Wiki Posts
Search

mini 8ight vs 1/16 E-revo

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GrimReminder
Check your local hobby store. My lhs sells the mini 8ight for 234.00 plus tax. Online i've only seen them going for 250.00 plus shipping. Your best bet is to pick one up used or get one from your lhs.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiboblitch
You called it. The prices are fixed. The only way to save money would be to buy a used one with the hop ups already added. There are a couple listed in the for sale section of this web site.
Thanks to you too... i may consider getting a vintage mini inferno EP and GP to try out first... mini 8ight looks good though....
Old 08-24-2012, 05:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I have owned both the MERV and the mini 8 and the mini 8 is by far a more durable car in stock form.

I no longer own the MERV however when I did I had put ALOT of money into it and I still got bored. Plenty of power when the VXL doesnt thermal on 3S but show the MERV a very mild corner and you'll be spending more time walking over to flip it over then actually driving.

The mini 8 is by far the better handling rc... Point, Aim, and shoot basically. It does have some minor flaws with some of the plastics being too brittle for the areas they were designed for but these are CHEAP and simple upgrades. I have probably broken about $30 worth of plastic parts with the M8 as opposed to the $100 plus in plastic on the MERV....not mentioning the diffs....outdrives....centre drive shafts. and so on.

At the end of the day its up to you...do a bit of research and watch some vids and you'll decide.

My opinion....Ill never buy Traxxas again after the MERV.

Good luck matey!
Old 08-26-2012, 12:53 AM

I have been watching some vids of the mini 8 and am impressed that it handles as a buggy should but i dont find the amount of chassis slap going on over mild drops appealing. Is there a big bore shock solution to reduce it or is that just its nature?

Is this a compromise that you have to make to keep the centre of gravity low to get around the track flat as opposed the revo vxl that seems to have more suspension travel and soaking ability but rolls around the corners?

Can you decrease the preload on the revo vxl and lower the centre of gravity to help it around corners more like the mini 8?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jestrc
I have been watching some vids of the mini 8 and am impressed that it handles as a buggy should but i dont find the amount of chassis slap going on over mild drops appealing. Is there a big bore shock solution to reduce it or is that just its nature?

Is this a compromise that you have to make to keep the centre of gravity low to get around the track flat as opposed the revo vxl that seems to have more suspension travel and soaking ability but rolls around the corners?

Can you decrease the preload on the revo vxl and lower the centre of gravity to help it around corners more like the mini 8?

Thanks
The only time my chassis slaps the ground is on big jumps. That's why buggies are called ground pounders. You can stand the shocks up or use heavier rated springs, etc. You can do what ever your heart desires to try to get the merv to handle like a mini 8ight but it just isn't going to happen.

you have to remember that what you see in videos can be very misleading. For all you know that in the video, when you saw the chassis slapping the ground over mild bumps and or jumps the driver could possibly have no tuning skills what so ever. When I tune my mini 8ight for bashing and jumping my ramp at home, my buggy doesn't start slapping the ground until I'm six to eight feet in the air. That's with heavy springs and my shocks mounted in the outer holes in the tower and mounted to the inner holes on the a-arms. I have had my mini 8ight as high as thirty feet in the air and as long as I land on all fours I'm money. My old merv would break all the time no matter the upgrades. Mini 8ight all day long bro.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I have both the Merv and the Mini 8ight. I've had my Merv for about a year and a half now, and like all the others above, have spent a good amount of money on upgrades. I recently bought a used mini 8ight, which had a few upgrades already on it. I actually enjoy driving the upgraded Merv much more. It feels like more of a basher, than a racer, and with all of the upgrades, it can make it through most of my bash sessions without any breakage. It was my go to truck, whenever I just wanted to go out and play. (I'm now onto driving 1/5 scale trucks, which I enjoy bashing even more). But I still take the Merv along. I don't drive the Mini 8ight as much, mainly because it feels more like a racer, and it feels like I'm going to break something when I drive it, if that makes sense. I never have broken anything, but I've not really beat on it that much. Mainly just speed runs. The Merv is also faster. The Mini 8ight is probably a very sturdy buggy, and I can find no faults with it, I just prefer my upgraded Merv more. Once again, I'm more of a basher than a racer (I suck at racing).
Old 05-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Tech Rookie

for me i love my revo mostly because i got it for $180 and i can do standing front/back flips lol but the downside is the top arms are pretty weak and not having CVDs as usual piss me off lol
Attached Thumbnails mini 8ight vs 1/16 E-revo-069.jpg  
Old 05-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

I got them both plus I need 2 hands to count the rest in my stable. Given if you bash the MERV hard out the box stuff will break, same with the M8. Although I didnt have to change my TX/RX right away with the MERV as I had to with the M8 (I got the M8 when it came out) and Ive broken the M8 easier in stock trim. shocks broke the first roll, servo never goes straight, even after mods and a different servo, its not like the set it and forget it MERV. M8 eats stock tires on the street like a Ethiopian in a all you can eat buffet. Broke the front bulk, bent the chassis, blah blah blah, my hooked up MERV just keeps on trucking.

Standing Backflips, sick wheelies, and insane top speed..... Unless your racing, MERV is the mini Bash King, BUT the M8 is the New Hot Thing so MUCH over rated hype surrounding it.

On the other hand, its not even a fair fight, the M8 is not just competing in this topic against a MERV, its competing with the MERV, the Rally, the Summit, the Slash, and even the NASCAR Kyle Bush truck... The 1/16 platform is quite versatile, and you can make any one into any other with a handful of parts. Not to forget 1/10 esc and motor... Keeping in mind the MERV has no intentions of being a "racing" rig to even meet up with a M8 in its element "The Track", it doesn't pretend to be a racer HOWEVER with the right wheels tires and set up, it will lap a track just fine although not as quick as a M8.

Last edited by Rac3rX; 05-18-2013 at 02:15 PM.