Community
Wiki Posts
Search

mini 8 vs merv

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If the mini 8ight isn't better than the merv then it is a POS too. After a couple years of merv ownership and finally ditching that bastid I can say it was the biggest waste of money towards rc.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Love em Both, MERV kicks Butt. M8 Rips tracks apart, what's not to love....

My M8 was a flying squirrel until the 20 foot nose dive, lol. The MERV pulls off 15 foot backflips over and over again. One thing about RC is you need to get good at working on them, because they are only as good as your ability to build them. You want to push them to the limits? You have to build them to take it, failure to do so leaves to much frustration and hater-ism towards a platform...
Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rac3rX
One thing about RC is you need to get good at working on them, because they are only as good as your ability to build them. You want to push them to the limits? You have to build them to take it, failure to do so leaves to much frustration and hater-ism towards a platform...
+1
Old 12-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

yeah i built mine into the monsters they are but i can say the mini 8ight didnt nearly cost as much
Old 12-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rustlererad3
yeah i built mine into the monsters they are but i can say the mini 8ight didnt nearly cost as much
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Lil bit of grass ripping at the end showing the MERV is capable.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

I didn't say the mini revo summit I built wasn't tough just a money pit
Old 12-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

I didn't say the mini revo summit I built wasn't tough just a money pit
You can spend very little or quite a bit, the Ball is in your court, YOUR actions do not define the RC. Money Pit? Dont understand, Money Pits constantly break costing you money fixing things breaking left and right. Spending lots of cash to mod ur RC is not a money Pit UNLESS its ALL needed to keep her from breaking. MERV Needs less $$$ than a M8 to bust ass and not break out the BOX, the MERV has vastly more directions it can go being modified where the M8 is extreamly limited and most hop ups simply consist of matirial upgrades, Plastic to Alloy, Plastic to CF etc... MERV can be built to do more than one thing, where the M8 shines on the Track, and thats about it, I have them both, both fully tricked out, Ive had my M8 pretty much since the M8 came out....

The simple fact here is a versitile Basher is getting compared to a dedicated Track Star. Not even apples and oranges, were talking Banana's and grapes...
Old 12-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

well its subjective i guess
Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i had a merv for two years and spent over 1500 dollars tricking it out . between esc motor combos rpm parts and aluminum hopups . it was way more than i wanted to spend but when i was finished i had the sickest merv around . the nue 1110 1/y and mamba max pro alone cost 320. alot for motor esc in mini but i couldnt over heat that thing if i tried . alot of the money was spent on trial and error stuff but when i got it right the truck was amazing .
one issue with the merv was constantly bending drive shafts . i think it had alot to do with the flex in the rpm arms . 8 dollars a piece isnt that bad when thats the only thing i ever had to fix . i used to run my merv at the local bmx track with huge jumps and backflip frt flip them all . i recently sold my merv and took a huge loss but thats the name of the rc game i guess.
the only reason i sold it was because i got the mini 8 . needless to say its fully blinged out and an awesome car for the track. i liked it so much i had to get an eb48 1/8 sale buggy .
as for which one is better id say its up to what u want it for . if u wanna race and have fun at the track i would get the mini 8. if u wanna bash get the merv. they need some kind of hopups but the mini 8 is def cheaper to get track ready. not that u cant spend 6 or 7 hundred hopping up the mini 8. its funny because with the mini 8 im constantly breaking front shock tower witch cost almost the same as the drive shafts i was beding on the merv

as
Old 12-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Another thing I would like to point out is that when people say the mini 8ight is a track car that is very true, BUT when you run the proline desperados with dirt hawgs or rages or any 2.2 rear buggy wheel the mini 8ight can bash just as good if not better than the merv. Wheels size and plushness from the tires has a lot to do with high jumps and hard landings. The dinky stock mini 8ight wheels and tires aren't as helpful for jumping as the merv tires.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

the mini 8ight jumps way better than my revsummit ever did and my mini 8ight is more fun to drive because much more stable at high speeds and on the track
Old 12-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GrimReminder
BUT when you run the proline desperados with dirt hawgs or rages or any 2.2 rear buggy wheel the mini 8ight can bash just as good if not better than the merv. Wheels size and plushness from the tires has a lot to do with high jumps and hard landings. The dinky stock mini 8ight wheels and tires aren't as helpful for jumping as the merv tires.
Do you run 2.2 rear buggy wheels on both the front and back? I'm trying to understand all the rim sizes/measurement Lol looking for good bashing wheel/tire combos. Plus some nice looking "oem size" wheels
Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by McFayy
Do you run 2.2 rear buggy wheels on both the front and back? I'm trying to understand all the rim sizes/measurement Lol looking for good bashing wheel/tire combos. Plus some nice looking "oem size" wheels
Go on prolines racing web site and click on the mini section. They have black desperados wheels for the merv, and those will bolt right on the mini 8ight no problem. They have a nice wide offset on those wheels so mounting and rubbing will not be a problem. With those wheels you can run any 1/10 buggy rear tires. Just gear lower and your all set!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

yeah i run the proline dirt hawgs on mine with no issues other than re gearing
Old 12-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GrimReminder
Go on prolines racing web site and click on the mini section. They have black desperados wheels for the merv, and those will bolt right on the mini 8ight no problem. They have a nice wide offset on those wheels so mounting and rubbing will not be a problem. With those wheels you can run any 1/10 buggy rear tires. Just gear lower and your all set!!!
yeah i run the proline dirt hawgs on mine with no issues other than re gearing
Sweet! Thanks guys!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.