Search
Like Tree10Likes

Vaterra Kemora And Kalahari Offical Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 03:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by duhjun
If you have proof of purchase, still, you want to contact Horizon Hobby and share that story. They might be able to help you.

I've been wondering if the Spur Gear Cover that was made for the Mini 8ight would fit, or could be modified to fit the Kemora/Kalahari. I agree that that part of the car is a serious weak point. Too easy for debris to get between the pinion & spur. I'd be encouraged if Vaterra produced some sort of bolt-on spur/pinion cover, specifically for the Kemora/Kalahari, which would cut down on loose debris in gear section.
https://horizonhobby.quickbase.com/d...cord&fullVer=1

Go there and include photos of your receipt and motor, explain what happened. The same thing happened to me and they sent me a new motor.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by raxford
Go there and include photos of your receipt and motor, explain what happened. The same thing happened to me and they sent me a new motor.
Thanks raxford! I'll do that!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Going to install the Traxxas 380 VXL in my Kemora. Looking to get 60+ on a 3S! :P
Old 08-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Tech Rookie

traxxas 1/16 bodies (rally, mustang, fiesta, tundra) will fit just fine. You will need to redrill body posts. I run the 1/16 Rally body on mine.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Nologicone
Thanks for the reply...I'm still debating if I should convert my m8ight over to the Kalahari.
For some fine tuning options with spring rates, the HPI Pro Linear springs 13mm x 27mm for the Super Nitro RS4 also fit. I'm currently trying out the 6847 blues at 264gf/mm.

The full HPI part number is HPI6847 or 6847 depending upon the retailer.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72
Going to install the Traxxas 380 VXL in my Kemora. Looking to get 60+ on a 3S! :P

I was actually thinking of the Castle 0808 5700kv motor.. but not sure that's much of an upgrade. I don't have much info on the motor that is in there. is it a 2 pole or 4 pole? Doubtful that the controller can handle a 4 pole motor if the fuse 4500 isn't 4 pole..

Looks like the Mini 8ight a-arms from RPM will work fine.. Already put in Mini 8ight turnbuckles and RPM cups..

Stock wheels are junk though.. I ran them once at our local track, barely through one 1800mah 2S pack and the rubber was pealing off the rims.. I reglued, but am replacing them with some HPI 'd compound' tires which will work better on the surface we are running on..
Old 08-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Tech Rookie

I have a new Kalahari and have run several 2S lipo packs worth of time thru it and have noticed that both diffs are leaking badly. I would like to take them apart and clean them up but don't know what weight (cst) oil to put back in them. I've read the whole forum for the Vaterra thread and though the question has been posed several times I've not seen an answer yet. Does anyone have any sugestions?

also another site for wheels and tyres perhaps://aliexpress com/popular/rc-rally-wheels.html
Old 08-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The diffs aren't sealed. So just use a little bit if black grease to coat the gears and you will be fine. Hopefully MIP will offer ball doffs for this...
Old 08-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been gone from rc for a few years and plan on getting a couple kalahari's for me and my son to get back into the hobby. I'm hoping someone could post a link or two of some lipos that will fit. I looked at hobbyking for some budget friendly ones but I'm lost when it comes to them. Nitro was my thing before. I'm not looking for speed, mainly I just want longer run time. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm currently running 2S 1700mAh 20C lipos from Turnigy PRODUCT ID: T1700.2S.20, 100x26.5x20mm (USA warehouse is currently out, though HK has them) with an EC3/XT60 plug adapter (from a set Product ID: 258000081) but they are out of the set currently. They have other wired adapters though PRODUCT ID: 603B-601A. I measure the battery box to be 100x29x19mm so anything that size or smaller should fit.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jvoisin
I was actually thinking of the Castle 0808 5700kv motor.. but not sure that's much of an upgrade. I don't have much info on the motor that is in there. is it a 2 pole or 4 pole? Doubtful that the controller can handle a 4 pole motor if the fuse 4500 isn't 4 pole...
I inquired of Horizon Hobby about that, not only the pole size, but how many turns it had, but they only answered the pole question, as follows:
The DYN4830 is a 2 pole motor. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72
I, for one, would like to see that. Please post up some pics, especially if any special mods were required for the fitting.

I'm waiting on some 3s LiPo's, to see if that will satisfy my power needs. If that doesn't cut it, I'll consider going with a higher amp esc and 4s-compatible, lower KV motor, which should then allow me to run a slightly bigger pinion. I'm currently using an 11t, because of my big Pro-line Dirt Hawgs on Titus 2.2's.
Then again, I don't yet have a 1/10 scale RC, so I may just leave the Kalahari as-is, on the 3s, and focus on getting a monster truck or sct.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking Vaterra Kalahari and losi mini 8 match up questions

I have the Vaterra Kalahari. Now when i was bashing I smacked a post going full out running a 3s lipo and and broke off the left A arm. The arm is broke in half (didn't know it was possible lol) so my question is that if I were to buy the aluminum A arm set for a Losing Mini 8 if it would match up perfect. Also I need a drive shaft (dog bone) as well. I know that the two cars a similar but can't find enough info anyware else to answer my question. Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 08-28-2013, 04:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by theman1224
I have the Vaterra Kalahari. Now when i was bashing I smacked a post going full out running a 3s lipo and and broke off the left A arm. The arm is broke in half (didn't know it was possible lol) so my question is that if I were to buy the aluminum A arm set for a Losing Mini 8 if it would match up perfect. Also I need a drive shaft (dog bone) as well. I know that the two cars a similar but can't find enough info anyware else to answer my question. Any help would be great. Thanks
I have a mini8 and a Vaterra kemora, and I've mesured both suspension arms and mini8's are 10mm longer so you would need to buy the shafts, all the linkage and the shocks (the mini8's are longer) also. I have thougt of doing that also but I would have to tare the mini8 apart or buy all the parts needed and all the parts would cost me about 120€ in the modelsport uk site.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theman1224
Either way, if you're bashing you may not want to have really strong a-arms. Mainly because they will either bend if you crash like that again, or worse, they will hold up and transfer the energy to the chassis and steering. I've been tempted to upgrade certain parts to aluminum but I've always been warned against it.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.