Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
WARNING !!! Hobbypartz TACON mini motors. >

WARNING !!! Hobbypartz TACON mini motors.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WARNING !!! Hobbypartz TACON mini motors.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Originally Posted by nhmade
I run Tacons and cant say i have ever had a problem.
Hell they rarely ever get hot..lol...
Run WAYYYY Cooler than my Castle CM36 motors! Im sorry Tacons are worth twice what they sell for easily! Not saying his might not have been bad thou... But I rarely hear of bad motors. Its generally another electronic. Battery, servo, rx, esc, but a motor is so basic. Wire, bearings, bushings and magnets. But it could happin. Im still puttin my money on the ESC failed due to itself or battery or servo maybe.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCaddict0
Run WAYYYY Cooler than my Castle CM36 motors! Im sorry Tacons are worth twice what they sell for easily! Not saying his might not have been bad thou... But I rarely hear of bad motors. Its generally another electronic. Battery, servo, rx, esc, but a motor is so basic. Wire, bearings, bushings and magnets. But it could happin. Im still puttin my money on the ESC failed due to itself or battery or servo maybe.
Could not agree more..Very smooth power band on them to...
What was the KV on the motor???
I know sidewinders are not fun to play with on higher kv motors..I can peronally say i have cooked a few..
Old 06-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If it happened turning on the switch the motor Kv shouldn't matter, but if it was internally shorted then it could kill the ESC as it sends the arming tones to the motor. I think it shouldn't be that easy to kill it without pulling any throttle, but possible nonetheless. I also think it is well worth it to send the Sidewinder to Castle for inspection. If it did indeed begin smoking and catch fire just by turning on the switch with the correct battery polarity and voltage, I would suspect the ESC much more than the motor, regardless of it's previous successes. Worst case scenario--they tell you the motor caused the problem, and you are out the cost of shipping it to them.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:28 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm currently running 5 Tacon motors in various vehicles, and with different ESCs, 4 being Castle ESCs, and all are working flawlessly.
In fact the first Castle combo I ever bought was defective, Castle replaced it for me(after taking my credit card info) and it worked great ever since.
Sometimes you just get defective electronics, no matter what brand it is.
Even though my first Castle motor was junk, I'd still recommend Castle's motors, but I'd recommend Tacom motors over Castle just for the price alone. Both motors perform pretty much equally in my opinion.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

as long as you don't pull the trigger you should be able to twist the motor leads coming from the esc together and turn the esc on without a hitch. i seriously doubt your tacon motor burnt up your castle esc.

even if the tacon motor somehow killed your esc, i'd place the blame on the esc itself right off the bat. castle is supposed to have the best customer support in the industry and you sure do pay for it. plus... you know you're out an esc obviously.

basically... if you blame the motor you may be out a motor and an esc.
however... if you blame the esc... you might just get a replacement and find out your motor works just fine.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Castle controllers send signals to the motor for the arming tones upon startup. It should be able to handle the wires all connected in a dead short, but there is something being sent to the motor almost instantly once you flip the switch, so I dont think we can rule that out just yet.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

i tell you what i have a older mamba 25 esc that has been laying around for a few years now that i know works well. if you send me the motor i will try it on the esc and i will tell you if its bad and i will gladly send it back to you if the motor is ok . just send me a private message

Last edited by rc18junky; 07-02-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my money is also on a dead short, with maximum throttle being pulled as soon as the esc completed it's arming procedure.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I have also run Tacon motors ( 540 size ) and they have always preformed flawlessly.

They are a bit faster on top end than castle motors and are lot smoother through the power band.

The 4420kv in my sig that resides in my Yokomo has seen, rain, 3s speed runs, 200+ degress, and it still pulls strong after 150+ runs.....
Old 07-11-2011, 04:01 PM
No9
Tech Master

We have a fixed class where i race and there would be at least 15 tacon 4100kv
motors in use.we run oval and have never had a single issue with them.The mix of speedys is hobbywing ,mamba and tekin.