Old 05-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kytsrf
Kemora bashes better than Mini8; has bumpers on
all 4 sides and can take a lick'n.
ESC same as Mini8's.

Here is with new Kalahari Desert wheels
The ESC seems to be the same, but its programming functions are a lot different. And it is waterproof. I actually like the Mini 8 ESC better aside from it being susceptible to water damage lol. But only because it doesn't require the controller to change the settings.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Sorry guys I have not been on in awhile very busy with other projects. I see some of you are having the tires coming off the rims during high speed runs. We have fixed this problem and the new tires will have a much stronger glue bead. If you have a tire that separates please call our Service Center and they will take care of you.

I am glad you guys are liking the Kemora and Kalahari, if you have any feedback that you would like to give please do. I'm trying to bring you guys some more video, tell me what you would like to see and I will try to make it happen as soon as I can.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gijoe64
Sorry guys I have not been on in awhile very busy with other projects. I see some of you are having the tires coming off the rims during high speed runs. We have fixed this problem and the new tires will have a much stronger glue bead. If you have a tire that separates please call our Service Center and they will take care of you.

I am glad you guys are liking the Kemora and Kalahari, if you have any feedback that you would like to give please do. I'm trying to bring you guys some more video, tell me what you would like to see and I will try to make it happen as soon as I can.
I guess I will have to make a call to the Service Center lol.I still love the compound you all use. It is brilliant. They do wear quick, but that is always the case with a soft compound. I always recommend that my hobby shop customers use the regular Vaterra tires for their price/performance. It's a great deal if you want grip.

For the videos, I'd like to see more track action. Taking it out to a 1/10 scale off-road track and giving it the beans :-)

Also some tandem drifting videos would be awesome with the Kemora and Kalahari. To show off their balance on and off of asphalt.

Either way, I am definitely loving my Kemora. I just wish it was bigger! Are their any plans to make an 1/8 or 1/10 scale Rally cars?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Damned, spur gear dead...
Old 05-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EbbTide
I guess I will have to make a call to the Service Center lol.I still love the compound you all use. It is brilliant. They do wear quick, but that is always the case with a soft compound. I always recommend that my hobby shop customers use the regular Vaterra tires for their price/performance. It's a great deal if you want grip.

For the videos, I'd like to see more track action. Taking it out to a 1/10 scale off-road track and giving it the beans :-)

Also some tandem drifting videos would be awesome with the Kemora and Kalahari. To show off their balance on and off of asphalt.

Either way, I am definitely loving my Kemora. I just wish it was bigger! Are their any plans to make an 1/8 or 1/10 scale Rally cars?
Thank you for the input and add this to my video list.

We are always developing just stay tuned.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default New Kalahari owner! (need bigger NiMH battery)

Greetings,

I bought a Kalahari about two weeks ago, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, especially with it being my first hobby-grade RC. I'm mentally ready to move to a 2S Lipo, but not financially, since I would also have to get a LiPo charger. I'm somewhat content with the power I get from the stock setup, apart from the cogging, but the run-time is just too short for me, since I might only get one opportunity to get out of the house (got little kids) to do some bashing. I would like to at least double, if not triple, my run-time (a good 20-30 mins of full power).

Now, apart from having to have an extra 1200mAh NiMH pack to switch out during my run, does anyone have an idea for fitting a larger capacity NiMH pack, without cutting or whatnot? Perhaps, leave the battery cover off and run two in parallel (zip-tied together or something)? The Kalahari's battery compartment won't take anything larger than that 1200mAh battery. (3.9" x 1.1").

I'm starting to guess that most RC'ers will follow the common workaround of jerry-rigging whatever battery they want to use, if it doesn't fit the stock compartment. Sound about right? It's most likely what I'll end up doing.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by duhjun
Greetings,

I bought a Kalahari about two weeks ago, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, especially with it being my first hobby-grade RC. I'm mentally ready to move to a 2S Lipo, but not financially, since I would also have to get a LiPo charger. I'm somewhat content with the power I get from the stock setup, apart from the cogging, but the run-time is just too short for me, since I might only get one opportunity to get out of the house (got little kids) to do some bashing. I would like to at least double, if not triple, my run-time (a good 20-30 mins of full power).

Now, apart from having to have an extra 1200mAh NiMH pack to switch out during my run, does anyone have an idea for fitting a larger capacity NiMH pack, without cutting or whatnot? Perhaps, leave the battery cover off and run two in parallel (zip-tied together or something)? The Kalahari's battery compartment won't take anything larger than that 1200mAh battery. (3.9" x 1.1").

