Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree29Likes

New: Losi Mini 8ight Desert Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Totallyosho
You'd think a desert buggy would be able to withstand sand and dust... Got my 12t pinion too, the pinion and gear area was covered in fust and small debris, despite 4 pieces of foam making the carter supposedly better at handling crap.
So far the only good thing I have to say about the DB is tha handling, that thing drives well out of the box.
Anyway, doesn't matter as I plan on transforming it into an on-road basher, but disappointed nonetheless.

Ok so I removed the foam inserts (they came unglued by themselves just like the ESC) and replaced them with highly compressible foam strips for windows and doors and guess what, no more dust under the pinion/ super gear cover.

This thing needs heatsink + fan on the ESC and probably motor for running 3S though, after just a half battery the whole chassis was too hot to handle.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok so I removed the foam inserts (they came unglued by themselves just like the ESC) and replaced them with highly compressible foam strips for windows and doors and guess what, no more dust under the pinion/ super gear cover.

This thing needs heatsink + fan on the ESC and probably motor for running 3S though, after just a half battery the whole chassis was too hot to handle.
Mine gets really hot too! Thinking about installing some sort of fan.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Do you guys have temp guns to give exact readings?
Old 08-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

What's getting hot, the esc or motor or both? If the chassis is hot then the motor is causing that.
I agree with noel02, you need to get a temp gun. They aren't expensive and it really helps you to monitor your vehicle.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

My LHS had a white one in stock so I picked it up.
[IMG][/IMG]

The only issue I've seen so far is the front tires had a dramatic tow out. There's a turnbuckle wrench in the package.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-11-2017, 09:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by noel02
Do you guys have temp guns to give exact readings?
I just ordered a temp gun. I want to gear up on 3s but it already feels hot to the touch. I want to go back to the stock 14t to get a little more speed.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

It's likely that we're going to have to cut out part of the cockpit area above the motor so it can breathe better.
I like how closed up and tight the body is but it's probably restricting airflow.

I also noticed that my normal esc replacement, Hobbywing 60a, is not going to fit without cutting that cockpit. I may have to find a replacement with a smaller foot print.

It's been raining here everyday so I haven't had a chance to run mine in the dirt yet.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

I tried to adjust the toe using the included turnbuckle wrench but the ball cups just pop right off! I love this thing but there are definitely some quality issues.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evetsyelspih
I tried to adjust the toe using the included turnbuckle wrench but the ball cups just pop right off! I love this thing but there are definitely some quality issues.
That has been the unfortunate truth throughout the Mini lineup. They always need something lol. But I still loved mine while I had it. Quirks and all.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

I put my thumb down on the ball cup as I adjusted the turnbuckles so they wouldn't get too stressed. I believe rpm makes some ball cup replacements if they get too loose on you.

The sun finally came out so here's the first run.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

New member here and very much enjoying the DB as my reintroction to RC after nearly 20 years. This thing is awesome!

I haven't had any real issues pop up yet, but am considering a couple of upgrades to the electronics, namely the transmitter/receiver and servo. The Spektrum radio while adequate, doesn't feel particularly responsive to throttle or steering input. I've played around the throttle and steering rate but it just doesn't seem to control the car as well as I'd hoped. Some slight adjustments to the toe links improved matters as far as straight line tracking and cornering.

I'm looking at the Hitec or Savox mini servo's and likely a mid range radio system from Futaba or Sanwa like the PRK3a and MX-V. Not gonna be doing any racing, just general bash type of stuff but I'd like to find something bulletproof with good range and zero glitches which I've noticed a few of with the stock setup.

Any thoughts on what would work as far as servos go without having to do any hacking to the chassis would be appreciated. Same for radio systems.

Last edited by racknpinion; 08-12-2017 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-12-2017, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

The Hitec 225mg is a direct fit on the M8 buggy. I think this one is the same dimensions. You can try poking the antenna outside of the body to get better range.
racknpinion likes this.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Backyard RC
The Hitec 225mg is a direct fit on the M8 buggy.
I think that's the one I'd heard will work along with the 5245mg. Wondering if that one is worth the extra $15.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks! I'll check that one out.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

I'd like to see some pictures of what you used and how it worked for you, if you don't mind. I can hear dirt in my spur gear after the first run. I already ordered steel gears so I'm not stressing it but I would like to try your fix.

Thanks.

I took my M8DB on a hike. Here's some footage of it.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
racknpinion likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.