Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 1/18 Baja Bug

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Losi 1/18 Baja Bug

Hey guys, I am new to this. I am looking to put a brushless system in my Losi 18b and was wondering if the Traxxas Velineon VXL-3M Waterproof 1/16 Scale Brushless Power System would work even though it is 1/16?
Old 11-01-2011, 02:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Yep, that system will work. Your buggy uses a 370/380 size motor and that is the same size as the velineon system.

Ask any questions you have on here, you'll find lots of great info
Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Awesome, Thanks for your help. In your opinion is that a good setup for me if i want to have a waterproof brushless system?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I run a 2040 4120Kv motor in my Mini LST2, and IMO, that is ALMOST too much power for the truck!
I can just imagine the truck with the much larger VXLm motor.
I just have an image in my head of the drivetrain ripping itself apart.
Unless you have done a lot of upgrades to the drivetrain, I would suggest starting with a smaller motor.
You can still use the VXL3M ESC to have waterproof, but try this motor first on the stock gearing(mine was 25/54 when I got it) it's perfect.
You want a heatsink with a fan though.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m03-car-2040-4120.html

With that gearing, and that motor on 2S, my MLST reaches speeds faster than a stock Slash 2WD (measured against my dad's Slash)
I wouldn't feel comfortable driving the truck any faster than that, it's really heavy for it's size.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Rookie

I did end up buying the vxl system. The guys at the local hobby shop said it should bolt right into my mini baja bug, but when i got it home the size of the motor was bigger in every way! I was so set on the system though so i had to make it fit. I ended up having to take as much material as i could off the back of the gear box as well as modifying the motor mount plate. The other problem i ran into was that the metal pinions i bought were for the stock setup, and the vxl motor has an 1/8 inch shaft. So i got out the drill and drilled them out to 1/8... This worked alright, but the pinions only lasted about two batt. packs a piece because when the were drilled out there was at most .5mm of material left holding the mounting part of the pinion to the part that actually has teeth. So a little research and I was able to find that Novak's aluminum pinions for the mini crawler have the same thread pitch and also had the 1/8 hole. Now, as it is now, it is INCREDIBLE, the thing is SO fast and tourqey. It is the most fun in sand and snow by far, but the pure speed on pavement is addicting for sure! Thanks for the tips