Wiki Posts
Search

New 1/24 Scale ECX Ruckus and Torment

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default New 1/24 Scale ECX Ruckus and Torment

What are everybody's thoughts on these? They are going to come out in the next two weeks or so. I have a group of friends that are getting these to race in peoples houses and garages. A few Aluminum upgrades have been released so far but I am hoping to find out that the dynamite kit that comes with the Brushless Losi's will fit. Not brushless but a hell of a lot cheaper that the Losi

http://www.ecxrc.com/Search/Default....hTerm=ruck24mt

http://www.ecxrc.com/Search/Default....hTerm=tor24sct

http://www.horizonhobby.com/SearchDi...ce=Q&pageView=
Old 10-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (98%+)
Default LOSI 1/24

DO PARTS INTERCHANGE WILL LOSI 1/24
JUST RENAMED
Old 10-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Looks decent. Would mind a few to take camping. Easier then packing up the 1/10 scale trucks.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by not2worried
Looks decent. Would mind a few to take camping. Easier then packing up the 1/10 scale trucks.
One piece of dirt gets in these it locks up the driveline.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

so losi 1/24 parts will all fit? Where can i read about this?
Old 10-08-2015, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RaisinBagel
so losi 1/24 parts will all fit? Where can i read about this?
Im not 100% sure yet. Losi and ECX are basically the same company so their is a chance. I hope that they are the exact same car. I guess I will find out when they are released.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The big problem with the ecx's is they don't have proportional steering- at least at 1/36. All right or all left. Ban anyone confirm the 1/24 do? I haven't heard anything different about the new models. I'm not a fan of the Losi Am radios....anyone ever try the hpi 1/32?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RaisinBagel
The big problem with the ecx's is they don't have proportional steering- at least at 1/36. All right or all left. Ban anyone confirm the 1/24 do? I haven't heard anything different about the new models. I'm not a fan of the Losi Am radios....anyone ever try the hpi 1/32?
The 1/24 is full proportional. Also, 2.4ghz radio.

The HPI is great, but it has a non-removable battery and takes a while to charge. I would skip it.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AMitchell05
What are everybody's thoughts on these? They are going to come out in the next two weeks or so. I have a group of friends that are getting these to race in peoples houses and garages. A few Aluminum upgrades have been released so far but I am hoping to find out that the dynamite kit that comes with the Brushless Losi's will fit. Not brushless but a hell of a lot cheaper that the Losi

http://www.ecxrc.com/Search/Default....hTerm=ruck24mt

http://www.ecxrc.com/Search/Default....hTerm=tor24sct

http://www.horizonhobby.com/SearchDi...ce=Q&pageView=
Kind of on topic but have you and your friends considered 1/28 scale. Mini-z to be specific. There is a point series called how fast are you. Just something to consider with the amount of aftermarket adjustable parts and the with an RCP track can be ran year round.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Byebye
Kind of on topic but have you and your friends considered 1/28 scale. Mini-z to be specific. There is a point series called how fast are you. Just something to consider with the amount of aftermarket adjustable parts and the with an RCP track can be ran year round.
I have looked into them in the past but wasn't to excited about them. They cost a little bit more and from what it seems more expensive and harder to get parts. They look a lot cooler than others of their size.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AMitchell05
I have looked into them in the past but wasn't to excited about them. They cost a little bit more and from what it seems more expensive and harder to get parts. They look a lot cooler than others of their size.
Here is a video I made during one of our club races. You can see the track size is roughly the footprint of a two car garage. We use the ilap timing system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4R1pteUG4I

This was from A-main mod class a couple weeks ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8URx7ZAQ5s

At this scale and track size lap times are in the low 4 second range.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Tech Adept

Would you be able to run a 1 cell or 2 cell lipo in these trucks? It would be nice to have some more run time with higher mah batteries.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:09 AM
Tech Rookie

We have picked up three of them to run on our Basement Homemade Foam track (RCP Style). They run pretty good out of the box but we found them far too fast for a tight track (even though brushed). So we typically dial the TH pot all the way to zero or just above. Unless you like spinouts.

So far the only issues have been the Steering Center Drag link breaking. Losi has an Aluminum replacement but I made one up in 123Design and posted it on Thiniverse, so if you have access to a 3D printer you can simply print them when they break.

One of these days I'll design a better front bumper to protect the weak steering on foam railed tracks and that should solve the issue.

Compared to the Losi version they are much cheaper but I'm wondering if the plastic is also much cheaper (can't justify $229 for a Losi when the Torment is $99... can buy two Torments for the same price). The one thing you do with with the Losi is Oil Filled shocks and yes the Torments are "bouncy". So we might try picking up a shock set and fitting them but you also need to replace the shock towers (or modify them) due to the mounting method. Batteries need a few cycles to get good run-time out of them and throttling back the TH pot helps, we can get up to 18 minutes on a charge. The Losi also has DSM built in so you can use any Spektrum radio that will talk to it (not the ECX). The price of the DSM module is the price of an entire Torment RTR.

For a stock class basement racer these things are a blast, kids are really enjoying them but the Mini-Z's are much faster and more of a joy to modify.

They don't specify that they can handle Lipo so the jury is out on that one.

Cheers
Tim
Old 11-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Great post. I'm excited to get my ruckus this week. I am impressed with the 18 minute run time on the stock battery. That will be fine for our use. I did pick up the Losi micro brushless SCT yesterday and that thing is a beast. I would like to use the Ruckus tires on it though for some added ground clearance and to "truggy" it up a bit. The other added benefit that the Losi models have is the fast charging of the stock lipo. Mine were charged in less than 10 minutes, which is really nice.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:00 AM
Tech Adept

Here is a video of my Ruckus on a 2s Lipo battery. This is a great little truck. The steering rack is a weak part that can break quite easily but other than that and a stripped wheel hub it is holding up really well to the power of the lipo.

https://youtu.be/MVZrue4IGgA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.