Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Does anyone drive 1/18 scale on-road anymore? >

Does anyone drive 1/18 scale on-road anymore?

Does anyone drive 1/18 scale on-road anymore?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Mine has been on the shelf for 11months...I'm going try and run it this month a couple of times at the two races that a semi close to me... I just can't seem to part with the dang things....I guess since its the class that started me into RC.... must be the reason
Old 03-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Fajita Dave
I've been looking through so many forums lately and it seems like 1/18 scale on-road is pretty much dead. I'm just wondering if this is true or if they are all hiding in a basement somewhere? I really think 1/18 scale on-road cars like the XRay M18 are the best platforms for excellent racing at a cheap price and in a reasonably sized area without needing a huge track.

If you race on-road 1/18 scale show us your tracks and how you race on it!!!

I'll post some video but I don't have enough posts on this forum to submit a URL yet.
Tell Pat & Adam, Neal says hi! LOL
Old 03-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
Our race this past Saturday had 63 entries split between oval, inroad including a heat of m18s. The rest were primarily BRP. We have another race on the 31st which should be even bigger. Check norcarracing.com for details.
So what were the results may I ask. Which on road platform did the best?
How did the lap times of the Xray M18 compare to the other platforms? In particular the ones using similar motors and batteries?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imjonah
So what were the results may I ask. Which on road platform did the best?
How did the lap times of the Xray M18 compare to the other platforms? In particular the ones using similar motors and batteries?
Speaking to road course only. Motors were equal between the M18's and the BRP pan cars. Both ran 3100kv motors and no timing on the speedos. M18's ran open gearing where the BRP cars ran a fixed gear, batteries were open with the X-Ray and spec with the BRP, so there was a lot of speed to be had for the X-Ray, hence the reason they aren't run together. Given that formula the X-Rays are faster. That said at our race last Saturday, a fellow racer, who happens to be pro-level, showed that a well set up Raptor pan car was easily as quick as me with the X-Ray. Based on owning both, the X-Ray is a much easier car to get a decent set-up, and it should be as one chassis is $225 while my BRP cost me $70. This isn't to say that the BRP isn't quality or race-worthy. When set-up with a little care they are fantastic. Apples and oranges really.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

Speaking to road course only. Motors were equal between the M18's and the BRP pan cars. Both ran 3100kv motors and no timing on the speedos. M18's ran open gearing where the BRP cars ran a fixed gear, batteries were open with the X-Ray and spec with the BRP, so there was a lot of speed to be had for the X-Ray, hence the reason they aren't run together. Given that formula the X-Rays are faster. That said at our race last Saturday, a fellow racer, who happens to be pro-level, showed that a well set up Raptor pan car was easily as quick as me with the X-Ray. Based on owning both, the X-Ray is a much easier car to get a decent set-up, and it should be as one chassis is $225 while my BRP cost me $70. This isn't to say that the BRP isn't quality or race-worthy. When set-up with a little care they are fantastic. Apples and oranges really.
Hi Chuck,
We missed ya at the Toledo track on the 18th......man, you would have had a blast. 84 entries. We could only do two qualifiers so all of the out of towners could get home at a reasonable time. Can't wait to attend this weekend (31st) at the Gate. My M18 is reeeeeeeally ready to rock and roll with everyone. Geoff has the "DB Edition" chassis too in his M18 and we ran two seconds apart all 3 rounds of qualifying and the main last time I ran at the Gate 3 weeks ago. Needless to say, we had a blast. The Toledo gang: Rich Mickle, Dave Willey, Matt Hackman and myself will be attending. See you Saturday.
Dave Berry
Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 52 (96%+)

TQ Raceway in Chino runs a 18r class, i picked up 2 cars !!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Initiate

It just seems to difficult to find anywhere or even anything about 1/18 scale on-road. It seems like its just about entirely off-road which is why I made this thread. Well its good to see people still supporting the on-road side of it. I'd like for XRay to keep making the M18 or for someone to make a vehicle in the same class!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Heres some video of our racing. Its a bit out dated and we normally have 5-6 cars racing at once. Since this was a slow race day with 4 people we made some video instead.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Heres another one that I just loaded to youtube (it took 45mins to load this 49 second video!). It was pretty sloppy with me flipping over on the first lap and someone else getting a DNF later in the race.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by all4fun
Hi Chuck,
We missed ya at the Toledo track on the 18th......man, you would have had a blast. 84 entries. We could only do two qualifiers so all of the out of towners could get home at a reasonable time. Can't wait to attend this weekend (31st) at the Gate. My M18 is reeeeeeeally ready to rock and roll with everyone. Geoff has the "DB Edition" chassis too in his M18 and we ran two seconds apart all 3 rounds of qualifying and the main last time I ran at the Gate 3 weeks ago. Needless to say, we had a blast. The Toledo gang: Rich Mickle, Dave Willey, Matt Hackman and myself will be attending. See you Saturday.
Dave Berry
Sounds like you guys put on a great race. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the race on the 31st. With the nicer than normal weather all the normal warm weather activities are starting early. May pick up racing again this winter. If so I'll see you then. Have a good summer and good luck on the 31st!!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

