Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Traxxas vs. Losi 1/16 SCT for child >

Traxxas vs. Losi 1/16 SCT for child

Traxxas vs. Losi 1/16 SCT for child

Old 07-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Traxxas vs. Losi 1/16 SCT for child

I am hoping for some insight from others who may have been in this similar situation. I am looking to buy either a Traxxas 1/16 SCT 2wd or a Losi 1/16 SCT 2wd. I am looking at the basic RTR setups. I am planning on purchasing this for my soon to be 5 year old son for his birthday. He has no previous RC experience but I have some, I have a full size Slash 4x4. I really like both trucks. The huge advantage for the Traxxas is the "Training Mode" on the ESC. Other than that, it is more money, has a 27 mHz radio, and a brushed motor. The Losi is less, comes with a 2.4gHz radio and is brushless. Sounds like a no-brainer, but I am worried that the Losi will be too fast. Has anyone had any experience in slowing down the Losi? I'd like to do it without a gear change because I think the extra torque would also make it hard to drive for a 5 year old. Can the ESC be reprogrammed to only allow a certain speed? Can the stock radio be trimmed back so that it limits max throttle? I would really appreciate any info you might have on this.

Thanks
Brandon
Old 07-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

AFAIK Traxxas doesnt make a 2wd Slash only a 4wd that is based on the Mini REVO chassis . Thats said I would get the Mini Slash , once tuned its a pretty good chassis IMO . IDK much about the Losi except its 2wd and has a metal gear diff . I did get to see one run on a track and it ran well , but for a beginner the 4wd and training mode of the Mini Slash will be better . You may want to get the Mini Slash VXL with the brushless system as the training mode is slow enough for a child to learn on IMO ...
Old 07-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Tech Addict

The slash will be better because it's 4wd the brushed is plenty for a beginner prepare to buy some rpm LOL
Old 07-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem
AFAIK Traxxas doesnt make a 2wd Slash only a 4wd that is based on the Mini REVO chassis .
Ahh! Thank You. I guess I didn't realize that that was a 4wd. That makes a big difference to me. I'm definitly leaning towards the Slash again!