Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor options for 1/16 Slash

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Default Motor options for 1/16 Slash

I have a Brushed 1/16 Traxxas Slash and I've worn out the motor. I want to put in a brushless motor but want to do it on the cheap. The Traxxas VXL option is too expensive. Has anybody tried putting any of the motors available at Hobby King? I already have a lipo ESC. What options do I have besides the VXL?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Ive used Tacon before. Even with the stock ESC. Also, you could look for a brushless out-runner called a scorpion.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

I am running a castle 5700kv 1/10 motor and a sidewinder esc. With uou having the brushed motor in there now a 1/10 brushless will bolt right up and the esc wil fit in the stock location just hold it down with some servo tape. I personally use automotive double sided tape, the grey stuff. Its a ton of fin with all that power on tap.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the help. I also read somewhere that locking the rear diff makes a big difference.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

I have tried locking the rear diff with the silly putty method and didnt like how it drove. I did however bump up the diff oil weight to 70k for the front and rear and I installed the optional center diff with 50k fluid in it and it made a world of difference. I also am running tan springs front and rear along with 5k weight oil in the shocks. I have the preload turned to where the adjustable collar just makes contact with the spring when I have the truck off the ground and the suspaension at full droop. all that seems to work great for my style of driving which is high speed passes, bashing pretty hard, taking some pretty big jumps and have yet to break anything other than popped a ball out of the axle carrier. I had a set of RPM one in the wings waiting to go on as soon as stock broke or got so sloppy that it needed to be done. They are awsome. Along with some adjustable push rods and toe links, and bearings in the rockers, the adjustable toelinks and push rods makes setting up toe in and out and camber and what not very simple which in turn makes handling much better to reduce slop. Another slop reducer I have found was I went with HR aluminum steering and HR steering servo horn, zero slop in the steering now. Love my 1/16 family of 2 Slashs (1 big Block 1 stock brushless), 2 Revos (1 Stock Brushless other is a totaly new buildl one off custom set up for big block just have to get a system for it to be complete), 2 Rallys (Both having MMM Big Blocks) and a NIB WCC Monster Camaro. Fun lil cars that are easy to work on and make go really fast!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

Nice. I'm having an issue with the steering. It doesn't want to center, only if I turn left. I thought the servo saver was rubbing on the guard but that doesn't seem to be it. Any ideas?
Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

im gonna say if its the traxxas mini servo they suck replace that to something more reliable i have burned up a bunch of traxxas mini servos
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

I've got the Hitec servo and I've put in new bearings but it just feels like something is hanging.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:08 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xtreme187
I have tried locking the rear diff with the silly putty method and didnt like how it drove. I did however bump up the diff oil weight to 70k for the front and rear and I installed the optional center diff with 50k fluid in it and it made a world of difference. I also am running tan springs front and rear along with 5k weight oil in the shocks. I have the preload turned to where the adjustable collar just makes contact with the spring when I have the truck off the ground and the suspaension at full droop. all that seems to work great for my style of driving which is high speed passes, bashing pretty hard, taking some pretty big jumps and have yet to break anything other than popped a ball out of the axle carrier. I had a set of RPM one in the wings waiting to go on as soon as stock broke or got so sloppy that it needed to be done. They are awsome. Along with some adjustable push rods and toe links, and bearings in the rockers, the adjustable toelinks and push rods makes setting up toe in and out and camber and what not very simple which in turn makes handling much better to reduce slop. Another slop reducer I have found was I went with HR aluminum steering and HR steering servo horn, zero slop in the steering now. Love my 1/16 family of 2 Slashs (1 big Block 1 stock brushless), 2 Revos (1 Stock Brushless other is a totaly new buildl one off custom set up for big block just have to get a system for it to be complete), 2 Rallys (Both having MMM Big Blocks) and a NIB WCC Monster Camaro. Fun lil cars that are easy to work on and make go really fast!!!
Why did you steal that guys laptop?