Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
LOSI MINI 8ight T(Truggy) SCT/Rally conversion.. >

LOSI MINI 8ight T(Truggy) SCT/Rally conversion..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

LOSI MINI 8ight T(Truggy) SCT/Rally conversion..

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 04:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Smile LOSI MINI 8ight T(Truggy) SCT/Rally conversion..

Alright, I believe I have most of the parts I'll need to convert the M8T into a SCT. Here is the idea and parts needed as far as I can tell.

Since I had the M8 already and just acquired the LC Racing EMB-MTH/TACON Valor. I noticed that the widths are almost identical.

Following suit of the LC RACING/TACON 1/14 Lineup of RC'S. Where with few changes you can transform them from a buggy to a MT, or with a longer chassis into a SCTor Rally.

Well LOSI skipped the SCT and Rally and went from Buggy to Truggy. I waited to see if the SCT would follow and simply got tired of waiting. With the longer chassis on the M8T, which is very similar in length to the LC Racing SCT/Rally chassis. I figured I'd swap the M8 arms, turnbuckles, dog bones and see how things looked.

This list will grow if needed.

Well it's super close only a few mm difference eye balling it.

Parts I plan on using:

1. LOSI MINI 8IGHT TRUGGY
2. LOSI MINI 8IGHT F/R ARMS, TURNBUCKLES, DOG BONES, WHEEL HEX
3. TBR F/R M8 BUMPERS
4. LOSI MINI 8IGHT TRUGGY GRAPHITE SHOCK TOWERS*
5. LC RACING SCT BODY POSTS OR M8T BODY POST
6. LC RACING SCT WHEEL & TIRE COMBO, BODY. MAYBE SIDE GUARDS.

I noticed that the steering turnbuckles are a different size from M8 to M8T by about 8mm. I will source another top front turnbuckle from a M8T. Which is similar in length as what I need to make this work.

Here are some pictures:

M8T with M8 rear arms,turnbuckles and dog bones. Comparison picture of the width difference between the two.

Just for kicks. M8 with the M8T arms, turnbuckles, and dog bones. Comparison picture of the two.

M8T with M8 F/R full swap:

M8 with M8T parts full swap. Interested in seeing how this will run.

Side by side with full swap of parts: arms, turnbuckles, dog bones.

They fit perfectly from one to the other:

Comparison of the M8T with swap and LC Racing EMB-MTH. The widths are almost identical.

M8T with aluminum wheel hex and LC Racing SCT wheel and tire combo installed :

Side view:

Graphite M8T Shock Towers and LC Racing SCT body mounts or maybe I'll use the stock M8T front body mounts. Not sure yet.

I cut the bodies up to mock them up, but not perfectly. I'll come back and do the details later. Anxiously curious to see if they will fit the M8T.

Result: Both the LC Racing SCT & Rally bodies will fit a M8T with Losi Mini 8ight(M8) arms, turnbuckles, and dog bones.

Unpainted bodies placed on the the chassis to get an ideas of what it will look like.

M8T SCT conversion:

The front might be an issue. A little camber should do the trick.

M8T Rally conversion:

Using the LC Racing Rally wheels. Not sure what body mounts yet.

Body mount install and paint will follow soon.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

What's up beautiful people!

Here's some more progress on the M8T SCT conversion.

I decided to go with the LC Racing SCT body mounts. To my surprise the rear mounts fit perfectly. It bolts right on to the diff case. The holes on the graphite/aluminum shock towers, mounts, and diff case all line up nicely. No drilling shock towers, as I was prepared to do. This works for both front and rear as the diff cases are the same front and rear. I stuck with the stock M8T front body posts. I test fit it first and it was just right. The LC Racing SCT rear mounts are adjustable. I will have to trim the body post to the right size. But other than that. It is pretty straight forward.

Hope you guys find this helpful.

This is the rear LC Racing SCT body mount. I trimmed the little plastic piece that aligns it to the LC Racing shock towers. It wasn't necessary for the Losi shock towers. I used graphite shock towers, but the aluminum work also.

Mount attached to the diff case with 2X10mm screws or 2X12mm screws. Both will work. I had 10mm at hand. The body posts will be trimmed to clear suspension, arms, etc.

The holes in the mount line up with the diff case.

Stock M8T front body mount.

The body is officially mounted properly.

This might work. The side guards for the LC Racing SCT will fit the Losi M8T chassis. One of the holes lines up. But the rest can be drilled to the plastic side guard.

Next up will be paint.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Forgot to post this one with the mounts installed:

Last edited by RCWERKZ; 04-11-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Nice work man! I saw your original post and was anxious to see what happened. Look forward to seeing how it drives.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mkiiina
Nice work man! I saw your original post and was anxious to see what happened. Look forward to seeing how it drives.

Thank you Sir!

I have been a bit busy with other builds. I recently just went a little crazy converting my RC collection in something different. Sorry about the delay. I will paint this body and place the proper turnbuckle for steering soon.

