Wiki Posts
Search

Need help slowing down a Micro-T

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)
Default Need help slowing down a Micro-T

I know its not what most people want to do, but I have a 8'x8' track that I built on top of our pool table to be able to run on during the winter (good practice time for my wife and 7 year old). However the little guy is just to fast for them ..... almost to fast for me on that track. I would like to figure out how to slow them donw a bit so its easier for them to learn on. WITHOUT spending a large sum of money

I thought about putting in the micro rock crawler motor, but according to Amain they are the same motor

Please help. It is currently all stock
Old 11-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Can you adjust the amount to max throttle on the radio? Adjust the end point on the throttle so that max throttle pull on the trigger only equals about 1/2 throttle?

I dont think the RTR 27mhx radio has end point adjustment for the throttle...
Old 11-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

I dont think I can do that with the stock radio .... there is your standard throttle and steering trim, then another knob that adjusts how much servo travel there is but nothing to limit the motor at least not that I am aware of.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the only thing i can think of is physically limiting the amount of travel on the trigger by using a spacer between the trigger and grip handle,.. Fold up a peice of paper and tape it to the grip handle right behind the trigger?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

^^
what he said

If you happen to have another compatible radio (I think it is just 27mhz right?) that has a setting for throttle, I would try that. I can look around at my remotes and see if any of mine do. If one does, then I will try it out with the micro desert truck to see if it makes a difference.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the input guys ... I dont have any other AM radios so I am going to go home and see what it will take to limit the trigger with with duct tape or something lol. I will get pictures up of the track to .... it will be even more of a blast if the trucks only went about half speed and you could control them lol.

The whole point of this idea is to help my 7 year old learn how to drive without hitting the pipe so slow is good lol.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:45 AM
Tech Rookie

I run mine on 1S Lipos, longer runtimes and a bit slower.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If you need a different radio that could turn down the throttle try the Flysky GT3-B.... on sale at hobbypartz.com for 10% off right now... ~$35
Old 11-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bugger234
If you need a different radio that could turn down the throttle try the Flysky GT3-B.... on sale at hobbypartz.com for 10% off right now... ~$35
I have lots of other radios the problem is that in order to change the radio you have to change the esc, and servo as well in the micro its all one unit and its just a practice truck for the winter

What I did was fold up a peice of paper (about the size of a dime and made it thick enough to keep the truck slow enough, used some duct tape and taped it to the radio so the trigger has a hard stop now, did the same for reverse ... works great, still enough speed ot make it fun, but slow enough for the 7 year old to learn on.

She is making loads better with only a couple packs thru it ... think its working
Old 11-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Tech Adept

Yep turn down the throttle.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1gnR/T
Yep turn down the throttle.
Thats all great if the stock radio allowed you to do that
Old 11-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Littlejohn Dsgn
Thats all great if the stock radio allowed you to do that
John,

We had several people on microtforum.com ask to do the same thing for their kids to practice with. Putting paper or a screw was usually the easiest most affordable answer every time. I wouldn't even suggest to change the pinion as the problem on the smaller tracks is never really the top end or torque discussion it is usually the average speed of the T being uncontrollable for beginners in a relatively small space.

Glad you got your answer earlier. I hope you and your family have a blast with the Ts this winter.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

We are having a blast with it now, my daughter is getting better every day and my wife .... well lets just say she needs a big truck in a big field with nothing she might run into lol.