Wiki Posts
Search

LOSI Micro Brushless SCT

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default LOSI Micro Brushless SCT

A friend of mine wants to buy this but I just found out it's been discontinued and replaced by the SCTE. Since the SCTE comes with a lipo battery and what looks like a much better radio, is everything else the same as the SCT for parts and stuff?

I have a brushed SCT and if he gets the SCTE I want to be sure we can both mod ours using the same parts. Anything else I should be aware of? Is the stock SCTE fast? Faster than the brushless SCT? I simply put a lipo (300mAh) in my brushed SCT and it's MUCH faster!

What is the max lipo you can run in the SCTE? Up to 3S?
Old 04-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Everything is the same except for the lipo, charger, motor, body and the esc/receiver is now DSMR. If the stock servo breaks the esc has 3 pins to use a 3 wire servo if he desires.

I think you can run a 3s lipo but I doubt you would want to. It would be a handful, the motor would get hot and it would probably strip the diffs more often.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:26 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks! I think he will buy it this weekend. My LHS has the blue SCTE so I'm anxious to see how fast this is out of the box.

Anyone have an idea of how fast it is compared to the older Micro brushless SCT?
Old 04-15-2015, 11:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

The SCTE should have a similar speed as the older brushless SCT if it was also running lipo. The older version had the 8750kv motor while the newest version has a 7915kv motor. The lower kv motor might be a tick slower but it should run a little cooler.

The lipo that comes with the SCTE can be charged super fast. I've read it takes 15 minutes to charge with the included charger.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:03 PM
Tech Adept

My friend bought the Blue Micro SCTE this past Saturday! It's fast too! I have the regular or brushed SCT but I put a 300mAh 2S lipo in it and my truck runs around 23mph (clocked it using a speed gun). I haven't clocked his SCTE yet but it will catch my truck and fly right by!

Now it's time for me to get a brushless ESC from HobbyKing. I bought their BL 1230-5300KV motor and I'm hoping with this combo I can smoke 'em!!! LOL!
Old 04-20-2015, 11:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

If temps allow you will probably need a higher gear to keep up with him at top speed. You may smoke him on a short course or small area though .

If you really want to smoke him grab a 7000kv to 8000kv neu proton motor
Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dialed_In
If temps allow you will probably need a higher gear to keep up with him at top speed. You may smoke him on a short course or small area though .

If you really want to smoke him grab a 7000kv to 8000kv neu proton motor

Speaking of motors...

The SCTE comes with a 7915kv motor but my friend's motor can popped off (very strange) and the spur gear got stripped. So I called Horizon Hobby and the tech said he will mail out a new motor and spur and even told us to keep the old one and maybe we can glue the can back on but either way he's sending us a new motor!!! Horizon Hobby's customer support is the BEST!!! So my friend is gonna give me his old motor!

So I will have to get a brushless receiver but I'm also thinking of upgrading the chassis so I can fit a bigger receiver to handle a bigger lipo 3s.

I noticed the 3s lipo is only 180mAh but my 2s is 300mAh. I'm assuming the 3s will still make me faster even though the mAh is less? I was thinking about getting this one from HobbyKing...

Any thoughts? Also, any recommendations on the size Pinion & Spur I should use? I noticed in a calculator the higher the number of teeth in the pinion increases the top speed but not so much with the spur gear.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

You should be able to epoxy the cap back on the motor. Be careful not to get the epoxy on the bearings or shaft. 15 minute epoxy would work well.

2s is a 2 cell lipo which is 8.4 volts fully charged. A 3s is a 3 cell lipo which is 12.6 volts fully charged. The more cells the faster you will be. It will also cause considerably more heat.

Mah is the run time.

I honestly would stick with 2s because of the heat issue. Also the brass pinion is almost impossible to remove unless you have a micro pinion puller.

Changing pinions will make a bigger difference than changing a spur as you found out.

Here are a few aftermarket chassis'.

Exotek http://www.exotekracing.com/micro-sc...ly-conversion/

matsucars (also sells on ebay). http://www.matsucarsrc.com/index.php...tegory&path=59

DRUONU has a topic here on the forums or see here for a larger topic. http://www.microtforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=22996. He made two wide and two skinny chassis'. One each for stock or aftermarket electronics.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Default Which one to buy - I want to go FAST so use a bigger ESC & Lipo

You should be able to epoxy the cap back on the motor. Be careful not to get the epoxy on the bearings or shaft. 15 minute epoxy would work well.

2s is a 2 cell lipo which is 8.4 volts fully charged. A 3s is a 3 cell lipo which is 12.6 volts fully charged. The more cells the faster you will be. It will also cause considerably more heat.

Mah is the run time.

I honestly would stick with 2s because of the heat issue. Also the brass pinion is almost impossible to remove unless you have a micro pinion puller.

Changing pinions will make a bigger difference than changing a spur as you found out.

