. All the racers want is for things to be consistent and fair. If the decision is to stay 10th scale only; then that's kewl. Either way for the track to be right all of the time its going to take daily efforts to maintain regardless of what's run. It seems like the entire team is working through everything and putting in a lot of time and effort.

See ya soon.

Last edited by munrath; 10-11-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mimi Wong

3. We are willing to open early on Sunday for 1/8 scale, so you will have plenty of time to practice. How early you like to show up at The Track Paul?

Thank you for all your supports!
MiMi/ The Track
How about 4:30 am MIMI?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.