Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI's new 1/18th Monster Truck- The Mini Recon

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Any idea on what aftermarket batteries I can use. I hate to recharge each time, an extra battery will help. Is it possible to rebind the ESC with half power?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcindia
Any idea on what aftermarket batteries I can use. I hate to recharge each time, an extra battery will help. Is it possible to rebind the ESC with half power?

I use these in my propulse/megatech ( same exact car )

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-20c-1800-2s1p-2222.html

They last forever, I also ran these on the stock ESC ( which is also the same ) and never had issues.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

If you have a youtube account, click on the video I posted on page 2 (the running video,not the unboxing). He has all sorts of minis including the recon. I think he said that the diff and the wheels were really the main problems.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Initiate

any updates on these?
Old 12-25-2011, 12:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How can I deactivate reverse on the car? I dont see it mentioned on the ESC.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:01 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcindia
How can I deactivate reverse on the car? I dont see it mentioned on the ESC.

If the ESC is like the Propulse ( which i think it is ), just flip the switch on the top of the ESC from S to R and that will disable reverse and just give you brake.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

These were very popular during the Christmas week sales, we were out of stock but luckily another half of dozen arrived just in time before last weekend. They are pretty quick out of the box, handle is pretty nimble. We were able to use some of factory team parts for rc18 first gen as hop-up parts for the mini recon. Although I don't really think ball diffs are necessary for this 1/18 vehicle, they should have used gear diff instead.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Opened my Mini Recon on Christmas Morning. Here's my general impressions:

1) Wow - those little pins are tiny!
2) It's a surprising quick and nimble little guy right out of the box.
3) Yes - you can flip the switch on the top of the ESC (with a pin or something) and lock out reverse.
4) Tires are on the hard side so not very much traction on any smooth surface but does make the donuts fun.
5) Cracked my rims quickly doing jumps off the plastic BMX Ramps we take the 1/10 scale stuff over. So far though - that's the only injuries to the truck.
6) Stock battery has surprisingly good run time. Can't give you specifics cause I didn't really pay attention - but took it out for several runs in the cold before ever recharging.
7) Stock controller feels nice in the hand. It's not my DX3S - but it's not bad. Full size Spektrum RX won't fit where the current RX is. Not sure yet if it's worth it to me to get a micro.
8) Better tires/rims from an RC18 are top on my list. Past that - there's nothing else I'm ready to change on the little guy.
9) I'm no where near knowledgeable enough to be able to speak about Ball Diffs vs. Gear Diffs - so I have no idea how to tell if I'm having issues with my Ball Diffs - but I'm happy so far.

That's my story for now. Very much enjoying this new ride.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

cool to hear you're having fun. mini recon was one of the best selling mini r/c cars this holiday season at my LHS. We only saw couple coming back due to bad driving and human error. Overall, it's a pretty solid car. I wish HPI will invest more time in producing some hop-up parts even though couple other 1/18 trucks that HPI cloned from mentioned in this forum already have hop-up availables.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

Checking back in with an update for anyone following this thread that cares...

Just got done running my Mini Recon on my Lunch Hour. Weather outdoors is beautiful so I thought I'd go for a walk. Walked for 20 minutes (around a neighborhood beside my office. Had the Recon zipping all over the streets while I walked - never really stopped, racing away from me, back to me, then away from me again. When I came inside at the 20 minutes it was still speeding right along - though it was a little slower then when I went out. For a stock battery - I'm very pleased.

Looks like I have 1 leaky shock at this point. Not sure what weight oil to put back in it when I rebuild so if anyone has suggestions that'd be great. I'm guessing light weight as small as they are.

One of my Rims is extremely busted up around the edge but the CA is holding nicely while I get some new tires.

Found a great deal on some Pro-Pulse Tires - I realize this are probably cheap as well - but I'm paying dirt cheap for them. Anyone know if they will hold up at all better than the recon?

I'm looking for some RC18 Tires for not so much for it.

All in all - I'm very happy with the little guy.

Oh and as an FYI - I hate Antenna sticking up out of my RC Cars (especially in the world of 2.4ghz). Just for grins, I bent the Antenna tube back and chased it between the 2 rear body mounts as I mounted the body. I had the truck a couple blocks away from me at least without any issues whatsoever. I'll be doing this every time I mount the body from now on for the cleaner look and no tube to get caught in a crash.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Tech Initiate

I use Propulse tires on my RC18's and Propulses and although they are a little hard, they still hook up well on most surfaces and they wear much better than any other tires I've used.
They make a tire that looks identical to the old 1/18 proline dirt hawgs and that's the tires I mainly use.
I bought them from RadioShack for $1 a set when they were clearing out all the old Propulse parts a few years ago. I cleared the racks when I saw that deal so I should be set for life on wheels and tires, but you can still find them pretty cheap sometimes.

Does anyone know for sure if RC18 diffs will fit in the Recon? I know I've used them in my Propulses but I wasn't sure if the Recon is exactly the same as the Propulse when it comes to gearbox specs.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

WOW does it really have 4 tough shocks?
Old 01-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
WOW does it really have 4 tough shocks?
Not sure I understand your question. It does have 4 oil filled maintainable shocks. I have 1 that appears to be leaking a bit after some bashing but I've not investigated it yet. I'm watching on ebay a set of aluminum shocks for the RC18s for about $25. I'm considering those if I can't reseal this current shock - but I'm betting I can.

Waiting on my new wheels/tires to get here so I can go tearing up some asphalt again.

Very pleased with this little truck.

Originally Posted by acerpower
I use Propulse tires on my RC18's and Propulses and although they are a little hard, they still hook up well on most surfaces and they wear much better than any other tires I've used.
Thanks. I'm guessing mine will arrive Monday or Tuesday. Eager to put them on as the Recons are pretty tore up at this point. I've got glue on glue on the rims. LOL
Old 01-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Can some of you help with wheel fitting?

Mine have cracks after the first run in a car park

There's not many RC18 wheels available here in the UK so I was considering some 1/10 wheels. I read somewhere they need hex adapters

Or what else would fit straight on the Mini Recon?

Links would be brilliant please

In fact, I'm going to send HPI an email about it as everyone seems to be having the same issue with this car's wheels.

EDIT: Have sent a nice email

Last edited by reconrich; 01-15-2012 at 06:46 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Found some hop ups for the recon, it also shares some parts with hpi's discontinued brama18b. and I've been told the rc18's diffs fit.
Hotracing has some aluminum parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.