Here are a few aftermarket chassis'.

Exotek http://www.exotekracing.com/micro-sc...ly-conversion/

matsucars (also sells on ebay). http://www.matsucarsrc.com/index.php...tegory&path=59

DRUONU has a topic here on the forums or see here for a larger topic. http://www.microtforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=22996. He made two wide and two skinny chassis'. One each for stock or aftermarket electronics.

Thanks Dialed_In!

So as far as I know, there are 4 aftermarket chassis worth considering...
1.) $14.99 Driven Productions (Aluminum)
2.) $20.95 Delrin Chassis (Out of Spain)
3.) $56.00 Druonu (MicroTForum.com)
4.) $55.00 Exotek

I'm looking for something cheap but I want the most bang for my buck. I'm looking for speed, so I want to use a bigger ESC & Lipo. I think the Exotek is too expensive and would be too small to add a bigger ESC & Lipo. The Druonu for the same price as the Exotek seems to offer more (wider body version to fit bigger lipos - which is what I want to do).

Or are there other chassis worth considering?
Old 04-29-2015, 12:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

I think the driven productions chassis is delrin and made for 1/18th electronics. An 1/18th motor would be very hard on the diffs. I'm not even sure if they make the chassis anymore. I only see 5 products on their site.

I have a normal carbon fibre chassis made with 2 flat plates. Unfortunately they also aren't made anymore. The closest thing to it is the chassis' from Spain.

If I was more into the hobby at the moment I would buy a wide Druonu chassis for aftermarket electronics simply because it has the bellcrank steering built in. Shapeways also sells bellcranks by themselves. Bellcrank will be more precise than the stock steering.

Those are the only chassis that I know about unless you try making your own. The hardest part would be making sure the holes are drilled properly. Here is what my chassis looks like. http://www.microtforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=14422
Old 05-03-2015, 07:35 PM
Tech Adept

I think the driven productions chassis is delrin and made for 1/18th electronics. An 1/18th motor would be very hard on the diffs. I'm not even sure if they make the chassis anymore. I only see 5 products on their site.

I have a normal carbon fibre chassis made with 2 flat plates. Unfortunately they also aren't made anymore. The closest thing to it is the chassis' from Spain.

If I was more into the hobby at the moment I would buy a wide Druonu chassis for aftermarket electronics simply because it has the bellcrank steering built in. Shapeways also sells bellcranks by themselves. Bellcrank will be more precise than the stock steering.

Those are the only chassis that I know about unless you try making your own. The hardest part would be making sure the holes are drilled properly. Here is what my chassis looks like. http://www.microtforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=14422
Yeah, I'm thinking the Driven Productions chassis & Delrin are the same too. I like the price of these but like you said they don't have the bellcranks like the Druonu chassis but that one is around $60 when it's all said & done.

I also want to make sure I can fit an aftermarket ESC. The Hobbyking one is limited to 3s lipo. Do you know of an ESC that will fit any of these chassis and support more than 3s lipo? And all electrics fit on the chassis?
Old 05-04-2015, 12:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

With an aftermarket chassis any 1/18th scale esc should fit. You can always de-case the esc and heatshrink it to make it smaller. Some even re-solder smaller gauge wires to save space and weight.

Some of the most popular electronics can be found here.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default Placed My Order!

I ordered the electrics from HobbyKing.com and I'm waiting to hear back from an ebay seller on the "evo" Delrin Chassis. I asked if I can simply bolt the 7915kv Tazer Motor onto the Delrin chassis or if I needed to buy a motor mount, if a motor mount...which one?

I'll keep this thread updated on my conversion and then post the MPH I get with it using my speed gun. I'll start by using the stock pinon gear that comes on the Tazer motor on the Micro SCTE. Since it's metal, do I need to change the spur gear to metal also, or can I get away with using up the plastic spurs? I have a 54T or 64T (it's really tiny to read).

Here's what I ordered from HobbyKing so far...
- ESC: TrackStar 25A + Programming Card
- Lipo: Rhino 3S 360mAh 20C
- Micro T Connectors & Charge Leads
Old 07-07-2015, 05:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

The stock motor mount should bolt up to the evo chassis or you could buy an aluminum mount. It's really a personal preference as they all do the same thing but the aluminum would help lower temps.

A plastic or delrin spur is fine. Metal on metal can be loud and wear. If you change the brass pinion you will need to get a puller.

Micro T connectors aren't the best. Most use polarized micro Deans or the red JST connectors like the ones on your Rhino lipo.

The esc comes with 3.5mm female bullets that go to the motor. I'm not sure if they come with matching males for the motor. If not you'll need a set or change both the motor and esc connectors.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Dialed-in! Glad to know I should be able to use the stock mount. Is this also the case with the Micro SCT stock motor mount?

I have JST connectors, so maybe I'll use these.

Thanks again for the support!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.