Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

Tacon thriller 1/14th?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:36 PM
Tech Regular

Got a new body for my short wheelbase MT. It's the 1/16 bug body from Proline meant for the merv. It looks great IMO. The front mounts up fine but in the rear I had to get creative on drilling the holes. The rear needed some trimming but not as much as I cut off. Need to paint it, and get some new body posts as these are ground down from all the upside down landings with the F-150 body from LC Racing.

Also mounted up the wing. I used longer screws from a replacement screw kit, they were slightly larger in diameter so I had to drill the shock tower and body mount holes out a bit. I also used a nut to get the right spacing, also comes in the screw kit.

Another way to mount the body is by leaving the rear part of the body (the section I trimmed off, not shown), and screwing it into the wing. That takes a lot more time to remove though and I'm not sure about how durable it would be as it could fold were it attaches to the main section of the body.

Backyard RC and BigBoss0311 like this.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

That looks really good! Too bad that body isn't in production anymore. Maybe we can petition Proline to make this or some of their other bodies available in a 185mm or 225mm wheelbase.

BigBoss0311: Good to hear you're enjoying yours. Next time you go run it try mapping out a track.
These are actually really good on-road with the right set up. 26mm on road tires and a lower ride height and these things are really quick.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:57 PM
Tech Regular

Got the baja bug body painted. Went with a basic white and black paint scheme to compliment all the black on the rest of the truck; T-bone bumpers and wheelie bar, proline trenchers, mini 8ight wing etc. I can also run my Duratrax 2.2 ST Lockup tires mounted on a set of the white truggy wheels without them looking weird, since they match with the color scheme. The first pictures are after I added some detailing with a sharpie. It actually looks pretty good and I also ran it on all the black sections to hide any masking mistakes and/or bleeding.

I had my first real breakage with the MT today. 4 months of stupid bashing and the only issues I've had were a few blown wheel bearings, a broken spindle and spindle carrier and an MT body. That goes to show how durable these little things are.

After trying to see how long I could wheelie it (hammer the throttle, and then hammer it again once the front seemed like it would go down),3 of the 4 diff screws broke. They just snapped off at the top. Looks like I'll need a brand new diff since the screws are stuck inside and spare parts for the older 2 gear design aren't sold anymore. Although, it was time to upgrade to the 4 gear design and get some new output cups.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Nice!
The body not the breakage.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Backyard RC
Nice!
The body not the breakage.
Thanks!

I was pretty surprised about the diff screws snapping. Wouldn't expect that to happen but anything can break when pushed too hard. I'll only do single wheelies now lol. Happened on 2s BTW.

Quick note
I can't really see how people could run these (or any mini) on 3s. 2s is more than enough and the drivetrains are built to handle 7.4v accordingly, anymore than that and you're really just wearing things down quicker for no reason.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:27 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

some people want stupid power. Speed runs and all lol
Old 01-24-2018, 05:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by noel02
Thanks!

I was pretty surprised about the diff screws snapping. Wouldn't expect that to happen but anything can break when pushed too hard. I'll only do single wheelies now lol. Happened on 2s BTW.

Quick note
I can't really see how people could run these (or any mini) on 3s. 2s is more than enough and the drivetrains are built to handle 7.4v accordingly, anymore than that and you're really just wearing things down quicker for no reason.
So far the only breakages ive had on my Thriller have been the grub screws backing out and the front dogbone cross pin of the center driveshaft has broken twice(sheared the pin once and second one just fell out). I also go through bodies very quickly. They just crack at the rear fenders and fall apart.

This is with me beating it to a pulp on a 1/10 indoor track on 2s.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kevinatfms
So far the only breakages ive had on my Thriller have been the grub screws backing out and the front dogbone cross pin of the center driveshaft has broken twice(sheared the pin once and second one just fell out). I also go through bodies very quickly. They just crack at the rear fenders and fall apart.

This is with me beating it to a pulp on a 1/10 indoor track on 2s.
I agree. I started racing the Thriller in a four-wheel drive mini class against Losi mini 8 and it does pretty well. Very tough little truck.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tough truck

Very tough 4 wheel drive sct. Haven't really broke anything. It's very quick. If anything I have to learn how to hammer into the corners harder because the truck can handle it without rolling over.[/I]
Old 01-31-2018, 07:54 AM
Tech Adept

Hey so I got one of these a few months ago and raced it twice. The instructions the cane with it are pretty awful. I’d like to rebuild it, but as I’ve never worked with 1/14 stuff until this, I think it would end up a pile of parts. Is there a good instruction manual anywhere?
Old 01-31-2018, 12:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Bent the center drive shaft/dogbone. Hit a curb doing about 30mph or so. I was trying to hit a ramp and completely missed lol. Everything else on the truck was still fine. Had a spare on hand and got it back up and running in 10 minutes. Took the truck out today for some more dirt fun at the park, hit a tree root doing about 5 mph and the tbone racing bumper snapped off. Time to contact them. Finally got my Halo lights in from Hobbyking (almost 1 month) and got those set up as well. Also added a slight body mod on the inside. I made a dust/splash guard and mounted it up to keep crap from spraying all over the electronics. Seems to work pretty well so far. Only issue I have had is a pebble got trapped in between the guard and the servo arm and I couldn't turn right until I got the pebble out.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BigBoss0311
Bent the center drive shaft/dogbone. Hit a curb doing about 30mph or so. I was trying to hit a ramp and completely missed lol. Everything else on the truck was still fine. Had a spare on hand and got it back up and running in 10 minutes. Took the truck out today for some more dirt fun at the park, hit a tree root doing about 5 mph and the tbone racing bumper snapped off. Time to contact them. Finally got my Halo lights in from Hobbyking (almost 1 month) and got those set up as well. Also added a slight body mod on the inside. I made a dust/splash guard and mounted it up to keep crap from spraying all over the electronics. Seems to work pretty well so far. Only issue I have had is a pebble got trapped in between the guard and the servo arm and I couldn't turn right until I got the pebble out.
I bent my center dog once, I replaced it and stopped having the issue. If it happens again, maybe a carbon fiber center brace will fix the problem since it'll reduce or completely stop the chassis from flexing on a really hard landing, which is what causes the dog bone to bend.

My t-bone bumpers have been rock solid after all the bashing I’ve put them through. They have been ground down pretty bad though, I can barely get the screws out. I’ll see if I can warranty that.

Were you running in cold weather by any chance?

Last edited by noel02; 01-31-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

It was about 65 or so today when I had it out and the bumper broke. I should mention, the smaller piece that connects to the bumper and the diff had snapped almost immediately after my first run with it. I think I posted about it already. Either way, when that first piece of the bumper broke, it wasn't on a very hard hit either so not sure what the deal is. This really is durable and it has been proven many times over when I have friends that want to try it out and end up crashing it into a tree. These trucks really like trees for some reason...........ordered a new body again as I have cut and drilled on this one so much trying to figure out my lighting and spare tire setup. Oh, on a side note, I am running a 2s 2200mah 25c lipo and with stock everything (except the extra weight on the body) we clocked it next to my 4runner at just over 35mph.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Slanman: Here's a link to a manual.
https://p11.secure.hostingprod.com/@.../25C109-14.pdf
Old 01-31-2018, 10:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Photos of the rear lights and the inside of the body with the dust guard. New body will have the wires laid out properly. Also, I am making a dual tire holder that will be attached to the frame of the rear bumper instead of the body. This thing is fun to mod, and much cheaper than modding my real vehicle......for now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.