R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #421
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Romania
Posts: 110
Default

There are very small stones that like getting stuck between spur teeth (being pushed there by pinion teeth), had that issue more than one time with two different cars (one of them having a partial gear cover). It's annoying to have to stop and try to get them out as they embed in the plastic.

Oh wait, had this issue with a third car too, a scx10, had to buy the optional gear cover, lucky there is one that just fits.
danb1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #422
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 379
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Check out this video. This person tricked out a Kalihari. Nice work with the optional mini-8 aluminum color shock bodies and titanium nitride shafts. Awesome body with lights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJbwVC1-KtA
__________________
Mike :: Nitro Ace :: Lipo Ace
Losi 8 2.0 :: Losi mini-8 :: Kyosho DBX :: Kyosho DBX 2.0
Vaterra Kalahari powered by Hyperion 3S 2100mah 25C
Nitro Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #423
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,081
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Ace View Post
Check out this video. This person tricked out a Kalihari. Nice work with the optional mini-8 aluminum color shock bodies and titanium nitride shafts. Awesome body with lights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJbwVC1-KtA
Dang it, I want those shocks. I've never had a mini-8ight, can you clarify which shocks would fit the Kemora? Fronts, rears, or both?

I'm currently looking at the 65mm GMade aeration shocks. They're "cheap" but would work pretty well here, I think.
__________________
Team Nervous - It's all fun with toy cars until the first qualifier

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #424
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 379
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
Dang it, I want those shocks. I've never had a mini-8ight, can you clarify which shocks would fit the Kemora? Fronts, rears, or both?

I'm currently looking at the 65mm GMade aeration shocks. They're "cheap" but would work pretty well here, I think.
I might be able to answer your question about "fronts or rears or both" once my package (containing the new kalihari) arrives next week. I have all the losi parts to build those trick looking shocks. And so I'll let you know soon as I get the vehicle and see what fits.

Unfortunately it will be pricey to build a set of four all alloy units just like in that video. You can save a little money if you use the black shock bodies instead of the aluminum color bodies. The black bodies are stock on the mini-8, and come with the adjuster rings, top and bottom caps. Those look nice with the gold colored Ti-Nitride shafts. That would be the way to go.

But the aluminum color shock bodies come without the adjuster rings, screw-on tops and bottoms. They assume you have a mini-8 which comes with that hardware.
__________________
Mike :: Nitro Ace :: Lipo Ace
Losi 8 2.0 :: Losi mini-8 :: Kyosho DBX :: Kyosho DBX 2.0
Vaterra Kalahari powered by Hyperion 3S 2100mah 25C
Nitro Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #425
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,081
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Ace View Post
I might be able to answer your question about "fronts or rears or both" once my package (containing the new kalihari) arrives next week. I have all the losi parts to build those trick looking shocks. And so I'll let you know soon as I get the vehicle and see what fits.

Unfortunately it will be pricey to build a set of four all alloy units just like in that video. You can save a little money if you use the black shock bodies instead of the aluminum color bodies. The black bodies are stock on the mini-8, and come with the adjuster rings, top and bottom caps. Those look nice with the gold colored Ti-Nitride shafts. That would be the way to go.

But the aluminum color shock bodies come without the adjuster rings, screw-on tops and bottoms. They assume you have a mini-8 which comes with that hardware.
That would be awesome, man, thanks!

I'm fine with all black shocks, I just would like something aluminum. The GMade shocks, although from a questionable brand, are actually pretty popular in the crawler/scaler community, so I was thinking of trying those out. $47 for the full set of 4 on eBay, last time I checked.

Do the mini-8ight shocks leak? I only ask since my 22SCT shocks leaked like bastards from the bottom, I had to get the 2.0 parts to make them work like they should have all along.
__________________
Team Nervous - It's all fun with toy cars until the first qualifier

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #426
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 379
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
That would be awesome, man, thanks!

I'm fine with all black shocks, I just would like something aluminum. The GMade shocks, although from a questionable brand, are actually pretty popular in the crawler/scaler community, so I was thinking of trying those out. $47 for the full set of 4 on eBay, last time I checked.

Do the mini-8ight shocks leak? I only ask since my 22SCT shocks leaked like bastards from the bottom, I had to get the 2.0 parts to make them work like they should have all along.
The stock black mini-8 shock bodies are aluminum. I think the screw-on tops and bottoms are all alloy as well. In six months my mini-8 shocks have never leaked.

Yeah, after seeing that video I'm even more happy I ordered the kalihari.
__________________
Mike :: Nitro Ace :: Lipo Ace
Losi 8 2.0 :: Losi mini-8 :: Kyosho DBX :: Kyosho DBX 2.0
Vaterra Kalahari powered by Hyperion 3S 2100mah 25C
Nitro Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #427
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,081
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Ace View Post
The stock black mini-8 shock bodies are aluminum. I think the screw-on tops and bottoms are all alloy as well. In six months my mini-8 shocks have never leaked.

Yeah, after seeing that video I'm even more happy I ordered the kalihari.
I tore down and completely rebuilt the stock Kemora shocks. Honestly, they're not bad for stock plastic. At first I actually thought they were aluminum, the black plastic is very hard and smooth, pretty nice. The orange bottom o-rings are a little swollen (yey RTR!), but not too bad and the shocks are still pretty smooth. One of the bodies seems a tiny bit warped and there is the smallest hint of resistance to the piston passing, but it's not a big deal for a basher like this.

