Wiki Posts
Search

Help on a RC18b

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 02:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Help on a RC18b

I bought a RC18b at a local pawn shop a couple of days ago. it was missing the speed control. I went out to a local hobbie shop and they sold me a New Novak spy esc. Will this work on the stock motor? it says in the manual up to 280 size motors. But on the spec chart that comes with it in the box it says motor limit 380 4-7 cell. I have been out of the hobbie for a while and need some input weather it will be ok to run in my car. also need a set of crystals for the radio and transmitter for am channel. i am in middle tennessee if anybody is close to me i would like to buy a set. thanks Roy
Old 12-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yes the Spy will work. I used to use one in my 18t with the associated 370 motor back in he day. And in the crystals you should be able to find them at your local hobby shop. Just be sure to get either 27mhz or 75mhz which ever your transmitter calls for. And make sure both of the crystals match.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ttrc8
Yes the Spy will work. I used to use one in my 18t with the associated 370 motor back in he day. And in the crystals you should be able to find them at your local hobby shop. Just be sure to get either 27mhz or 75mhz which ever your transmitter calls for. And make sure both of the crystals match.
Thanks for the info.. Can i get a rebuildable brush motor for it? what do i look for?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

There are a few options on the motor but the best bet is to find a good brushless system kinda cheap. It will save you in the long run where it will last longer. You can get a toro set up from hobbypartz.com for like 50 bucks for the whole set up.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:08 AM
Tech Regular

There are a few options on the motor but the best bet is to find a good brushless system kinda cheap. It will save you in the long run where it will last longer. You can get a toro set up from hobbypartz.com for like 50 bucks for the whole set up.
Thanks for the info.. In the next little bit i converting to lipo..
Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Tech Regular

Actually they are 30 right now for the Esc and motor. And they have gens ace lipid or like 6 bucks a piece. 2cell 1300mah which is pleanty and would last around 45 mins on a charge. Just be sure when you go brushless that you don't get too carried away with the motor unless you want it for just playing and speed runs. Around a 5000kv is perfect.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:58 AM
Tech Regular

Actually they are 30 right now for the Esc and motor. And they have gens ace lipid or like 6 bucks a piece. 2cell 1300mah which is pleanty and would last around 45 mins on a charge. Just be sure when you go brushless that you don't get too carried away with the motor unless you want it for just playing and speed runs. Around a 5000kv is perfect.
Thanks for the info. I will be looking into brushless later on. Right now just trying to get the feel back. it has been a while since i raced. Once i get back into the grove i am defintely looking into brushless. My charger should be here today or wednesday. I found a charger like i used back in the day. Reedy quasar pro. Loved that charger. I plan on useing it for a while untill i go brushless. then i will just keep it for running my bashing cars with brushed motors and nicd packs. Does Reedy make a charger for Lipo's? Anyway thanks for the info..
Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i run a toro system in my rc18mt

25amp esc and a 6100kv, 4-pole motor... was $35 from hobbypartz.com