Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree29Likes

New: Losi Mini 8ight Desert Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, these dogbones are really soft metal. I checked the LC Racing/Tacon dogbones and they're too short to use.

It's unfortunate that Losi can come so close to making a really good quality RC car but not quite get there because of cost saving decisions. How much more could it possibly be to make the dogbones out of a stronger steel alloy? Obviously they don't understand the value of an entry level vehicle. Entry level means this is the first impression someone is going to have with RC hobbies. That's the time to put out your best product. If you do the people that buy it will be more likely to be comfortable paying $400 to $700 on the bigger vehicles. If you cut corners and put out a product that's less than it could be then you'll leave a bad impression on people that are just testing the waters and chase them away from the hobby all together.

It doesn't take much to make these mini RC's pretty indestructible. Weight and gravity are on your side. Those of you who stick with your M8DB will see that with a few upgrades this platform is dependable.

If there's an aftermarket company that makes CVD's or any other upgrade that should have already been on the vehicle then I recommend giving them the money over paying Losi.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racknpinion
Count me amongst those that have experienced bad shocks, a lousy transmitter and receiver and now a failed ESC. Went to run the car after about a week of non use and I had steering but no throttle. Traced it to the ESC and Horizon is sending out a replacement.

Looking at other options though and the Trackstar 60a was brought to my atterntion by a member of the Mini 8ight FB group. So I think it’s either that, or the Hobbywing EZrun 60 if I wanna keep it in the stock location, which I do.

Full props to Horizon for excellent customer service, but man... the stock electronics are really awful.
Hey bro that was me on the FB group. I will post pictures there tonight of the fitment and new motor for it.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by carcrazy699
Hey bro that was me on the FB group. I will post pictures there tonight of the fitment and new motor for it.
Hey dude! Yeah, no worries. Whenever you get it all mounted up I’d love to see it.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:08 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Backyard RC
If you cut corners and put out a product that's less than it could be then you'll leave a bad impression on people that are just testing the waters and chase them away from the hobby all together.
Yeah, it was my first Losi (not my first RC) and I'm never ever again going near them. This thing is an expensive joke, and so is Losi's customer service.
It's going for sale as soon as I can get new better dogbones.

Haven't managed to fix the shocks even with grease on the o-rings, it still handles like shit.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

If you're still interested in mini RC's then take a look at the Tacon/LC Racing brushless line-up. They're not perfect either but they're closer than the M8DB.

I threw some cones down behind a baseball diamond. The dirt was hard and rocky. I ran both the M8DB and the Tacon Thriller around the cones. The Thriller was running 3s and the M8DB was running 2s. The biggest noticeable difference I saw was the suspension.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Ground level shots.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Backyard RC; 10-08-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:09 PM
Tech Regular

Another development in the ongoing parts failure saga.

First the runaway throttle issue with 2 STX transmitter and 3 receivers. Then an upgrade to the DX2E and now a burnt servo and possibly a 2nd failed ESC.

Went to calibrate the endpoints of the ESC and the new DX2 and after numerous attempts, I cannot get the throttle programmed correctly. I go to set the throttle and then hit the set button on the ESC and I get no beeps. No confirmation of any kind until I push the throttle forward to set the breaks, then I get the double beep. This of course sets my throttle in the opposite direction and using the throttle reverse doesn’t help or seem an adequate solution. Right now I’ve got runaway throttle when pushing the trigger forward and no break. Just goes balls out until I switch it off. The ESC is also just blinking green upon power up and won’t go solid green even after trying to reset the battery for Li-Po mode.

I’m at my wits end with this thing. Horizon has been very helpful but I’m starting to get annoyed with all these issues. I don’t feel like I should have to replace everything in the car to get things to work they way they should.

I think I’m signing off on this thing.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

Good news everyone: the "Hot-Racing SOFE288 Steel CVD Drive Shaft Mini 8ight" work on the DB, so when you destroy the stock dogbones after just 2-3 packs, you can get these, they are beefier.

