Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Micro DT differential problems. Already. >

Micro DT differential problems. Already.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Micro DT differential problems. Already.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Micro DT differential problems. Already.

I got a Micro Dt a few months back. Ran it a few times, then switched to lipo. It was stupid fast for about 5 minutes, then disaster struck. It started pulling left so hard that I had to steer right just to make it go straight. Only one wheel was spinning. So I pulled the trans/diff apart and sure enough, the tiny plastic gears on the axles were missing teeth. So I decided to lock the diff with some super glue. Long story short, that didnt go as well as I'd hoped. I've got some diff rebuild kits on the way from Horizon and I was wondering if there's any tricks to extend the life on these. Someone mentioned putting a shim on the end of the gears and loosening the slipper. Has anyone else run into this problem?
Old 04-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Rookie

How old was your car? Ever lube the gears in there?
Old 04-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Tech Initiate

I got it around January but there's no telling how long it sat on the shelf before that. Someone mentioned adding sewing machine oil... I'm trying to avoid an expensive metal gear set if possible.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BatCarC5
I got a Micro Dt a few months back. Ran it a few times, then switched to lipo. It was stupid fast for about 5 minutes, then disaster struck. It started pulling left so hard that I had to steer right just to make it go straight. Only one wheel was spinning. So I pulled the trans/diff apart and sure enough, the tiny plastic gears on the axles were missing teeth. So I decided to lock the diff with some super glue. Long story short, that didnt go as well as I'd hoped. I've got some diff rebuild kits on the way from Horizon and I was wondering if there's any tricks to extend the life on these. Someone mentioned putting a shim on the end of the gears and loosening the slipper. Has anyone else run into this problem?
There is a fix , but its time consuming.Each of the 3 planetary gears comes from a different mold. I found that if I assembled it and the diff was tight when I bolted the trannscase back together to take it back apart and change the order the planetary gears sit in the main gear..There is enough difference between them that changing the position alone makes a difference in how tight or loose the diff feels..Hope that helps. For lube I use the MIP red grease as it is very sticky and is hard to "throw" from moving parts.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by BatCarC5
Someone mentioned adding sewing machine oil... I'm trying to avoid an expensive metal gear set if possible.
Sewing machine oil will work for a while but it won't stay in there. You need some kind of grease. Petrolium jelly (Vasoline) is an option that most people already have around the house but I am sure there are better greases out there for RC cars such as the one 2wdMod mentioned.

CG
Old 04-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I used the side gears of the losi 1/24 clamped them in my drill and set it straight up then I took a file to it till it was close to the size of the plastic stock side gears then I cut the tabs off the plastic main gear on each side and there you go metal gear diffs I have run countless lipos threw them gpm makes a modded diff already but it's forty bucks I bought one but ultimately it's the same as modding one I got the idea off microtforums.com I can post links of the tutorial if you like