Mom wants r/c

Old 06-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default Mom wants r/c

Yes, my mom would like to get one because she uses my wraith all the time. It's going to be a surprise gift tbh, she does alot for me and I would like to do something for her. It will just be used in the parking lot and on some short grass. New to minis, I owned a rc18mt awhile ago but don't remember much of it at all. Anyways I narrowed it down to these, can get both for $129. Unless there is something better?

Losi mini desert truck (upgraded smash correct?)

or

Rc18mt

She did like the recon but read it was not good at all.

Thanks rctech members
Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

I would avoid the recon....... Actually the Desert truck is based on the mini T platform (2003) mini t is discontinued the ECX SMASH. Is a downgraded mini t. Using AAs avoid smash do you need 4WD? Personally I'd get the DT but 4WD may be easier to handle for someone new also parts will be easier to find for the DT since the mini t was one of the most popular minis ever however so has the Rc18 it really comes down to Low weight bigger 4wd heavier To sum it up Light 2WD vs Heavy 4WD for her I'd get the Rc18 but if she has experience The DT hope this helps
Old 06-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

what did people hate so much about the recon? I almost pulled the trigger and bought one many times, but always found something else to get instead of yet another rc car.

I have the micro dt and it is a pretty cool truck. The mini is probably a lot better.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know it's an old thread, but I feel obligated to defend the Recon for those who come upon this thread later.

As far as I know, the Recon's bad rep comes from the fact that it's nearly an exact copy of the Megatech Pro Pulse that Radioshack used to carry. The thinking goes that the Pro Pulse was an RC18 knock-off, so the Recon must be bad too. And the Pro Pulse was only $50, so its a ripoff to have to pay $100. The catch with the PP, was that you had to pay another $30 for the battery and charger.

The Recon comes fully RTR with a 2.4GHz radio, much better than the FM one the PP came with. The price difference is more than accounted for.

Comparison to the Mini Desert Truck

I had the Mini Desert Truck too. It was great at first, but the motor and AM radio gave out after fewer than 10 runs. The servo was a joke, it had bushings rather than ball bearings, and cost $130 box stock. It took $$$ (new radio, new esc, new motor, new servo, ball bearing kit, new shocks) to get the Mini DT in good working order. Even then, the Recon was faster, and more durable right out of the box.

Bottom line

The Recon might not be better than the RC18 (I don't know, I don't own and RC18), but I'd have a hard time recommending the Mini Desert Truck over it. Not to say the Mini DT is bad, it's just in dire need of an update, and as it is now, still at $130, there's plenty of better value out there.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

My brother bought the mini Recon and it is a POS. What can you expect for that low of a price? Almost anything you get is going to be lacking in some area and the question then will be if it's worth putting any more money into it. Maybe your Mom would rather you give her $130 towards a better vehicle.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Skiboblitch
My brother bought the mini Recon and it is a POS. What can you expect for that low of a price? Almost anything you get is going to be lacking in some area and the question then will be if it's worth putting any more money into it. Maybe your Mom would rather you give her $130 towards a better vehicle.
Most of the ECX vehicles are about that price range. My friends dad has the buggy and it handles like my friends b4.1. I havent seen very many negative things about the ecx vehicles other than parts support is a bit lacking in hobby shops, but is great online. The ruckus seems to be what would be good for her if she wants to get over things such as the curb.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

If she's used to driving your Wraith, a mini might be under whelming.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Addict

The ECX boost seems good jang gave it a very positive review it'll be faster than the wraith but not too crazy and its completely ready to run
http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...ProdID=ECX3000
Old 07-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Regular

That does look pretty nice.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

The ruckus would get over a lot of what the wraith would.
http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...ProdID=ECX2000

The circuit is kind of in between as the stadium truck.
http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...ProdID=ECX1100

The torment is probably the most durable, but might not get over much compared to the other two. But at its $170 price tag it does come with a spektrum radio and receiver.
http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...ProdID=ECX4000

I dont imagine she is going to be racing, so the boost is kind of so so IMO. I have seen it on the track with a good BL system in it, and it will handle pretty well. But if she like driving your wraith, the ruckus is the closest option from ecx rc.

Edit: just realized this was in the mini/micro section. D'oh!

Last edited by nerdyrcdriver; 07-17-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiboblitch
I wasn't saying the Recon is top quality; just that it's better than the pro pulse and a better value than the mini DT. Losi's AM radio is a cruel thing to do to a first time RCer. For roughly the same price as the Mini DT, the RC18T2 is a much better value. But if money is tight, the Recon is nothing to be avoided for a beginner.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nerdyrcdriver
The ruckus would get over a lot of what the wraith would.
http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...ProdID=ECX2000

The circuit is kind of in between as the stadium truck.
http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...ProdID=ECX1100

The torment is probably the most durable, but might not get over much compared to the other two. But at its $170 price tag it does come with a spektrum radio and receiver.
http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...ProdID=ECX4000

I dont imagine she is going to be racing, so the boost is kind of so so IMO. I have seen it on the track with a good BL system in it, and it will handle pretty well. But if she like driving your wraith, the ruckus is the closest option from ecx rc.

Edit: just realized this was in the mini/micro section. D'oh!
Its gotten so off topic it doesn't matter
Old 07-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Hey DogSpoon,
My friends and I have had a pretty poor experience with the entry level vehicles ($100.00 - $150.00). If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have spent the money on it and used that money towards a better vehicle. The best way to start out may be to buy a good solid platform vehicle and then upgrade from there.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Suspended

Buy her a Wraith of her own... DUH!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

You know who else wants an rc..........your mom!!!!!! Haha but ecx vehicles look like a good choice.