I also have the runaway throttle issue, just hit a bush at full speed because of it, but seeing as the local Losi office sucks really bad for warranties, I'll be getting a cheap hobbyking RX/TX instead. Just like for the motor and ESC.

Edit: how is the servo for yall? Should I buy one in advance?
Old 10-21-2017, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Another one bites the dust.

I'm not sure what the issue is with the transmitters/receivers. Maybe changing just the receiver will help.

Hitec 225mg is a good replacement servo.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:13 AM
Tech Initiate

I had the same problems with mine as others. Esc/Radio going crazy sometimes, horrible shocks and bearings going bad after one dirt run. I couldn’t have sold mine fast enough. I loved my first gen Mini 8ight and they’ve gotten progressively worse with each release.

I’m out on the Losi minis now.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Tech Adept

Ok so the shocks being sticky: it's the inferior part (the one with the o-rings) that is tightened waaaaaay too hard. This somehow makes it too tight. loosening this part a bit helps a lot. You can hold the shock by the thin collar under the cap with a key (it's a bit less than 14mm)

Speaking of not exactly 14mm: Hey Losi are you listening? fuck you and your non metric hardware.

While cleaning the bearings I noticed one of the wheel hex hubs had fused with the pin. Another losi quality piece of kit. The pins are smaller than most cars, and they dig into the crap plastic of the hex. Unbelievable. Now I need to fix this too before selling it.

Last edited by Totallyosho; 10-23-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Backyard RC
Another one bites the dust.

I'm not sure what the issue is with the transmitters/receivers. Maybe changing just the receiver will help.

Hitec 225mg is a good replacement servo.
Waiting on a cheap hobbyking TX/RX, not taking chances with anything Losi/Horizon/Spektrum.
Bringing the stock set for warranty this week at my LHS if possible.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I burned out the stock steering servo a few weeks ago. I took it as an opportunity to also replace the stock ESC since I was getting really annoyed with the throttle surges. Put in a Hitec servo and got 2 runs in with the new Hobbywing ESC before the new, Hitec receiver burned out. Flashback to the misery that was my Yeti Jr. and its electronic woes. I'm going to need to check the steering rack for any binding which is apparently (?!) putting a strain on the steering servo. I had assumed the DB was going to have the same kinds of issues that the Mini 8ight-T I owned a few years ago had. I never imagined it was going to be worst. At the moment, I regret purchasing this thing.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

I haven't had the bad experiences that some of you are having but I understand the frustration. Losi clearly cut corners on this vehicle and it's going to leave people with a bad impression of the company. Well done Boneheads!

On the servo replacement issue, if the ends points aren't set correctly it can burn out a servo motor. You want the servo to stop turning right at or before the end of the steering angle. If the steering stops but the servo is still trying to turn it further you'll have some issues.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:15 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Colbynobo
I took it as an opportunity to also replace the stock ESC since I was getting really annoyed with the throttle surges.
I still have the surges with a new ESC (non Losi one), it's possibly the RX, maybe the TX, or, who knows, interference from a hitty servo?

Save for the servo I'll have replaced all the electronics by the end of the week, I'll let you guys know if it still keeps running when the throttle is in neutral.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Now that I think about it, one of the recent successful runs I made was when I briefly dropped in a Traxxas receiver, ESC and transmitter that I had laying around. I never considered the possibility that the stock Spektrum system may be the source of my problems. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll install the new servo I purchased last week and reinstall the Traxxas controls. I had just mounted some Helion Animus TR wheels and wanted to see how they work.

Originally Posted by Totallyosho
I still have the surges with a new ESC (non Losi one), it's possibly the RX, maybe the TX, or, who knows, interference from a hitty servo?

Save for the servo I'll have replaced all the electronics by the end of the week, I'll let you guys know if it still keeps running when the throttle is in neutral.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.