Community
Wiki Posts
Search

team associated 18r good and lipo question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default team associated 18r good and lipo question

I found a 18r for 60 buks I like the over all platform and it is all stock im assuming u can not run a lipo on stock setup? And is this a good investment buy?
Old 06-22-2014, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think you'll get proper answers on this in the Micro/Mini section(those guys know EVERYTHING about that chassis), so I'm gonna move this over there where they'll see it....
Old 06-23-2014, 02:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You could run a lipo but, you will not have a low voltage cutoff.
I'm going to lol on the investment question. It's not going to go up in value.
Ya, it's fun and I still run them with a few buddies every now and then. I haven't had any problems getting parts, they're still around. In stock form, the steering setup is weak and the esc has issues with a Spekky radio. I'm pretty sure a new one cost me less than $125 RTR many years ago.
Cheers
Old 06-23-2014, 03:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks abunch now im excited for my mini ,can u shed somelight on the cut off? I have not ran one yet im fairly new to the hobby I will be moveing up from the losi micro rally and sct, so is $60 a fair price for a runing 18r? I also do plan to go brushless later
Old 06-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The cut off stops you from draining the battery too low, which will damage or ruin the battery. Loads of info on batteries on this site. When you go brushless you will most likely have a built in cut off. There are alarms and external cut offs that can be added if you wanted but, just go brushless it's way more fun.

Pricing is a funny thing and everyone has a different opinion on the subject. If you see it run and get to try it, $60 is not an unfair price. I tend to say if it's used, it's worth 50% of a new one. Sure there are exceptions on both sides of the dollar amount. Busted and beat to death probably isn't worth that and mint, shiny and in demand may be worth more.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you do want to go with a lipo setup I'd recommend an 18turn/5800kv brushless motor and ESC setup. Hobbywing makes some nice ones for about $40-50. The rest of the car can easily handle that, but yes you'll want to upgrade the steering immediately. I Have been running my 18r since 2008, it is a fun little car. Even after racing all my 1/10 touring cars in always come back to my 18r ...it's just that fun!