Here is where some of my time has been as of late:

It's at the bottom of the page. I took my RC8.2E and did a 1/10 SCT conversion.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...l#post13898413
Old 03-25-2015, 12:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Finally some paint on the SCT body for the Losi Mini 8ight T.

Sorry for the wait guys.

This will be a Baja inspired color Theme. I have wonderful child hood memories of The Baja 1000. Which is probably one of the reasons I absolutely love offroad trucks, bugs, etc. I can still feel the dirt in my face from the trucks passing by.

Here is the first coat of paint.

Adding some effects.

Second color.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Nice work
Old 03-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DriveKyosho
Nice work
Thank you!

Almost done....
Old 03-26-2015, 10:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Body is all done and mounted. Now the Losi Mini 8ight T/Truggy is looking like a proper SCT. The T-Bone Racing bumpers for the Mini 8ight fit the Mini 8ight T perfectly. A few more mods and I will run it soon. This conversion is very near it's completion.

YourConfused likes this.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:58 PM
Tech Adept

Very nice! =)
Old 03-28-2015, 01:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

I had an issue with the stock M8T steering links/turnbuckles. So I ordered the LC Racing turnbuckles. They come as a set of three. Two small and one large. I used both the small turnbuckles. They work perfectly. I may shorten the turnbuckles a bit more if need be.

I finally ran the Losi Mini 8ight T as a SCT for the first time today on a 3s battery on street terrain. Wow! This thing was ridiculous fast yet composed. I did speed runs and turns. It felt real good. I image this to be a rock star on the track with 2s. For sure you will need to be aware of your speed on 3s. It is a handful but manageable. If you get it right. It will not turn over. I ran a full pack and zero rollovers. Which to me this is impressive. I've ran my other mini's with this battery and I've experienced that ouch moment where you flip, rollover, or hit something unexpectedly. It happens. It's part of the game. Today was not one of those days. I felt in control most of the time.

I'm going to run more packs and test on different terrains. For now, I can say I'm very satisfied with the result thus far. Yes, it needs a bit more tuning. This build is pretty straight forward and easy to build. I hope to see more of these in the very near future. If you decide to do one please show case yours.

Thanks for looking and following this build to this point. I appreciate your patience. I know it took a while but we are here now.

The Rally M8T is next. Let's see how things work out there.

Here are the parts/turnbuckles I used.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fliiix
Very nice! =)

Thank you!
Old 04-01-2015, 12:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Today, I was able to mount the Tacon Rally bumper to the front of the Losi mini 8ight T. It's almost a direct fit. The bottom part of the bumper slides right in where the stock bumper goes. You only need to unscrew the two screws closest to the edge of the front part of the chassis. Slide in the Tacon Rally bumper. With a drill bit a size just smaller then the chassis screw hole. Drill the new holes on the insert part of the bumper. Then on the top of the Tacon Rally bumper you will need to make a spacer. I chose to go with a piece that I cut from the stock battery brace. It was just the right thickness for the job. I Dremeled the spacer to the size that I needed and drilled four holes. The first two are for the Rally bumper top mount holes. The second two are for the two screws that go in the top part of the diff case. The idea, is that the first two screws will hold the top mount part of the Rally bumper in place. While the second two holes will allow the top diff screws to hold the spacer that now has the bumper mount screwed on in place.

Fairly simple mod. Just need patience for drilling the holes in the right place. The end result almost looks completely stock.

Here are the pictures of the bumper mounted. Also the same Tacon rear body mount is used for this application as for the SCT conversion. All you need to do is adjust the body post. Surprisingly the Rally body mount hole indicated on the body it self are practically the same place as a Tacon Rally. I will drill them out and mount the body. Looking forward to painting this body. Let's see how it turns out.

You can see the spacer that I used up close.

Top view. If your not going to use the stock front body mounts you can also drill out the holes for the lower part of the body mounts and attach there. Using the lower two screws for the body mount on the homemade spacer.

The bottom looks as if it was made for the Losi Chassis.

***NOTE*** You will need the Tacon screw set to assemble the Rally bumper. You can use the stock Losi screws for mounting.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I am really looking forward to the Rally conversion. The SCT was a logical step but the rally is very interesting. Even better you are making it look like it could have come from the factory like that.

Great work man!
Old 04-03-2015, 03:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mkiiina
I am really looking forward to the Rally conversion. The SCT was a logical step but the rally is very interesting. Even better you are making it look like it could have come from the factory like that.

Great work man!
Thanks, man!

I'm surprised at how well these parts fit the Losi M8T. I'm just as excited about the Rally. I'm currently brainstorming ideas for the paint scheme. Not sure what I want to do yet. But i will have it done soon.

I've since ran the SCT more. On 3s. It's crazy fast and very controllable. The width and length are perfect. I assume the Rally will be that much better on road.

Thanks for the complement!

Last edited by RCWERKZ; 04-11-2015 at 02:01 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.