Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Mini SCT almost rolling chassis build

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Losi Mini SCT almost rolling chassis build

I picked up a MSCT chassis nearly complete minus electronics, body and wheels. Will document the transfer of parts from the donor and the new parts as I get them.

I have a Mini Desert Truck that I rarely drive that I am using as a donor vehicle to help complete the MSCT. The wheels/tires, electronics and shocks are being moved over.

The tires in the image were some spare Mini T's I had laying around that I mounted, to stop the drive pins from continually falling out.

Mini Desert Donor vehicle with RC18MT tires mounted on Mini T wheels.

MSCT chassis, the rear end was completely disassembled and I used the Losi breakaway documentation to put it back together. It has the ball diff in it which I didn't want but it is at least in good shape. The only missing parts of the chassis are the gear cover and the front ladder piece.

First transfer - the wheels and tires. I don't have the original MSCT wheels but I think these are similar in height. I will eventually get the correct ones but for now these will do.

NEXT Transfer will be the electronics.

Last edited by Gigasipke; 11-23-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

ELECTRONICS TRANSFER

The electronics being transfered from my MiniDT:

Sidewinder Micro ESC
Castle 6800kv Brushless motor (CM2068)
Spektrum DSP75 servo
Spektrum 3500 Micro Receiver
Losi 1650mah 2S Lipo battery

Here are a couple more shots of the tires. They clear everything as far as the hubs and steering. I will know if they clear the body once I get it.

The rear shocks that came with the MSCT are not standard. The shock body is a lot longer then normal. They are going to be replaced with the ones from the MiniDT, but I just wonder what they came off of.

I have driven it around the house and found that the steering is coming apart. Until I get the front ladder it will remain parked. But it ripped around the house nicely. Even with the steering linkages coming apart is steers much better then the MiniDT. I could never get the MiniDT to maintain center while driving. Although it is the same servo the steering center does not drift around on the MSCT. Time will tell, once it is complete and I can drive it outside.

UP Next: Shocks
Old 11-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

SHOCKS

I didn't document the shock install just the after pictures.
I had a set of blue shock bodies that I added to the shocks. They needed a rebuild anyway so it was the perfect time.

NEXT INSTALL:
I also picked up the remaining parts to complete the truck

LOSB1323 Rockstar: Trim Scheme Painted Body Set : MSCT
LOSB1856 Body Post/Gear Cover Set: MSCT
LOSB1853 Front/Rear Ladder & Mount Set

Old 11-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Installing the new parts

I started by installing the Front Ladder from LOSB1853 Front/Rear Ladder & Mount Set. I now have some extra parts which is always nice.

During the install I figured out why the steering was falling apart. The previous owner must have driven it with the ladder missing for a while because the front kick plate mounting holes for the steering shafts had ovaled out. I had a new one out of my Mini T spare parts toolbox so I installed it at the same time as the front ladder. The steering is now nice and predictable.

Installed the gear cover, but after I worked out the slipper. The esc/motor combo caused it to slip a ton. I had to tighten it down more then usual to stop the slipping.

Now the best part, the body. The RC18MT tires look pretty good. They also clear the fenders at full compression.

I took the truck to the outdoor track and the rear tires didn't do very well. The track is dampish and it clogged the tires rather quickly. Also those rear tires are pretty worn from being on the Mini DT for a few years of driving. I will eventually pick up the stock MSCT fronts and go with the Eclipse on Stock wheels for the back.

Here's a couple shots as a size comparison with my SC10.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The broad tires look mean! Makes my stock tires look skinny.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah they do look pretty mean, I hope to get the front stock tires pretty soon and will have side by side comparison pics. I think they about the same height though.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Regular

Took the truck to the outdoor track. The RC18MT tires are pretty worn out especially the rears. They do work great on the pavement though, for those of you that may be looking for tires to use on the street.

Heres a couple dirty pics of it after driving.

Picked up the Stock Front MSCT tires.
The roller did come with the black rings though so I will be running those. The red just doesn't work well with the Rockstar Body.

Size comparison between the RC18MT tires and the MSCT tires.

Height/Diameter is virtually the same. The MT's are mounted to Mini-T wheels. The MT tire is quite a bit wider though. I also ran the MT tires on a clay indoor track and they seemed to run fine except for the lack of traction on the rears.

I ordered the rears wheels and a set of the MSCT Eclipse tires. Hopefully they will give me the rear traction that I need.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Tech Adept

Looking good! do you have a picture from the side of the tires side by side, just wondering because I ordered some alloy mini t wheels and will probably go with the tires you have also, i'm stripping the stock rims out with the 11.1V lipo so time to try something else.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 1gnR/T
Looking good! do you have a picture from the side of the tires side by side, just wondering because I ordered some alloy mini t wheels and will probably go with the tires you have also, i'm stripping the stock rims out with the 11.1V lipo so time to try something else.
I can get a side by side shot from the side for you. I will take one tonight.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Tech Adept

Sounds good, thanks
Old 12-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Tech Regular

Here is the side shot - Stock MSCT tires left, RC18MT tires center, Eclipse MSCT tires on the right, these I just picked up. The Eclipse is a little shorter.

Laying down

Just the New Eclipse Eye Candy, the Eclipse tires are a lot softer then stock. Probably wouldn't last long on the street but should tear up the dirt.

Almost Fully fitted MSCT

I still have CVD's and titanium turnbuckles from the donor MiniDT that I need to transfer.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for pics. Are those rims off the mini desert truck metal?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 AM
Tech Adept

Wow, good thing you changed out those tires; much more time with mini AE logos spinning on a Losi truck might have created a space-time wormhole or something...

Great looking truck!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by adanmtxt1
Wow, good thing you changed out those tires; much more time with mini AE logos spinning on a Losi truck might have created a space-time wormhole or something...

Great looking truck!
Maybe that's why it kept being attracted to every other truck on the track.

Originally Posted by 1gnR/T
Thanks for pics. Are those rims off the mini desert truck metal?
No the Mini Desert Truck rims are not metal. They are plastic with a metallic coating. However any metal Mini-T wheel will fit.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

I ordered the alloy mini t wheels because the stockers were getting rounded out, I would like to go with the ae tires you have on them.