Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Merv Build Help. Need Some input. >

Merv Build Help. Need Some input.

Merv Build Help. Need Some input.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Merv Build Help. Need Some input.

OK So I just picked up my first MERV and I want to get some electronics for it. It already has aluminum push and steering rods, GTR shocks, steel CVDs, Tenbol and stock motor mounts, wheely bar, RPM arms and bumpers so its ready for some real power. Im thinking about a Castle 4600kv cm36 motor as it can handle 4s if I want to get crazy. But Im not 100% positive its the best choice so anyone with some MERV experience is welcome to make recommendations! I have an SCTE and a BigBlock 1/10th scale revo so I am familiar with 99% of electronics on the market so should I get hobbypartz or Nue Cost isnt the biggest factor I want to get something that works great!! Also any servo advice is welcome!!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I have always felt that putting in a 540 motor in a MERV is a bad idea as it raises the cg and puts a lot of stress on the driveline . The stock motor is plenty fast on 2s and is ballistic on 3s . I would find a stock vxl motor and get a hobbywing 60a ESC .

Last edited by BashemSmashem; 07-03-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem
I have always felt that putting in a 540 motor in a MERV as it raises the cg and puts a lot of stress on the driveline . The stock motor is plenty fast on 2s and is ballistic on 3s . I would find a stock vxl motor and get a hobbywing 60a ESC .
+1 its plenty fast but the VXL escs are known to be...how do I put this politely....twitchy on 3S LOL youhave no idea how many rear diff you'll go through on a 540 and CM36 motors are kind of hard to find new the 1406 is just so much more popular do you have a CM36? In 4600kv I'd be interested if it you were to list it on ebay....sorry for off topic

With the small scale it really looks much faster than 50
Old 07-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Yep, can get 60+ with the stock motor on 3s if geared correctly and it isnt crazy hot outside. And new tires.

If you plan on driving in snow or water, getting a nice set of stainless steel screws will be well worth the cost. It is expensive, but fewer headaches from the cheap screws they include.

A new servo is also a good idea. The stock one burns out quick for some people. I am lucky and have had mine for over a year with no issues. But it could use a more powerful servo.

If you dont plan on driving in water, then a new screw set is still a good idea for some higher quality screws. Dont need to be stainless steel. Just replace the stock with the new when you are fixing it.

Rpm a arms and front bumper. The stock bumper (skid) is useless and the wheels actually hit before the bumper does.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

After owning a Merv vxl with basically most of it modded and with a tenbol motor mount and 6000kv 540 motor I did not like it. Yeah it was fast, but no fun because the CoG was raised sooo much by the motor as soon as you showed it a corner, it would flip.

I had more fun with the 380 vxl and upgraded esc. But if you are curious about it then try it.

Good luck
Old 07-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Tech Addict

OK well thanks for the advice. I was kinda thinking 540 might be too much for everyday use. I did see some wheel wideners on EBay. That might help with keeping it from flipping. Also has anyone used Roll bars? I usually install them on all my offroad Cars.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

A roll cage just adds un needed weight IMO , on a nitro you are protecting the cooling head , but an electric doesnt need it .

You dont need the wheel spacers either , just get the Traxxas 2.2 wheels for the MERV or wheels for the Ofna BBT mini truggy they are like 1/4 inch offset and make the truck plenty wide . The stock tires are pretty much just basher tires and are pretty useless off road IMO .
Old 07-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah I meant to say sway bars not roll bars. I did some research in the mean time and found that only one company offers the sway bars and they cost like 40.00. Which is kinda BS. I'm guessing they don't help that much or their would be more after market support of them. Well I think I have maybe come to a decision on the motor....and it is...Kinda lame lol I think I will just get both. I have heard good things about the hobbywing 380 can and I still want to try a 540 can so I think which ever I find a good deal on first Ill pick up and get the other whenever I find a good deal on it. I still haven't made my mind up on the ESC but Im looking for something around 70A+ and hopefully has sensor capabilities.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Tech Addict

Also has anyone had any experience with after market Rockers? What Rockers perform the best I think they offer progressive and a few other options? I dont like a bouncy Truck I like a "sporty/aggressive" feel. I also would like to know what material works the best? Aluminum Delrin titanium Plastic? Also anyone have some input on the hubs? Im thinking Aluminum but I also have thought about maybe RPM. I do have CVD's if that matters.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

RPM everything you can!!! stay away from aluminum on this truck its not necessary and adds weight as far rockers I believe ball bearings are available I will say RPM a arms are the best upgrade on my merv but weirdly I haven't broken the back one side yet
Old 07-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Tech Addict

If you don't need sensored capability a castle sidewinder SV2 will do you good for an ESC
To make it fit you mount it sideways (LOL)

ESC http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...inder_sv2.html
Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWUAjqHvznY

Sidewinder SV2 escs can be found online brand new for $60
Old 07-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

The Hobbywing 60amp ESC will be more then enough to run a 540 motor in the MERV and has a pretty small footprint .

As for rockers , stay with the stock ones and get some aluminum push rods and toe links and steel hollowballs . RPM a arms are a must but I would get GPM aluminum hubs and not RPM as they will get sloppy quickly like the stockers do . You can also get the revised pillow ball inserts from traxxas that screw into the stock hubs to take out the slop .

The GPM shocks are OK but the springs are pretty stiff , but thet are better than stock IMO .
Old 07-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

I have alum push rods and toe links already. And RPM everything all arms both bumpers and it has a wheelie bar that I think is also RPM. I have the Red arms and red push rods. I also have the aluminum GTR shocks with black springs.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

I need some help getting a ESC for my Merv. So I bought a Sidewinder and fried it before I even got it installed...I hate myself for that one..it was my fault I tried to build my own parallel connector and some how I reversed the polarity. So I sent my sidewinder into Castle who was so kind to inform me(its been over a week since I shipped it) that they are "out" of stock on sidewinders and it will be at least one month before they get any in stock...I mean come on...really...So my question is can anyone tell me if the Hobbywing 35a ESC will do the job until I get my sidewinder back? says it will handle 3s and will work on 10th scale so it seems like it should be fine. Just the 35a that worries me.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/hobbywing-...hless-esc.html
Old 08-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Tech Addict

The vxl3m is a 52a esc I'm gonna say no to that 35a like bashem smashem said get the 60a http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-60a-...-1-10-car.html you can repurpose it in a 1/10 2wd when you get your sidewinder back did you get 540

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.