R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales

Like Tree6Likes

Old 09-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #16
Tech Adept

I had a 1/18 Ruckus and it was not much fun to drive on anything other than roads(dirt, gravel, asphalt ect) and forget about grass don't even try it with a 1/18.

From what I have seen the 1/14 Tacon Valor is similar in size to the Merv, so I do not see it being too bad off road. I ran my Merv in the grass all the time.

Here is a picture of the Merv next to a Losi Mini 8ight T, the Lc Racing Truggy is the same size as the Mini 8ight T. Just for reference.

JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #17
Tech Adept

They're fine off road. Obviously you're not going to run them where there's huge dirt clods and rocks. I think minis are intended to be neighborhood bashers. They have enough ground clearance and suspension travel to do that well. The ones that run larger 1/10 bugg tires/80-90mm tires are even better at it. The 1/14 truggies and MTs have those larger tires, that's why I recommended the Tacon Valor/LC Racing EMB-TGH.
noel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Quote:
Even 1/14 are not great off road. A groomed track is different. But they are not good for real world off-road. A 1/14 truggy is better than a buggy or SCT, but still not ideal.
For "Around the yard" bashing, and small playgrounds, I really like the 1/16 scale. And I have 10's and 8's to choose from too. Will they handle really rough stuff? Construction lots? No, but I don't need them to.

For yard bashing, I find that about 20mph is the best speed you can use - any thing faster than that is wasted (too small a space) and the big cars (10SCT's and 8's) either outrun the space, or you end up driving them so far below their abilities, they are not fun. 1/16 and 1/18 scale cars fit this perfect.

To the OP, I have several, but can't really recommend any. My current two favorite are my Hobbyking Mini-Trooper (heavily modified, truggified) and the Hobbyking Mini-Monster Truck. The MMT, I have only had a few months, so far the jury is still out on it's reliability, but it is showing signs of eating spurs... As for my SCT-turned Truggy, it took me over a year and way too much money, and a few custom solutions to finally make it mostly reliable.

I a Remo 1/16 SCT "Rocket", and while it is durable, it handles like crap.

I have a HBX 1/12 Truggy (2wd) that I really like, but it is close to toy grade, brushed power. And with 2wd, grass is not good. But it is tough, runs about 15mph-18mph, and my kids can't break it.

If I were to buy a new mini, I would look at either the 1/14 Tacon cars, or the Losi Mini-8 DB.
JerryRigged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM   #19
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default Question

The real question is "how much do you have to spend?". From toy grade Tyco 9.6 Bandits to hobby grade Losi 1/14 DB, I would most likely recommend a used unit from your local Craigslist. Although they post higher then what the local hobby shop sales them for you can lowball them for 1/2 to 1/3 their asking price. They only put that price up like that so they can barter for something different usually to their advantage when it comes to "monetary value".

If you could, I'd recommend the Losi vehicles just because of ease of use, fixing and parts support. I just recently got the Losi DB and I love it. Put on some cheap Tamiya mini-cooper tires or sedan tires, a mini body and you can parking lot all day long because the small size brushless can last a lot longer if you buy the batteries from HobbyKing or Value.

Sponsor by Makita Li-Ion Brushless Power Tools. Eat the power!

Selling something but no pictures, goodbye.
SuperFastSnail is offline   Reply With Quote