Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By olds45512
  • 1 Post By Geeves

15 x 30 ft track. Buggy recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 15 x 30 ft track. Buggy recommendations

Hey guys I'm setting up at 15 x 30' dirt track in place of my garden this year and was looking for recommendations on a mini/micro 4x4 buggy. Not sure what scale would work for a track that size.
Thanks in advance
Dan
Old 03-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm an AE guy but if I were setting up a track that size I'd go with the losi mini 8ight, a few guys have had them at the track and the seem pretty well built and seem to handle fairly well right out of the box. My other recommendation would be a mini Revo, I had one and it was a blast and was very durable.
Dvan likes this.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Dan,

Seriously look into the LC EMB. Its a good rig for tight tracks. Ive seen many people in the last year ditching all their minis and getting these. They are tough to beat for the price.

Dvan likes this.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Well tried the mini 8ight on the track and it's a little to big. Does anybody have any recommendations for something 1/24 4wd ?
Old 03-28-2017, 03:52 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Mini8 too much for that small an area. For 1/18 I'd suggest looking at the Dromida vehicles. I don't think any vehicle lineup had suprised me more. Buggy, monster truck, SC, Desert truck. I will say have very limited time with them off road.
1/24. I've really like the Carisma GT24b buggy. Though that small off road could be issue. Not much ground clearance. Work very good on pavement
Old 03-28-2017, 09:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Mini8 too much for that small an area. For 1/18 I'd suggest looking at the Dromida vehicles. I don't think any vehicle lineup had suprised me more. Buggy, monster truck, SC, Desert truck. I will say have very limited time with them off road.
1/24. I've really like the Carisma GT24b buggy. Though that small off road could be issue. Not much ground clearance. Work very good on pavement
Thanks Billy Kelly
I've watched a ton of your gt24b videos and I love that buggy. So if I can get this track smooth the gt24b would be what you go with over the dromida?
Thanks a lot for your help I really appreciate it.!
Old 03-29-2017, 05:24 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Dvan
Thanks Billy Kelly
I've watched a ton of your gt24b videos and I love that buggy. So if I can get this track smooth the gt24b would be what you go with over the dromida?
Thanks a lot for your help I really appreciate it.!
Thanks.
I've got 4 each. So I'm not good at choosing. I'd love to see what the GT24 could do. I've watched the 2 wheel drive buggys race using slicks on dirt, surface like that I see no reason the GT24 couldn't. While I run only pavement, it's not all perfectly smooth. It's got bumps and dips.
They are becoming more avaliable in States now. Amazon carries them. And some parts seem to also be avaliable in States now.

Just found this video. Not mine.

https://youtu.be/cJ84rXA6yKM
Old 03-29-2017, 06:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Yes sir I've seen that video and it's what got me thinking about this gt24 for a smooth dirt track.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:17 AM
Tech Prophet

Yes sir I've seen that video and it's what got me thinking about this gt24 for a smooth dirt track.
Thought you might have. Got me thinking again. I've got about same size area, little narrower.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Thought you might have. Got me thinking again. I've got about same size area, little narrower.
Ok I've decided on the gt24b. I've been rolling out my track and I think I can get it pretty dang smooth.ill need some battery packs do you have any recommendations?
Old 03-29-2017, 03:36 PM
Tech Prophet

Ok I've decided on the gt24b. I've been rolling out my track and I think I can get it pretty dang smooth.ill need some battery packs do you have any recommendations?
I've been using the Carisma 1s and 2s. I haven't tried them but a know couple owners that used Turnigy nano tech 2s. It's a tight fit for 2s. I'll see if I can find listing for them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322448202637
Old 06-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

I know this thread is a few months old but I still wanted to leave my thoughts to help guide anyone looking for a mini/micro.

For that size, I'd go with a GT24 like billy said. I own one and it's awesome with the right amount of space. Only upgrades I would recommend are a 2s LiPo.

A few people recommended the LC rigs. I'd stay away. I own the truggy and it's nothing but problems. Every other run I strip a ring or a pinion gear, only running on 2s. The shock towers constantly bend and the wing mounts rip out. The stock ESC also gets very hot. I do jump it pretty high though. Still, the LC racing Truggy was the most obnoxious vehicle I owned. It was awesome when it worked, but most of the time it didn't.

For racing a mini, try a Losi and just get the recommended upgrades. For bashing a mini, get a savage xs for backflips and jumps or vaterra kalahari for general neighborhood/park running. For a micro, like I said, you can't go wrong with Carisma's line up of 1/24th. Losi's micros are great too, better quality but a heftier price tag.

Last edited by noel02; 06-12-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What material are you all using for your dirt tracks for these mini/micros? We used a couple bags of topsoil, which works great when it’s wet, but after a couple of days of the baking in the sun, it turns into a nasty surface. Maybe we just need to set up a sprinkler and keep it wet?