I'm starting to guess that most RC'ers will follow the common workaround of jerry-rigging whatever battery they want to use, if it doesn't fit the stock compartment. Sound about right? It's most likely what I'll end up doing.
There is no other NimH pack that I know of that will fit, I would suggest 2S Lipo pack the chargers are cheap now so it would be a great upgrade. Don't be afraid of the speed of the Kemora in 2S you will really love it, I would say 3S is to much for a first timer. If you still want to go slower you can change the pinion to a smaller one. IMO go 2S and get a new charger.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi !
I have to change the spur gear. Is there any tutorial ?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gijoe64
There is no other NimH pack that I know of that will fit, I would suggest 2S Lipo pack the chargers are cheap now so it would be a great upgrade. Don't be afraid of the speed of the Kemora in 2S you will really love it, I would say 3S is to much for a first timer. If you still want to go slower you can change the pinion to a smaller one. IMO go 2S and get a new charger.
Thanks, Raymon. I'll probably go ahead and get a 2S, since the larger NiMH would eventually get thrown in a storage bin and end up being a waste of $$. I'm not afraid of the extra speed, by any means. If it was too much, I could always set the throttle limit to Low or Med. However, I just might go to a lower gear setup, because I would like more torque, due to the abundance of hills around here. I'll wait and see what improvement I get with a 2S, however, then go from there. It's a fun car, thus far!
Old 06-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

All I can say is, "Wow!" I am sold on LiPo power. Raymon, and every one else that has professed the worthiness of LiPo's, has been right. I couldn't have imagined it would be such a notable performance increase, even after watching videos. It's really something that is best experienced personally. That thing was peeling out on dry asphalt! It was spinning in circles, as if it were slick, wet pavement.

So, I got a 2S LiPo and charger, and took the Kalahari to several parks. Several, because the first one had too much loose topsoil, so that the car just spun out, uncontrollably. The second park had too many kids, who immediately surrounded the car, and tried chasing it. One of them would've gotten hurt, so I packed up and headed for another place. Third time was a charm. Found plenty of room to open up the Kalahari, and I had the most fun I've had so far with that car. I couldn't believe how powerful that motor became with a simple battery change. Fun, fun, fun!

I do think that I will soon switch to a smaller pinion gear, and if possible, some larger wheels and tires. I think I want the Kalahari to be more of an off road basher. It gets a little hung up on grass, even fairly short grass, unless the ground underneath is hard and even.
For wheels, I only need to be concerned that they're 12mm, correct?

Last edited by duhjun; 06-15-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Finish my thoughts
Old 06-17-2013, 07:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Yes, 12mm.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by AlienAlien
Yes, 12mm .
Well, I did try to match up some 1/16 scale, off road wheels, intended for the mini revo, and it looked like some cutting would be required to keep them from rubbing the chassis. I think it will take some work to find anything much larger, or wider, than stock.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by AlienAlien
Hi !
I have to change the spur gear. Is there any tutorial ?
My spur is stripped, too. Happened just yesterday evening, after much off- roading. Does the whole front end have to come off to remove the spur?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Spur gear replaced!

Originally Posted by duhjun
My spur is stripped, too. Happened just yesterday evening, after much off- roading. Does the whole front end have to come off to remove the spur?
What a pain! That job was so arduous that I'm tempted to never run my car through dirt or gravel, ever again, just to save my new spur gear.
I went with the largest of the two extras that came with the car, because I want more torque. I had intended to put on a smaller pinion gear, which I'd picked up at the local Hobby Town, but it didn't fit. I think it was for a 1/10 size motor.
This job required lifting the long cover over the drive shaft, removing all screws holding the motor and spur gear fitting, and all the screws holding the front drive clip, because the spur gear is fitted on a shaft with a gear held in place inside that front clip (that's what HH support called it).
I'm getting ready to go test it out, now. Hope it works, because I don't feel like messing with it again, for some time.
I have some pics on my phone, which I'm using to make this note, so I can't upload them until I get to a desktop.

Update: 6/19/2013
Apparently I don't have enough posts to get permission to drop a link in a post, so I had to grab the IMG url's from my Picasa album, where these pics were uploaded to. They might seem a little vague, but hopefully will help someone like myself, who could have used a few pointers.

1. Removal of upper deck screws

2. Upper deck lifted and front drive shaft support removed

3. Upper deck lifted and drive shaft removed.

4. Front gear box opened (this must be done, to remove that front drive shaft which the spur is mounted on)

5. Motor mount and front drive shaft (with spur) lifted. Front drive shaft can now be removed from the mount.

Last edited by duhjun; 10-02-2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Update pic url's.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Bought a kemora on saturday had one quick run with the supplied nihm pack and went straight to my lhs to grab a couple of lipos. This car is awsome. I've put about 4 packs
through it in my back yard and up and down the street and took it to my local track today. On the track it was great. Handled the jumps well and was a blast on the corners. Thinking about going up to a 6000kv combo just for a bit more speed. Well done vaterra this is a great car/package at a great price. We might see a full class of these at my local track soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.