Sounds like you guys put on a great race. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the race on the 31st. With the nicer than normal weather all the normal warm weather activities are starting early. May pick up racing again this winter. If so I'll see you then. Have a good summer and good luck on the 31st!!
WHAT!! Your not going to attend? We've all been looking forward to this race for over a month now. Heck, we've got a longer than normal summer ahead of us this year too, for out door stuff. Somebody told me it was suppose to snow on the 31st. Just doing my best Chuck, to try to have you come out and have fun for one of the last big indoor 1/18th races of the year. Hope you can come out Chuck......you will definately be missed if you don't.
Dave
Old 04-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by PierreV
Man I miss M18 onroad racing. Unfortunately I troll more then anything now... Still fully geared up with two full cars hopped to death, all parts x 1000, full of NIB foams, 3 or 4 unpainted bodies....All I need is a local class...tried and failed too many times. Unfortunatly it's the only rc these days I'd get back into given kids and life occupy all my time.

I just put them back up ready to go with all electronics! Still run them in the basement on my makeshift track...

I miss the Pottbellies ECC days in PA...Driving down with a few buddies (Max and Kosta) and coordinating with the Montreal crew... Meeting up with Tim Haskins who's be burning NIMH packs till 3 or 4 in the morning in our room...

DaveB, good to see you guys are still going strong in your neck of the woods.

Great memories.
OMG Pierre, you are still alive We live in the same city and our way went differently over the last last. I still have 2X 1/18 M18 pro car ready to roll. I also have a 1/10 car all equiped.

However, family, weekend hockey with kid, track too far from my home...all kind of excuse has put me away from the track.

Today I was looking at rctech for the first time in 3 or 4 months if not more. Before I used to be here all the time.

yeah racing at Pottbellies was the best.

I hope that one day I will be able to race again or I should say take the time to race.

Pierre, we should rent a basement, once a month and race our little M18 modded car
Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Default 1/18th scale racing

Originally Posted by PierreV
Man I miss M18 onroad racing. Unfortunately I troll more then anything now... Still fully geared up with two full cars hopped to death, all parts x 1000, full of NIB foams, 3 or 4 unpainted bodies....All I need is a local class...tried and failed too many times. Unfortunatly it's the only rc these days I'd get back into given kids and life occupy all my time.

I just put them back up ready to go with all electronics! Still run them in the basement on my makeshift track...

I miss the Pottbellies ECC days in PA...Driving down with a few buddies (Max and Kosta) and coordinating with the Montreal crew... Meeting up with Tim Haskins who's be burning NIMH packs till 3 or 4 in the morning in our room...

DaveB, good to see you guys are still going strong in your neck of the woods.

Great memories.
Hi PierreV.....And how, on the great memories. I also miss the racing at the Nat's at the old RCMadness bldg in Conneticut. Man, that was a fun place to race at!! Just so you know, I believe the next ECC will hopefully will be at: MiddleRiverHobbies in Maryland next winter. Gordon, the Store owner, will more than likely post dates on the race close to the beginning of the upcoming winter indoor season, if he still plans to host the race. His screen name is: "hobbieguyz". Gordon also has one of the best supply of M18 parts in the country....especially all the "must have" parts too! I'm definately planning on going to his ECC race next winter along with guys from the Toledo track ( where I race at ) and hopefully the gang from the "Gate" in Brunswick Ohio, near Cleveland. Would be great if you could make it too.
Dave Berry
Old 04-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey guys I'm hoping someone can help me out. I just got an m18 pro to put my min-t brushless system into and I'm having a hard time finding a 150mm shell. I was wondering if anyone had extras laying around they would sell. I'm also still on the hunt for a reasonably priced pro motor mount. I hate that they no longer make truck or corvette bodies
Old 04-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Is it really that hard to get 1:18 stuff in the US?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.