Just for the hell of it, I drilled the caps and tried to build a dead shock, which I mostly accomplished. AE 60WT oil feels good with the stock springs. I moved the bottom of the shocks out and moved the tops in, we'll see how the car handles when I get my Lipos. I have a bunch of rally wheels/tires from my XV-01, which are 26mm and wider than the stock Vaterra. I'll try those on and take it for a spin, hopefully early next week

By the way, Vaterra, if you're reading, good job on this car! Very impressive, especially at the low price point!
__________________
Team Nervous - It's all fun with toy cars until the first qualifier

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #428
Tech Initiate
 
Mr. Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: FARNORCAL
Posts: 44
Default

TOTALLY agree with ya Metalnut, the Kalahari is a nice lil mini!!! I have a set of the Gmade shocks on my 1/10 4x4 buggy and they are NICE!!!! I also agree on the stock shocks....not bad for a rtr!!!!
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #429
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 379
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The Kem/Kal chassis looks like an improvement on the original Slash 4x4. I like the appearance of both bumpers and the bracing behind them. Going to remove the side nerf bars and run mine without the inner cover since I don't go near any water except for maybe a puddle in the parking lot. Switching to a deans connector and aluminum hubs are the only upgrades I need right away.
__________________
Mike :: Nitro Ace :: Lipo Ace
Losi 8 2.0 :: Losi mini-8 :: Kyosho DBX :: Kyosho DBX 2.0
Vaterra Kalahari powered by Hyperion 3S 2100mah 25C
Nitro Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #430
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 136
Default

hey so you guys are running robinson 0.5mod pinions (RRP 16##) and mini 8ight stock replacement spur gears? Is it a problem that the pitch don't match? I think the mini 8ight spur gears are 48 pitch or something and not 0.5mod, wouldn't it cause quick wear and tear or are the sizes close enough?

and anyone know what weight of shock oil I should use for the stock shocks?
Cirasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #431
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 379
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirasa View Post
hey so you guys are running robinson 0.5mod pinions (RRP 16##) and mini 8ight stock replacement spur gears? Is it a problem that the pitch don't match? I think the mini 8ight spur gears are 48 pitch or something and not 0.5mod, wouldn't it cause quick wear and tear or are the sizes close enough?

and anyone know what weight of shock oil I should use for the stock shocks?
I've heard that owners have been switching out the original 30wt shock oil and using 60wt. Good question on the gear pitch. Maybe like you said the .50 robinson pinion is close enough to the (stock?) .48 modulus. If nothing else I'll just try one and find out.

My car is supposed to be here wednesday.....but sometimes with UPS from california it comes one day early. I'm so ready to shred I'm gonna have to flog the mini-8 in a while today.....ha ha!
__________________
Mike :: Nitro Ace :: Lipo Ace
Losi 8 2.0 :: Losi mini-8 :: Kyosho DBX :: Kyosho DBX 2.0
Vaterra Kalahari powered by Hyperion 3S 2100mah 25C
Nitro Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #432
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,081
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirasa View Post
hey so you guys are running robinson 0.5mod pinions (RRP 16##) and mini 8ight stock replacement spur gears? Is it a problem that the pitch don't match? I think the mini 8ight spur gears are 48 pitch or something and not 0.5mod, wouldn't it cause quick wear and tear or are the sizes close enough?

and anyone know what weight of shock oil I should use for the stock shocks?
I actually think the mini 8ight is also running 0.5 mod gears, which is why the Robinson pinions should be a perfect fit. Disclaimer: I don't have a mini 8ight, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but I did poke around Google a bunch to verify.

48 pitch is close, but I'd stick with 0.5 mod to keep things neat and tight. I should have my RPP pinion soon, I'll let you know how it fits.

As for shock oil, I went with AE 60wt and really like that. I think 70wt would work too. Hell, even 50wt would be better than what comes in them from the factory.
__________________
Team Nervous - It's all fun with toy cars until the first qualifier

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #433
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 3S upgrade from stock Ni-Mh, what gears should I use?

Hello everyone, 1st time post.
I had a 3S 1 amp-hr lipo laying around so I tried it out, OMG! Silly fast with the stock gearing. According to the manual, running 3S one should change the 16 tooth pinon gear to a 10-12 tooth. Does anyone out there have experience with this? Where can I buy these sizes? Can I run it as is and just reduce the throttle setting?
Thanks,
Brian
jatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #434
Tech Adept
 
Stevenator128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 206
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I use 70wt in my shocks and am happy with the performance.
__________________
Srsly, you guys, srsly.
Stevenator128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #435
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 379
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatech View Post
Hello everyone, 1st time post.
I had a 3S 1 amp-hr lipo laying around so I tried it out, OMG! Silly fast with the stock gearing. According to the manual, running 3S one should change the 16 tooth pinon gear to a 10-12 tooth. Does anyone out there have experience with this? Where can I buy these sizes? Can I run it as is and just reduce the throttle setting?
Thanks,
Brian
Welcome to the forum!

You can buy the smaller pinions on the losi mini-8 parts page at Amain hobbies. They may have them on the kemora/kalihari parts pages also.

But you can go slower with the stock nimh battery. You can go slower on 3S using less throttle. But 3S is mostly used to go faster.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...osi-Mini-8ight
__________________
Mike :: Nitro Ace :: Lipo Ace
Losi 8 2.0 :: Losi mini-8 :: Kyosho DBX :: Kyosho DBX 2.0
Vaterra Kalahari powered by Hyperion 3S 2100mah 25C
Nitro Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -8. It is currently 03:30 AM.



SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0